Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Yeah, I expected something else, but it's not a disappointment. Tilda was made for this kind of role. I remember her in Constantine where she played angel Gabriel. I saw her there for a first time and I was wondering, if Gabriel is she or he.
Yeah and they seemed to be going for that with her role in Doctor Strange.

It's funny because she probably isn't the most androgynous actress out there and yet I found the transition between sexes convincing in a really compelling way. It's so well done that scene.

This might just do nobody any good.
Her Snowpiercer character was written for a man.

Her Snowpiercer character was written for a man.
I think Ripley in Alien was conceived as a male character too. I suppose the question these days is how much thought should be put in about who the character is before it comes to casting.

During watching this movie I ate: soup with 2 croquettes, 1 pack of Tortilla Chips, 3 handfuls of hazelnuts and I drank 2 cups of tea. It's bad for my health to watch movies about food.
Ha I was going to recommend another movie about cooking, but maybe I shouldn't?

Oh well, I tell you about it, The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014)
I really enjoyed it. And I enjoyed Chef too.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Hundred-Foot Journey really is an enjoyable film. Especially the family - loved them

Sideways (2004)

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Snowman: 1 out of 10 (Arguably doesnt even qualify as a movie in the first place because of how broken it is)
Geostorm: 2 out of 10 (Stupid across the board)
Thor 3: Soft 9 out of 10 (Uninspiring resolution, needed more Hela, but everything else was solid)

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
10/10 for The Exorcist. I've only recently gotten into the horror genre, but the entire movie was just fascinating on multiple levels, and not just the scare department.

For me it wasn't a scary movie as a whole (there are one or two terrifying moments but that was it), but if you're a squeamish person I recommend you stay very far away.

Thor: Ragnarok (2017) -

Finally, a Thor film where half the plot doesn't take place on Earth with those horrible characters. It only took 6 years, but it was worth the wait.

I haven't particularly cared for a Marvel film since the first Guardians of the Galaxy, so Ragnarok was a pleasant change for me. While I did find the beginning to be a little uneven, and didn't care for the amount of jumping around in one particular scene, the film was definitely intriguing from the start. The visual design is amazing, and it has its own style that manages to set itself apart while still feeling at home in the established cosmic universe.

Unfortunately it does occasionally fall into "Guardians vol 2" territory, by hammering in too many jokes when less would've been far more effective, but luckily most of them do work this time around. I've been a fan of The Mighty Thor since I was a kid, so it's nice to see the character finally done right. Now it's on to hoping for a similar follow-up to Doctor Strange.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ragnarok.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	37550  

Boldly going.
Thor: Ragnarok
8.5/10
Loved it! Fun and epic, as it should be. The humour is akin to what we had in the first act of the first Thor movie (when Thor was mortal). I was wondering how, with a title like Ragnarok, they'd keep it from getting really, really dark, but they pulled it off and (without giving away too much) yes, had Ragnarok of a sorts.

The biggest drawback for me was the 3D: I don't know if it was how the 3D glasses were sitting on my glasses or what, but I found much of it disorienting. I might go see it again in 2D (first movie this year that I've wanted to see more than once in the cinema!)

One of my favourite movies this year.

The truth is in here
Video Violence

So this was a real oddity... The director Gary Cohen was himself an owner of a video store, but annoyed over how people always rented horror movies (particularly slashers) instead of any classic Golden Age features. He then came up with the idea to make a horror movie himself, but rather one which mocks the obsession people have with seeing violence on film. The question is whether or not he succeded...

Right from the very start, you should know what you are in for is very cheap entertainment. If you compare to direct-to-video movies released today, they look incredibly professional in comparison. But the focus is not on masterful cinematography or even Oscar-winning directing, it's what the subtext of this movie tries to communicate... oh, and gore. Lots and lots of gore.
What's odd about this movie is that even though it's satire, it does kinda fall into the trap of what it's mocking sometimes. It constantly goes back and forth between simple trashy entertainment or a thought-provoking social commentary. Even the music itself is very cheesy and silly, drowning out the dialogue of the characters. The acting is hilariously bad, especially with the torture master duo Howard and Eli. Another standout is William Toddle as Chief of Police, who completely hams it up as possibly the grumpiest and stupidest sheriff you'll see in quite a while. Not only is he extremely persistent in not believing video store owner Steven right from the start, but he accidentally erases the evidence from a tape once he gets it, claiming he knows how to operate the VCR himself.

The satire is pretty clunky, but at times the movie does succeed at what it sets out to do. There's a scene where a woman is in the store wanting to rent Blood Cult to watch with her baby, mind you a movie literally called Blood Cult. Steven informs it has a lot of graphic violence, but she's fine with it as long as there's no nudity. There's a scene where a guy is in the sofa munching popcorn while critiquing literally nothing but footage of a woman getting brutally murdered like a high-production feature film. Steven and his wife Rachel are also likable protagonists, and basically hold the moral centre in this movie. Sure, the actors who play them are far from perfect, but compared to the rest of the acting they are doing just fine. What really sticks out is the cynical and depressing tone. Even when the movie is really funny, there are times where I was genuinely a little disturbed, just for how sickly gleeful the ones partaking in the murders are. The hardest part to watch is when Howard and Eli slowly sets up the murder of a woman, with Eli carving his name into her chest. It was going on for so long that I was actually getting worried about what would happen to the victim, which means that maybe Cohen knew what he was doing after all.

It's not a particularly good movie. It's really slow and I found myself checking my watch a few times wondering how far it had come. But if you're looking for something unique, and maybe trashy but also with a little brains behind, you could do worse.

(Low)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Spoilers. He's not another Doug.

Plot:A family forced to live in the woods is torn apart by the unknown evil that lies within the seemingly endless forest surrounding them.

One of the greatest films I have ever seen.

The horror is perfect. It escalates slowly though out the film until it hits a breaking point at the end. This is helped by some extremely uncomfortable moments, some which most horror movies wouldn’t have the balls to show. The horror is also helped by some extremely unique jumpscares. This is done by suddenly cutting from a scene with no sound to a scene with high sound, causing a very jarring effect in the viewer. Akin to the Conjuring, it has a jumpscare that completely subverts audiences expectations (Most cinephiles will know the scene I'm speaking of.

The cinematography is bleak, which perfectly matches the tone of the film.

The soundtrack is fantastic. It's only used to enhance the tension of intense scenes, and it works very well.

The acting, Oh God, the acting. Every actor in this film is perfect,the lines are delivered as if they were actually from the period The child acting is the most perfect you will ever see, the fact that a first time director got children to do a perfect performance honestly baffles me.

The best horror movie I have ever seen and currently the 10th greatest movie I have ever seen.

Cube (1997, available on Netflix streaming)

Cringe-worthy acting (with few exceptions), bad pacing/editing, and boring in parts. When do these things begin to affect a rating? Well, Cube is guilty of all these, but for some reason I keep coming back to it.

It's not a "so bad it's good" kind of flick. It's more like a re-watchable movie in spite of itself.

The appropriately grim atmosphere, character subtexts, gore effects, and metaphysical story elements make Cube something more than the sum of its parts. It is a movie that is next to impossible to recommend to anyone, but is a thing that I have enjoyed more than a few times.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cube_2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	37583  

Did Saw rip off Cube?
Good question. I believe that it was inspired by it in some way, and perhaps the director of Saw was aware that Cube was made on a really tight budget and very few sets were used.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I think Ripley in Alien was conceived as a male character too. I suppose the question these days is how much thought should be put in about who the character is before it comes to casting.
I've red somewhere that Ripley was a man in the first script. But I wouldn't say Ripley, thanks to Weaver, is androgynous. Tilda is magnetic. She is like a vampire. I couldn't stop looking in her eyes Dreamy to the role in Only lovers left alive.

Thank You for recommendation, but I've seen it already.
I've put on weight 2 kg during watching Very tasty movie

Harsh. Jake awesome. The movie is much more shallow then Million Dollar Baby. Too bad. It had bigger abilities IMO.

I've red somewhere that Ripley was a man in the first script. But I wouldn't say Ripley, thanks to Weaver, is androgynous.
No neither would I .