What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

The New World

Not your typical hollywood movie. More of an art film or a documentary told from the perspective of different characters. The opening scenes were so full of realism, I was almost afraid for any dialogue to start...that would spoil the feeling. But surprise, the dialogue didn't spoil the realism. Maybe no surprise to those familiar with Malick's work.

This movie will get two responses...those bored to death by the slow pace, little dialogue and little typical movie "action" and those who will love the artistry and loving care given to the characters, the environment and the particular time in history.

This is Pocahontas' story, though it began as John Smith's story. It's Pocahontas who remains the central character throughout. Played with a subtle and sensitive realism by 14 year old Q'Orianka Kilcher. While there's definitely passion between Pocahontas and Smith, there's no physical display of it. Possibly due to Kilcher's age and/or a refusal by Malick to do anything ordinary.

Another theme here is...just who are the savages? One of the English spends time with the "naturals" as the English call them and begins to question the "superiority" of his culture. And there are times when the English are shown in a very unfavorable light, including tirades with spittle dripping off their chins while degrading the "savages." The contrast of cultures is a main theme in the movie.

Colin Farrell and Christian Bale both portray good, decent men and if Cinderella Man is any indication, that may be the box office kiss of death. I think mood and expectation are critical to watching this movie. If your mood is wrong are you're expecting something else (typical hollywood), you might be disappointed. But if you're ok with a slower pace, subtle and sensitive characters and the most realism this side of a PBS documentary; you might have a very good time.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

The last movies i saw were Harry Potter and Narnia and i liked both of them

there's a frog in my snake oil
The Cartoon & The Finished Piece

So many films never see the light of day, but Winterbottom’s latest has reached full term in rambunctious style, bearing its deformities proudly and making comic light of its difficult birth. And that’s what makes this raking exercise in flea-scratching such a pleasing version of the shaggy dog tale Tristram Shandy.
You don’t need to have read the book to enjoy this ‘post-pre-post-modern’ journey into the tribulations of filmmaking and life’s eternal mysteries. Thankfully though, a literary expert pops up anyway to give us an apt definition of the book’s intentions. Sterne’s 18th Century ‘soap opera’ demonstrated, at luxurious length, how impossible it is to pin life down. Nobody can enclose life in a single book – and even an army of individuals can’t encircle it’s elusive bads-and-goods.
For this reason, Winterbottom has focused on the reality he knows best – the heavy-footed eggshell-dance of filmmaking, with all the strange vapours and distinct flavours that that collaborative effort brings.

Our ‘hero’ (Steve Coogan) spends more time primping his lead-man’s ego, and negotiating tabloid journos, than partaking in the film. His ample partner-in-crime (Rob Brydon) helps the absurder moments grow with his finely-pitched performance, as troublesome production meetings and problematic plastic wombs make sure the pre-planned story must find new ways to flow.
Art will always fail to imitate life, says the literary expert, and to that we could add science too. The science of filmmaking gets put under the 18th Century microscope here, and its minutae form - would you believe - a very expressive tapestry.
Where the films fails (and not in the failing-funnily sense) is that Coogan simply can't sum up the digressive and impressive audacity of the original author/protagonist - and the film as whole has gone for a far simpler goal. Seeing the film industry put through the reflective wringer of some old-school dissembling is all well and good (and fun too), but it just can't present the joyous, undaunted and expansive exploits of the original book.

Thankfully, Tristram's tale is explained mainly through the actions of others - so as much as Coogan is limited by the self-parodying lead-actor role he's stuck with, and as much the scope is narrowed down to the world of film and precious little else, there's an array of delights swinging round the small but weighty premise on show. From the self-assured intro to the conjured chaos that ensues, Winterbottom's latest is well worth a view (And frankly, i was crying tears of laughter despite myself at the Brydon-Coogan improv with which the curtain closes).

Underworld: Evolution

The ongoing battle between the Vampires and the Lycans and the occasional hybrid. I was entertained. It was lightyears above BloodRayne, a similar themed movie I saw a few weeks ago. Kate Beckinsale carried herself well. I don't know what is more mesmerizing, her crystal blue eyes or the black latex suit. Ok, I do know...the scene where she's in no suit at all with hybrid lover, Michael Corvin. Oh Kate Kate, you make me palpitate.

My main complaint about the movie might be the direction the script chose to go. It some ways, it was a better Doom movie than Doom. It was all monsters, all the time (or almost.) Battle after battle between vampire and lycan or vampire and vampire. Almost too much superhuman pugilism.

I think I missed the human element. I missed the puny, vulnerable humans. This movie was tough, tougher and toughest.

That aside, it was good action, good effects and good acting. Those English accents (and Derek Jacobi) lend an increased credibility to the whole thing. Once again, a genre of movie that didn't used to attract quality actors has...Kate and Jacobi. And it makes a considerable difference.

Good, rollicking vampire fun...Rating: B-

The last movie I saw was The Chronicles of Narnia. It was good, but I think it could have been a lot better. The snow scenes were far too 'life like' in my view; I think some graphical effects would have made Narnia the true fantasy dream world that I imagined it to be. Also, the witch was a bit bland...

A movie to compare the special effects with is The Polar Express. It had superior special effects and snow scenes, but the story was obviously nothing of a classic compared to Narnia. If Narnia had borrowed some of the graphical renderings from the Polar Express, it would have been a superior movie altogether.

"The ultimate dream adventure awaiting humanity..."

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by AA Institute
The last movie I saw was The Chronicles of Narnia. It was good, but I think it could have been a lot better. The snow scenes were far too 'life like' in my view; I think some graphical effects would have made Narnia the true fantasy dream world that I imagined it to be. Also, the witch was a bit bland...
I thought the witch was deliciously evil... I just didn't care for her Kill Bill fight scene. Also I felt if Mr. Tumnus was going to hug little kids he better get a shirt on or cover up those nipples with his woolen mufflers.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Brokeback Mountain - not quite the 5-star instant classic it is proclaimed to be in some quarters, but still a very well made, touching and satisfying film; well worth watching.

Brokeback Mountain

Wow, what a good movie. Let me point out the first thing I noticed. Many times, when a well educated, articulate actor attempts to portray a simple, uneducated person, it doesn't ring true. Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams both did marvelous jobs portraying simple people. I've known people very much like Ennis and Ledger was spot on.

The first half of the movie was a little slow, mostly in anticipation of that initial attraction between Ennis and Jack. But it was necessary for the slow buildup of intensity. The story and emotions slowly built to a crescendo by the end. What began as a simple story with not much going on was a powerful movie of mutliple emotions and character interactions by the end. Bravo.

Also, I was very aware of a "gay love story" in the beginning. But by the end, it was just a love story. Between two people who couldn't live the lives and be with the people they wanted.

I really like Michelle Williams, even moreso after this film. But there was a waitress? who fell for Ennis later in the movie...God, what a cutie! And she was very effective. A small but strong part. Watch for this girl.

While I think Ledger and Williams were the standouts, Gyllenhaal was very good too. In fact, I think his performance became better as the film progressed and he grew older. He seemed to have more substance as the older Jack.

Anne Hathaway was sort of like Jack Black in King Kong for me. The one I wasn't certain about. But like Black, she was right for the role and did a good job in her last scene that was important to the movie.

Like all good movies, there's much to talk about when the movie is over. My wife and I had an hour or so discussion before and during dinner. She absolutely loved it, an A from her. I liked it a lot, A-.

Originally Posted by Twain
But there was a waitress? who fell for Ennis later in the movie...God, what a cutie! And she was very effective. A small but strong part. Watch for this girl.

That's Linda Cardellini, and if you really want to fall head over heels in love with her, go get yourself the unfairly short-lived television show "Freaks & Geeks" (1999-2000). It's was a great, great show, and she was the star of it. For the past three seasons she's been part of the cast of "E.R.", and she's loveable as Heck on that show too. Sadly her biggest movie role to date is as Velma in the two retarded live-action Scooby-Doo flicks, but I'm glad Ang Lee put her in his movie, even if it does have limited screentime. My only question about her work in Brokeback Mountain is this: how come we don't get to see her naked too? Unfair, man.

But go rent, or better yet buy "Freaks & Geeks" as soon as possible, if not sooner.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Get Rich or Die Trying

Poorly acted, poorly scripted and well, pretty worthless. I don't follow 50 Cent or his music, and after the film, i'm not going to either. The film bogs itself down in the idea of giving 50 a gangster image, and all the other aspects are neglected. His transition from gangster to rapper happens when the writers decided it was time for it. The one thing i did like was Lost's Mr Ecko, appart from that nothing else really amounted to anything. I did somewhat enjoy bits, but by no means do i recommend it.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Match Point. **** around, Woody Allen!

Just a girl who loves movies
The last movie I saw on the cinema screen was The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones Diary sequel). I could barely drag my BF there

Good Night and Good Luck

I have mixed feelings about this one. It was a behind the scenes look at an important time in US history and an important time for the media. Strathairn was incredible as Murrow and deserved an Oscar nom. All the supporting cast was very good...Clooney, Downey, Langella, Daniels.

I admire the courage and the do the right thing attitude by Murrow and CBS. Where would be if no one had the courage to do the right thing? That part of the film kept me very involved.

But something was missing. I think it may have been a mistake to use actual footage of McCarthy. An actor who could do McCarthy as well as Strathairn did Murrow might have been better.

And maybe there wasn't enough personal insight into these news people. About the only personal touch was a secretive marriage between Downey and Patricia Clarkson. And that worked well.

I'm politically liberal and McCarthy's tactics remind me of certain contemporary political figures. For one, far right pundit and "writer" Ann Coulter is an admirer of McCarthy. Secondly, IMO some in the Bush administration are not that far removed from ol' Joe's behavior...mainly Rove, Libby and Cheney. So, there was no better time than the present for a reminder of the showdown between McCarthy and Edward R Murrow.

Among top rated movies like Brokeback Mountain, Capote and Munich; this was the one I most looked forward to. And while I have great admiration for the person of Murrow and for Clooney for bringing it to the screen, as a "movie" it was not as good as Brokeback Mountain. Now I need to see Capote and Munich to see if either one of them can surpass Brokeback.

Admiration for Murrow, Stathairn's performance and George Clooney...A+

Good Night and Good Luck as a movie...B

The Chronicles of Narnia for the 5th time. What a great movie.

Yeah that is a great movie. Unbelievable CGI on the lion... Last film I saw was King Kong I think... Not sure.
"Directing ain't about drawing a neat little picture and showing it to the cameraman. I didn't want to go to film school. I didn't know what the point was. The fact is, you don't know what directing is until the sun is setting and you've got to get five shots and you're only going to get two." - David Fincher

Just a girl who loves movies
I am not into fantasy, but I did enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia. was nice ..

Put me in your pocket...
The Pink Panther
I took my daughter and four of her friends to see this yesterday. They all loved it and laugh alot...as did the other kids in the crowd. On a postive note..I did laugh in some spots and it was a nice family outing....but on a negative note I don't like Steve in this kind of role and there were spots I cringed (like a silly back-up dance number he does with Jean Reno). Unfortunately, now I'm comparing this movie (in my mind) to his worse movies rather than his better movies, which is kinda sad.

I think it will be a hit with the younger crowd though. My daughter already wants us to buy the DVD when it comes out.