Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Fear X (2003)

A strange one from Refn (1st film after the Pusher trilogy I think) that deals with John Turturros security guard trying to get over/make sense of the supposed random demise of his wife.

It's a weird, distant film that seems to have repeated visual and behavioural motifs throughout but never really goes anywhere. Or at least anywhere that will indicate if the deceased husband is "crazy"/seen as crazy or on the correct line of inquiry. More a study in obsession which it *does* really work as.

John T is excellent and nice to see james Remar (Ajax! ) and it was an interesting watch so a 6/10.
Not a Refn fan but Turturro is great so I'll bite. Thanks! Never knew of this!

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Apocalypse Now

Theatrical version and the first time I have seen it this way. Far easier to digest than the extra 40 mins version I own, A great movie. I’m close to calling it a masterpiece but I want to watch it again.

Spoilers: !!
The end has left me pondering. I believe Kurtz was unwell (physically) and was going to die soon anyway. Apparently the first scene of the napalm maybe is the last scene napalming the village.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Game Over, Man!

A lot of potential is squandered on cheap and obvious jokes. A spoof on Die Hard about 3 waiters who are in over their heads when they are locked in a hotel with some terrorists. Unfunny drug jokes, tasteless gay jokes and uninspired writing make for a rough watch. Even if you're a fan of Workaholics, this material seems below the caliber of what these guys are capable of. One scene had a few laughs from me though, which involves Adam Devine's penis on display for everyone to see.

Since it's on Netflix, you won't feel too cheated...which seems to be the "go-to" explanation for a lot of Netflix movies.

Suspect's Reviews

You were never really here (2017).

I liked this and Joaquin Pheonix is without doubt very strong in it. The storyline itself is somewhat predictable if you are at least au fait with the "genre". Funny how everyone says "Taxi Driver" when the first reference I thought of was "Mona Lisa". The performances throughout are very strong so a good 8/10. ps the use of "Charlenes" "I've been to paradise" song was lovely juxtaposition, kinda like Air Supply doing "All out of love" in Animal Kingdom....enjoyed it.

Small Faces (1996)

Scottish film that focuses on three teen boys who live with their mom. One is an artist, one is in a gang, and one is just 13 and finding his way. I'd call it part kitchen sink and part gang film. Either way it's good drama.
Yhought Garry Sweeney (at the front of your image Cricket) was a scream in this!

Unregistered User

Veronica (2017)

What a disappointment! Completely unoriginal and just the same old demonic possession clichés with absolutely no scares at all. Acting also really poor.

lord of the rings return of the kind..its more of a re-watch but i dont have anything more to say about it that haven't been said already.

One thing that surprised me during re-watch of trilogy is how not boring it is. The pace and build up to finale is pretty interesting with lot of themes thrown in there that never felt out of place.

“I was cured, all right!”
Another great film by Terrence Malick!
Watched the Extended cut that runs for 2hours and 50min.

I did not expect the movie to be as slow as it was. I loved the fact that the movie was as long as The Thin Red Line, and I confess I wanted more!
I could swear that this movie would be a commercial work, I was wrong, the film is even more contemplative than the previous one. For 172 min I fell in love with Pocahontas, I was disappointed by the circumstances imposed by the colonizers. It is so sad to meditate on this, the fusion of two cultures could be so rich, so beautiful. Everyone would win. But greed makes one want to overlap another, to kill the other culture... In the firsts moments I was a little shocked by the jump cuts used by Malick, it was like Godard in Breathless. Impulsive cuts during the same sequence. After a few minutes I kind of got used to it and came to admire the choice of cutting out the motions that make up a movement. That choice must have made many people hate the way it was edited, the ignorants might even say that the movie was poorly edited. This is something I have to take off my hat. Certainly they were aware that many would see this in a negative way.
I was very frustrated with Smith's departure, with the way he seemed to me, not to treat Pocahontas as he should. I would actually give myself to her, fight for her, maybe that's why I got frustrated, because I fell in love with her culture and with the simplicity she lived, and of course, with her. But Smith was what it was! It's a fact.
When John Rolfe shows up (at the mark of two hours in), what he finds is not the Pocahontas full of life that Smith had come to know. He knows a lonely, sad woman, and yet he fights for her. Not with swords like Smith but with his heart. "They humiliate me, but they can't reach me," when he said that, I thought: that's the kind of love she deserves!
Once again, I was frustrated, the ending really frustrated me, maybe because I was blinded by the romance. I wanted everything to work out, I wanted them to go back to Virginia. But what I did not realize was that she had already been happy. She made all the choices on her own (thanks to John Rolfe, an amazing person!). I joint frustration with Rolfe. It is what it is! It is a real fact.
Meditation around nature is something I did not want it to end. The contrast of the life of the natives who live with nature and how the civilized man arrives, comes and mutates, destroys the environment to live is something that made me think. I had to pause the film to contemplate these thoughts on the civilized man. (When Smith enters the fort for the first time, after spend months with the natives, he was shocked, I was shocked, but what more we can expect?) Whenever I see natives, I think, "They are living life right, and what about us? The CIVILIZED MAN..." The New World is wonderful, until it was colonized, the other New World (the one that Pocahontas / Rebecca comes to know), It is dirty, sad, and nothing beautiful. London is not so attractive to me, in fact, the civilized world is not as attractive to me as its homeland (Virginia).
Oh it was a beautiful world, and I wish it had remained the old world...
★★★★★

Another great film by Terrence Malick!
Watched the Extended cut that runs for 2hours and 50min.

I did not expect the movie to be as slow as it was. I loved the fact that the movie was as long as The Thin Red Line, and I confess I wanted more!
I could swear that this movie would be a commercial work, I was wrong, the film is even more contemplative than the previous one. For 172 min I fell in love with Pocahontas, I was disappointed by the circumstances imposed by the colonizers. It is so sad to meditate on this, the fusion of two cultures could be so rich, so beautiful. Everyone would win. But greed makes one want to overlap another, to kill the other culture... In the firsts moments I was a little shocked by the jump cuts used by Malick, it was like Godard in Breathless. Impulsive cuts during the same sequence. After a few minutes I kind of got used to it and came to admire the choice of cutting out the motions that make up a movement. That choice must have made many people hate the way it was edited, the ignorants might even say that the movie was poorly edited. This is something I have to take off my hat. Certainly they were aware that many would see this in a negative way.
I was very frustrated with Smith's departure, with the way he seemed to me, not to treat Pocahontas as he should. I would actually give myself to her, fight for her, maybe that's why I got frustrated, because I fell in love with her culture and with the simplicity she lived, and of course, with her. But Smith was what it was! It's a fact.
When John Rolfe shows up (at the mark of two hours in), what he finds is not the Pocahontas full of life that Smith had come to know. He knows a lonely, sad woman, and yet he fights for her. Not with swords like Smith but with his heart. "They humiliate me, but they can't reach me," when he said that, I thought: that's the kind of love she deserves!
Once again, I was frustrated, the ending really frustrated me, maybe because I was blinded by the romance. I wanted everything to work out, I wanted them to go back to Virginia. But what I did not realize was that she had already been happy. She made all the choices on her own (thanks to John Rolfe, an amazing person!). I joint frustration with Rolfe. It is what it is! It is a real fact.
Meditation around nature is something I did not want it to end. The contrast of the life of the natives who live with nature and how the civilized man arrives, comes and mutates, destroys the environment to live is something that made me think. I had to pause the film to contemplate these thoughts on the civilized man. (When Smith enters the fort for the first time, after spend months with the natives, he was shocked, I was shocked, but what more we can expect?) Whenever I see natives, I think, "They are living life right, and what about us? The CIVILIZED MAN..." The New World is wonderful, until it was colonized, the other New World (the one that Pocahontas / Rebecca comes to know), It is dirty, sad, and nothing beautiful. London is not so attractive to me, in fact, the civilized world is not as attractive to me as its homeland (Virginia).
Oh it was a beautiful world, and I wish it had remained the old world...
★★★★★
I'll be having a look at this Ultraviolence however I know Terrence Malick can be very devisive!

I'll be having a look at this Ultraviolence however I know Terrence Malick can be very devisive!
I hope you like!
But it's true, he's very divisive. It is the kind of work that one loves or hates, unfortunately the majority tends to hate (I say this based on the research I did on google), it's a shame cause I loved it.

I agree, GL. "Success" is a wonderful film. You're right about the dialogue. And Curtis played against type as a weasel very well. One of his better roles. The film seems somehow modern, even though it was from '57.

I'm your neighbor from the next state to your east.

~Doc
Oh yea, I'm just 40 minutes south of New Orleans, so me and my wife love going to the Biloxi/Gulfport area. We eventually plan to relocate there if we can.

I hope you like!
But it's true, he's very divisive. It is the kind of work that one loves or hates, unfortunately the majority tends to hate (I say this based on the research I did on google), it's a shame cause I loved it.
I watched "Badlands" ( I thought was OK) And "The Thin Red line" ( which I thought great). "To the Wonder" which just scoobied me! If anything, just an intriguing director. Certainly doesn't go for any easy Hollywood tenets of how you should direct.

Just watched this with the kids after watching number 1. Again a nice enjoyable film.

Hable con ella [Talk To Her] (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)

Silence is not always golden

I watched "Badlands" ( I thought was OK) And "The Thin Red line" ( which I thought great). "To the Wonder" which just scoobied me! If anything, just an intriguing director. Certainly doesn't go for any easy Hollywood tenets of how you should direct.
I'm watching all of them in release order.
So far:
1973 Badlands ★★★
1978 Days of Heaven ★★★
1998 The Thin Red Line ★★★★★
2005 The New World ★★★★★

I watched The Tree of Life back in 2011 but honestly I can't remember anything. The other ones I never watched. The Thin Red Line is my favorite so far!

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Clerks ★★★★
Clerks II ★★★ (I love the Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars debate scene...instant nerd classic scene IMO)
Drunken Tai Chi ★★★★ (the film debut of action star Donnie Yen of the Ip Man series. My avatar is that of Yen's teacher in that very film, played by Yuen Cheung-Yan)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Recently I watched Nanny McPhee with my nephew. I liked it. I thought Emma Thompson was great in it. I liked how bad they made her look, but by the end she was normal. However I don't no how kids would really understand why her appreance changed.
I had never seen that before now but I'm sure I've heard of it and I love the nod to Hitchcock so I checked out the trailer. That looks really sweet and I think I'd be happy watching that for a bit of fun. The kids are adorable, especially the baby

eta same for The New World. I love your review, Uber! Really caught my eye.