MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I hate Martyrs can't stand it and I like gory movie usually

Nosferatu is great but didn't make my list

Welcome to the human race...
Nosferatu the Vampyre was my #18. The 1922 version is still a respectable classic and all (and may very well crack the list anyway), but this is the one that really got under my skin with its grim atmospherics. The scene where Isabelle Adjani stumbles onto a town square riddled with insane citizens is one that's really stuck with me.

Haven't seen Martyrs.

Nosferatu The Vampyre is still on my watchlist. I kinda expect it to be good but didn't get to watch it before the voting. Martyrs is probably the best New French Extremity film I've seen (as a clarification I don't usually like them), Not even in contention for my vote but still a positive surprise with perfectly fitting end.

Seen: 44/54

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Just watched Heredity a couple nights ago, fell asleep like 30 minutes in. Tried picking it up where I fell asleep the next night and lasted about another 15 minutes, seriously thought this movie was a snooze. Just my opinion

I give Cabin in the Woods points for creativity, but I didn't enjoy the movie very much. Too meta for its own good. I could practically hear the writers clapping themselves on the back with every subverted trope, which gave the movie a certain smugness that I found off-putting. After recently watching and loving the director's Bad Times at the El Royale, I'm curious to go back and give Cabin in the Woods another shot.

Re-visited Gremlins not too long ago. I hadn't seen it since I was probably eight years old or younger. I was surprised by how well I remembered most of it. Even though I don't love it, I have no problem with it making the countdown. As I said during the eligibility controversy, Gremlins is essentially horror for kids. At least The New Batch didn't make the countdown. I watched that earlier this year and thought it was absolute butt cheeks. If Joe Dante's intention was to kill the franchise by making the sequel as shrill and grating as possible, he certainly succeeded.

I knew that Event Horizon was a popular guilty pleasure, but I'm still shocked and disappointed to see it place this high. I love the premise, but the execution is extremely lacking. I've wanted to see Martyrs for a long time now, but it's never been available to me through my normal viewing methods. I'm a fan of other New French Extreme movies, and everything I've seen and heard about Martyrs makes me think I'll love it.

I think Bram Stoker's Dracula sucks more than just blood. I generally like Keanu Reeves, but this movie feels like Exhibit A for all the people who sh*t on his acting ability. Winona Ryder is my all-time biggest celebrity crush, but she feels miscast as well. I guess if you're really into makeup, costume design and Gary Oldman overacting, this is the movie for you. The adjectives that people typically use to describe the movie -- "lush," "sensual," "theatrical," etc. -- are basically the antonyms for my preferred type of horror, so clearly the movie isn't for me.

I go back and forth between Nosferatu (1922) and Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) as to which is the greatest vampire movie ever made. It's basically 1A and 1B. I decided to vote for the silent version, but Herzog's remake is equally impressive. Herzog brings his sense of extraordinary realism to the horror genre, making the fantastical seem frighteningly plausible. The atmosphere and all-encompassing dread are nearly unparalleled. Kinski gives an incredibly haunting performance. Herzog pays homage to the original by recreating certain shots, but also makes the film completely his own. Pure cinematic poetry. If only all horror films were made with such staggering skill.

The Cabin in the Woods 2011

Cool concept and movie, could have worked even better with a slightly different cast (maybe).
Liked Zombieland a bit more, think that can be credited to it's cast.
I did add The Cabin in the Woods to my personal top 100 horror list @ #82.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Dracula and Nosferatu are two very respectable vampire movies that didn't quite make my list. I'd never heard of Martyrs before, but it sounds horrible. Which is probably the point, but I'm not sure I'd want to put myself through it.

At this point I think I safely write off a chunk of the films on my list that won't make it. Oh well.

Finally another from my list hits. I had Bram Stoker's Dracula at #14. I remember a lot of horror fans absolutely hating it when it was released for the kind of reasons that CS spoke of. Sensual, lush, theatrical, too much of a romance, but all that works so well for me here and makes this my favourite Dracula film. It's full of worthy types giving scene-chewingly wonderful performances. Obviously Oldman is front and centre, but keep in mind Hopkins almost rivalling his Lecter-hamming best as Van Helsing. Ryder and Reeves (two actors I like) both doing their best RADA impressions and coming across as 6th form drama class RADA wannabes. All this before we get to a supporting cast of Tom Waits, Richard E. Grant, Cary Elwes and Billy Campbell all in full panto form, while a virginal nynphomanical Sadie Frost tries to shag every man on screen either in word or act.

What's not to love? Well, that, apparently. But for me it's almost magical and a film I can drop into or out of with ease. Which is probably a common trait for most of the films on my list.

Seeing Nosferatu the Vampyre here reminds me that I should watch that again. I've not seen it since the early 90's and it might've made my list otherwise.

Obviously I've not seen Martyrs, but I do own it... I think.

Had Martyrs at 23. It's a tough one to watch that's for sure. First time I watched it was with my GF (she can actually handle some pretty tough stuff) and she sat all curled up with a scowl on her face, glaring at me occasionally. She wasn't liking it too much and when they
WARNING: "" spoilers below
strapped Anna to the gurney
she abruptly left the room with a very emphatic "That's it! I've seen enough. How can you watch this?" in an effort to cover my backside I pulled a Ralphie and blamed my buddy - "Not my fault - Shane recommended it!!" He didn't of course but it alleviated some of the tension.

This is one of the movies that I think is good but rarely, if ever, recommend.

A system of cells interlinked
Martyrs is a film I absolutely hated. It was almost unbearable to watch and I will certainly never watch it again, and I don't even like thinking or talking about it. Seriously depraved stuff, through and through.

That said, I had to include it on my list. It was really well made, and it stayed true to its sick, twisted vision until the end. I felt physically ill after watching it, and dammit if that isn't some visceral horror cinema.

I had Martyrs at # 25.

hell yeah (2)

Martyrs is really good and would probably make an extended list of mine.

My List
#1. The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)
#6. Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)
#11. Onibaba (Kineto Shindo, 1964)
#12. Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog, 1979)
#15. Angst (Gerald Kargl, 1983)
#17. The Wailing (Hong-jin Na, 2016)
#21. Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932)
#22. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016)

Also, how can anyone keep a straight face during Bram Stoker's Dracula with this guy

Just watched Nosferatu the Vampyre. It's been a long time since I saw the original but I think I liked its style more. Herzog's film is more theatrical and its best looking scenes are more or less directly copied from the old one. Not bad but I expected more.

Seen: 45/54

No movies from my choice ballot from the fifteen most recent entries. My vote list up to now.

2. FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
11. DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1931)
13. FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III (1982)
14. ZOMBIELAND (2009)
24. DEEP RED (1975)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edward Hyde.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	53385  

Eyes Without A Face (1960)
Runtime: 1 Hr 24 Mins
Production Company: Champs-Élysées Productions
Distributed by Lux Compagnie Cinématographique de France
Nine Votes
100 Points (20, 19, 18, 15, 11, 6, 6, 3, 2)
High Voter: @Nope1172
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eyes Without A Face 46.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	53386