Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

BLOOD RED SKY
(2021, Thorwarth)

"We are cursed. We cannot allow this evil to keep spreading. This evil cannot keep spreading!"

Netflix's Blood Red Sky offers a slightly different approach to vampire films. It follows Nadja (Peri Baumeister), a woman that is traveling with her son Elias (Carl Anton Koch) from Europe to New York, to receive treatment for an unspecified illness. However, during the trip, they have to face two opposing forces with a group of terrorists seizing control of the plane one one side, and the threat of a vampire on the other.

It's not that the film is wildly original, but compared to other vampire films, it feels like a bit of a fresh approach in various aspects. From the threat in an enclosed space to the "twist" of who ends up becoming a vampire. The film takes a tired premise and reinvigorates it in a film that ends up being fairly thrilling, tense, and overall enjoyable.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Open City, Rome - 8/10
I saw this about a decade ago so I didn't have to pay too much attention. No pressure. Much easier than watching a movie I haven't seen before, especially since most of them haven't been any good.

I forgot the opening line.

Ikiru - (1952)

I really enjoy watching Takashi Shimura in Kurosawa films - there's nobody quite like him. My favourite role of his was as the lawyer in Scandal, but this almost certainly takes the cake now. He plays a man who is diagnosed with cancer and has 6 months to live - and takes it in his very expressive way. He tries to find meaning in his life, as we all would - but he goes about it like a out-of-control locomotive heading down a steep incline. Kurosawa throws a huge curve-ball at us half way through the film that I won't detail - except to say at first I didn't like it, but as his method became clear I loved it. Incredibly moving final scene. "Life is brief. Fall in love, maidens. Before the crimson bloom..."

8/10

Foreign language countdown films seen : 46/101

By May be found at the following website: http://www.moviemart.in/upload/Terms...83%296dd93.jpg, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26692592

Terms of Endearment - (1983)

Continuing on my 1980s Academy Award journey, another Best Picture winner and I'm very much getting a feel for the kind of film academy members were voting for during this era. Ordinary People got past films like Raging Bull, The Shining and The Empire Strikes Back in 1980. Bloody idiots. Though at the end I was deriding this film as very soap opera-ish and manipulative with our emotions, I have to admit I laughed out loud in all the right places and felt emotions I didn't think I would. Jack Nicholson is great yet again (he won Best Supporting Actor) as is Shirley MacLaine. Jeff Daniels, Danny DeVito and John Lithgow really make it worth wading through the melodrama and pontificated wisdom. Wasn't a complete waste of my time.

7/10

Bucking Broadway - (1917)

One of John Ford's early silent films - this is included on the Criterion edition of Stagecoach. I was all on board during the first half of the film. Even this early on, Ford was giving us wonderful looks at vistas on the wild plains. Harry Carey was already a veteran - he'd started appearing in films in 1910. This involves a romance on a ranch, and engagement, before Carey's fiancé is stolen by a city-dwelling villain. A lot of this comes off beautifully - but the last 10 minutes or so involves an interminable brawl that bored the hell out of me. Just 100 or so writhing actors and extras - with no sense of where our heroes and villains are. I didn't love this film, but it was fascinating seeing such an early John Ford western.

5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Here’s looking at you, kid.
My Neighbor Totoro 1988
Hayao Miyazaki

This film was phenomenal! Took me back to the age of animation was pure, innocent and heartwarming. The animation was gorgeous, along side a magnificent story that made me feel like a child, all while giving the characters such personality that were so relatable as a kid.

Dune 1984
David Lynch

The Artist 2011
Michel Hazanavicius

What a magnificent masterpiece of cinema. I have been putting this film for awhile and just by happenstance came across it last night and just turned it on. I immediately fell in love with it, as it took me on a journey from silent films to talkies. Not only this film was a silent film, but it was ambitious as hell. The only other film I’ve seen that makes the transition from silent films to talkies was Singin in the Rain.

I am pretty ignorant to actors names of that era, but it felt as though, the actors were embodying multiple persona from the 20/30s to pay tribute/symbology, which I would like to look more into. Then at the end, it seemed as though they were paying tribute to Fred Astaire, which I thought was a great ending.

As I said, I loved this film and would highly recommend if you haven’t seen it.

Is No Time to Die really the last in the Bond franchise? Or at least the last one with Daniel Craig? Probably the latter rather than the former, or maybe it's time to do a revisionist version of the character that satisfies the studio's demographic initiatives; that's hinted in the movie. I don't know, but this one really hits just about every FX note a movie that doesn't have spaceships or dinosaurs can hit.

Bond runs and shoots his way through layers of "bad guys" (faceless characters wrapped in black body armor), sorta gets the latest Bond Girl, maybe has a kid and saves the world from some sort of genetically engineered horror meant to wipe out the population.

I don't know. It might just be time to put James to sleep. It's the umpteenth movie, and about the dozenth (is that a word?) actor playing bond, 60 years into the franchise. This guy has more lives than ivy. This isn't even one of Fleming's books. How can you get so bored in a movie that's so loud? Maybe because it's too long. In spite of how frantic it is, somehow it seems to have a lot of empty air whenever the air isn't occupied by flying bullets. I'd cut about a half hour out of it.

[b]
The Artist 2011
Michel Hazanavicius

What a magnificent masterpiece of cinema. I have been putting this film for awhile and just by happenstance came across it last night and just turned it on. I immediately fell in love with it, as it took me on a journey from silent films to talkies. Not only this film was a silent film, but it was ambitious as hell. The only other film I’ve seen that makes the transition from silent films to talkies was Singin in the Rain.

I am pretty ignorant to actors names of that era, but it felt as though, the actors were embodying multiple persona from the 20/30s to pay tribute/symbology, which I would like to look more into. Then at the end, it seemed as though they were paying tribute to Fred Astaire, which I thought was a great ending.

Yeah, I love The Artist, have it on my disk shelf in the basement.

My Neighbor Totoro 1988
Hayao Miyazaki

This film was phenomenal! Took me back to the age of animation was pure, innocent and heartwarming. The animation was gorgeous, along side a magnificent story that made me feel like a child, all while giving the characters such personality that were so relatable as a kid.

Dune 1984
David Lynch

The Artist 2011
Michel Hazanavicius

Totally agree with you about The Artist and rated it the same you did.

Open City, Rome - 8/10
WARNING: spoilers below
I saw this about a decade ago, but forgot Anna is through at half-time.
This is a major spoiler, and really should be tagged that way. I saw this film last year, but if I hadn't, I'd be pretty annoyed to have had the above spoiled for me.

Albert Nobbs 2011

Curious movie, quite sad, I kind of liked it and for me the most memorable performance I’ve seen of Glenn Close

Totally agree with you about The Artist and rated it the same you did.

Yeah, that film is vastly underrated.

I think ppl that don’t like silent films watch it or have a different expectation.

Yeah, I love The Artist, have it on my disk shelf in the basement.
It was so good. I put it off for so long because I didn’t know what to expect but it did the silent film era justice.

Yeah, that film is vastly underrated.

I think ppl that don’t like silent films watch it or have a different expectation.
I think the problem is that winning Best Picture kind of messed up everyone's expectations. It's a perfectly breezy, stylish entertainment if you can approach it on its own terms.

I think the problem is that winning Best Picture kind of messed up everyone's expectations. It's a perfectly breezy, stylish entertainment if you can approach it on its own terms.

Damn, also a very valid point. Setting the bar high by putting it along side other giants that also won academy awards, giving it a bad first impression, underwhelming by comparison.

On top of that, it’s also a shame that Berencio Bejo didn’t go anywhere after being Oscar nominated. She stayed stagnant in unpopular French films (unpopular in the american eye, not sure of the perspective of France)

The Artist 2011
Michel Hazanavicius

I couldn't agree with you more. This was a brilliant film. It won 5 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor. It had a boat load of other awards.

It's wonderful to watch the action and imagine what they're thinking mostly by the actors' skill. And the story was a real grabber.

Given its smashing success, I thought there might be some other imitator films, but nothing has really come out. Return to Bablyon (2013) Was nice, but it was on a micro budget, and I felt that the film went off the rails about halfway through. I loved the music.