Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Three In The Attic (Richard Wilson, 1968)
+
A swinging 69 in 68

I'm watching all of them in release order.
So far:
1973 Badlands ★★★
1978 Days of Heaven ★★★
1998 The Thin Red Line ★★★★★
2005 The New World ★★★★★

I watched The Tree of Life back in 2011 but honestly I can't remember anything. The other ones I never watched. The Thin Red Line is my favorite so far!
Good luck you your journey Ultraviolence, it's always how you approach a film as to whether it can be a fulfilling experience...or not.

If any of you are like I am, it's nice to peruse these threads in order to get suggestions for movies to watch. Consequently I'm copying some comments I made to I. Rex's nice review of The Genius of Beethoven (2005) in the "Movie Reviews" section.

I’m glad that I. Rex wrote a review of The Genius of Beethoven. Otherwise I might have never have known of its existence.

The 3 part series uses an unusual format: a period docudrama with frequent interludes by the composer/conductor/musicologist Charles Hazelwood, who is himself a highly regarded and popular figure today’s contemporary and classical music scene. Hazelwood deftly provides musical insight and explanation of music theory which accompanies the drama that anyone could understand.
The series in only 3 hours does an excellent job of capsulizing Beethoven’s life and career, which could easily withstand a 12 or 15 hour presentation. Many of the highlights (and low lights) of Beethoven’s life are examined. The viewer does not have to know anything about music, nor to be a fan of Beethoven to enjoy this mesmerizing series.

Beethoven single-handedly brought to a close the historical music period known as the Classical period and transitioned music into a new style referred to as the Romantic period. In the process he composed some of the most powerful music ever heard, until the appearance of later composers such as Wagner, Richard Strauss, Prokofiev, and Stravinsky. I spent 6 years in music school, where we studied Beethoven’s symphonies and piano sonatas. We were astounded that someone in the early 1800s had composed music of his complexity and innovation.

The acting is first rate, with Paul Rhys turning in a fine performance as Beethoven. The supporting cast is peppered with seasoned British actors. The music performance is perfect-- the orchestral segments presumably performed by Hazelwood’s “Army of Generals” orchestra, comprised of some of the UK’s finest musicians.

The BBC has done some extraordianry documentaries over the years, and this miniseries ranks up in the top tier. All 3 parts are available on YouTube, so it’s easily accessible. Treat yourself to an absorbing and unusual docudrama.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Unregistered User

Up Series (1964-)

At times fascinating however the constant flashbacks do get quite confusing in that I kept forgetting which episode I have already watched! Still, was really interesting watching all the characters grow up, especially Neill who went through some serious ups and downs.

This movie is terrifying. The hat man is truly and utterly terrifying. Everyone's worst fears come alive in this movie.

Not as good as the first one but it has a decent amount if action in it

How old are you?
Why??? Rude to ask a girls age you know

Up Series (1964-)

At times fascinating however the constant flashbacks do get quite confusing in that I kept forgetting which episode I have already watched! Still, was really interesting watching all the characters grow up, especially Neill who went through some serious ups and downs.

Love The Up Series so much, 63 Up next year! I love Tony as well, he was initially cast because the producers thought he'd end up a criminal due to his poor background and mischievous nature. So great to see him prove them wrong and turn out a good guy with a solid job and family.

Also Bruce is a gosh darn saint! He really made the best of his priveleged upbringing. Rich people who spend time volunteering in Africa or wherever often come across phony to me but i have no qualms with saying he is a genuinely good person.

I was drawn to this movie because I don't recall ever seeing it before. The story was forgettable (co-written under a pseudonym by Dalton Trumbo), but there were two things that got my attention.

One: The cinematography was unusual and innovative for the time (1949). There was lots of location footage, but what was interesting was how many scenes were shot with the camera in the back seat of a car, showing the action of the people in the front seat, and observing integral action occurring where they were driving. I wondered who the cinematographer was, so I looked him up. Sure enough, it was Russell Harlan, who photographed Witness for the Prosecution, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Hatari. The picture is worth watching just for Harlan's work.

Two: John Dall co-starred with Peggy Cummings. He seemed too refined for the role, but yet he seemed very familiar. I couldn't place what else he'd been in. Then it came to me that he'd co-starred with Farley Granger in Rope. He was best at portraying sophisticated characters.

Nice film. Good role for Cummings.

~Doc

Unregistered User
Love The Up Series so much, 63 Up next year! I love Tony as well, he was initially cast because the producers thought he'd end up a criminal due to his poor background and mischievous nature. So great to see him prove them wrong and turn out a good guy with a solid job and family.

Also Bruce is a gosh darn saint! He really made the best of his priveleged upbringing. Rich people who spend time volunteering in Africa or wherever often come across phony to me but i have no qualms with saying he is a genuinely good person.

Yes, is this still happening? I couldn't find anything on it. I know Apted said as long as he was still alive he would do it! Tony was great as well, easily the most genuine of them all although I loved the connection with Neill and Bruce later on, despite how boring he across the first few series. But yes, literally a life saver I would say.
Suzy also was a real surprise. She totally changed when she got married.

Yes, is this still happening? I couldn't find anything on it. I know Apted said as long as he was still alive he would do it! Tony was great as well, easily the most genuine of them all although I loved the connection with Neill and Bruce later on, despite how boring he across the first few series. But yes, literally a life saver I would say.
Suzy also was a real surprise. She totally changed when she got married.
I haven't heard anything about it but it's scheduled and like you said Apted said it'll happen as long as he's alive.

Bruce being weirdly depressed when he was a child then it staying with him as he got older and becoming about the plight of less fortunate people through to him and Neil in 56 Up is the most heartwarming life tragectory. Neil really worried me, so depressing even when he had kind of got things together when he was living on that island putting on plays he seemed seriously unhinged and it felt shortlived, hope he's doing better.

Why??? Rude to ask a girls age you know
Sorry, didn't figure out you are a girl.

I was just surprised that Transformer 2 would receive a 4 star rating in this forum.
Its alright and I quite like all the transformer movies to be honest. Just so you know I'm in my late 20's

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I would compare it to Perfetti sconosciuti and it's a big compliment. Really like this kind of movies - wise comedy.