The Crown star Emma Corrin calls for gender-neutral awards

Tools    

It's 2022, and Emma Corrin would like awards show categories to reflect it.

Corrin, who identifies as nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns, told BBC News that they "hope for a future" in which gender-neutral categories are the norm for awards ceremonies.

"I don't think the categories are inclusive enough at the moment," they said. "It's about everyone being able to feel acknowledged and represented."

The star, who is in awards contention this year for their films My Policeman and Lady Chatterley's Lover, took home a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Television Series, Drama for their performance as Princess Diana in The Crown in 2021. However, at the time, Corrin still allowed the use of she and her pronouns.

https://ew.com/awards/emma-corrin-ge...-my-policeman/

I don't mind if you want a gender neutral "body of work" award every year but removing gender from awards just stinks of PC virtue signalling.

I don't mind if you want a gender neutral "body of work" award every year but removing gender from awards just stinks of PC virtue signalling.
Sometimes I wish Corrin would pipe down. Very non-PC of me, I know.

The truth is in here
I didn't know Emma Corrin is non-binary. It seems to be such little-known info in fact that even imdb still uses she/her pronouns.

The problem is that non-binary actors are not very commonplace, and struggling getting a voice in the industry right now. So introducing a whole new category for non-binaries wouldn't gain much traction since there aren't many to choose from to begin with. At the same time however, removing gender from the awards completely creates more complication, since how are they supposed to be structured in that case? I don't know what the solution is here.

Removing gender identification from awards is discriminatory to people who do identify with a gender. I have no idea who Emma Corrin is, and I don't give a rats ass about their own word usage problems.

One of the more than valid reasons film awards are gendered like this is, because at the present moment, there are loads more choice roles for male actors than females. The gap has been narrowing the last ten years or so, but the reality is those nominated for awards may skew towards roles predominantly written for men. There is a bias baked into this.

And while I personally am fine with abolishing all of these dumb parameters we build up around gender, and the expectations that come with them, removing that binary from consideration may very well have a deeply negative impact on those who identify as female getting proper recognition.

That said, awards are also stupid, but that's another argument

Removing gender identification from awards is discriminatory to people who do identify with a gender. I have no idea who Emma Corrin is, and I don't give a rats ass about their own word usage problems.
Among other rôles she became very famous for portraying a younger Princess Diana in The Crown. Another actress now portrays an older Diana.

One of the more than valid reasons film awards are gendered like this is, because at the present moment, there are loads more choice roles for male actors than females. The gap has been narrowing the last ten years or so, but the reality is those nominated for awards may skew towards roles predominantly written for men. There is a bias baked into this.

And while I personally am fine with abolishing all of these dumb parameters we build up around gender, and the expectations that come with them, removing that binary from consideration may very well have a deeply negative impact on those who identify as female getting proper recognition.

That said, awards are also stupid, but that's another argument

I'm all for it. No more best actress. No more best supporting actress. No more women's sports. Lump it all in together.