Movies That Were Ahead of Their Time.

Tools    

I have been quite interested in the idea of an "ahead of its time" movie for quite a while now. Since I read this article on MeTV's website about 60s tv shows, I have been starting to ponder the idea myself.

What movies especially ones not so popular do you think were ahead of the times? My choice would probably have to be:

I know this is just an experimental movie, but I could not believe such a thing.
I am pretty sure the Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind were ahead of their times too, but I am sure you all know that. I want to say something about Jacques Rivette too, but I just talked about him here.

What movie is in that YouTube video? It's age restricted so I couldn't play it.
Regarding TV shows ahead of their time, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (TV Series 1959-1963) The first season had a surprisingly aggressive father played by Frank Faylen with some very dark jokes for the late 1950s.
FROM IMDB Trivia: Dobie's father Herbert T. Gillis had a catchphrase during Season One whenever he found himself stymied or frustrated by Dobie: "I gotta kill that boy, I just gotta!". The sponsors disapproved of the running gag, and required the producers to both discontinue its use and soften somewhat the hard edges of Herbert T. Gillis.

I think that a lot of experimental (and especially short experimental) films can feel ahead of their time. Things like Fireworks, for example. But that can come from the portraying or acknowledging things that were left out or only mildly acknowledged in mainstream films of the time.

What movie is in that YouTube video?
Zbigniew Rybczyński’s Tango

Not really ahead, it is just that it looks like something of the 2000s for me despite this short being from 1981.

2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) - both literally and figuratively ahead of it's time (and in a whole lot of other ways too!)
That's just the one I was thinking of, Cap'n.. Even though it was made in '68, it still holds up today. It's had a lot of imitators since, especially the Hal 9000 character.

Rollerball (1975) It's a very deep, subtle, cynical, socio-political commentary & satire wrapped in the façade of a sci-fi, sports-action movie.
It's another that is prophetic in predicting a world run by international "Corptocracies" that control politics - largely what the world has become today and where it seems to be heading.