The Resident Bitch Prepares for the MoFo 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Song of the Sea (Tomm Moore, 2014)

I’ve been sort of vaguely aware of this movie for several years but hadn’t really seriously considered watching it until it came up when I was searching for animated films from the 2010’s. I debated on adding it to my watchlist for this countdown because, after being introduced to the concept of a selkie earlier this year when I had to watch The Secret of Roan Innish, I wasn’t too keen on watching another movie about seal people. But I was really impressed by the beauty of the images I had seen from it and hoped that my love of animation would cause me to overcome my aversion to fantasy.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. The movie is really gorgeous and my rating of it is owed pretty much entirely to its good looks, but with all its magic, its witches, selkies, faeries, etc., I just found myself rolling my eyes and checking the remaining runtime. It’s a shame really, because this is a well made film and there are other fantasy animations that I do enjoy, but I just couldn’t get into it. Oh well.

Please Read Before Making Any Recommendations:

My list of possible first-time watches is now over 50 movies long (including all of the movies suggested to me here, as well as those I already intended to watch). If you haven't made any suggestions yet, please check out this list of what's already been suggested:

2010s First Time Watch List

If you haven't made recommendations already and really want to, you may want to consider limiting your suggestions. If you have already made suggestions, please check the list to make sure I've selected the correct fim(s). I'll try to keep this list updated and have linked it in the first post.

Having said that, there's absolutely no way I'm going to get to all or even most of these before the deadline. If there is one particular 2010s film you really want me to watch, let me know and we can maybe make an arrangement where you watch one movie of my choosing and I watch one of yours.

Things to keep in mind before making recommendations:

-If it's not animated and requires a high level of suspension of disbelief (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Superhero, Musicals), there's a good chance I'm not going to like it.
-I'm not generally a fan of documentaries, so probably don't bother suggesting them.
-If it contains actual animal cruelty, don't suggest it. Period.
-If its central character is a woman or if it has a majority female cast, I'm probably not going to be too into it.
-If it was made by Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, David O. Russell, or Darren Arronofsky, don't even bother. There's a decent chance I've already seen it and I probably don't like it. This is not a complete list of directors to avoid.
-I don't like Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Adam Sandler, George Clooney, Paul Dano, or Robert Pattinson. So probably don't suggest anything with them in it. I may add to this list later.
I think all of my picks for you avoided your dislikes, but I'm going to go with Capernaum because that's probably the one out of all my recommendations for you that would widely be viewed as the best out of those, and it also probably has the best chance of making the countdown. I'm open to watch anything of your choosing.

I think all of my picks for you avoided your dislikes, but I'm going to go with Capernaum because that's probably the one out of all my recommendations for you that would widely be viewed as the best out of those, and it also probably has the best chance of making the countdown. I'm open to watch anything of your choosing.
It's hard to pick because you've seen so many movies, but I'll give you three options, in order of my preference:

Ernest & Celestine
Pain and Glory
Aferim!

If you've seen all of these, I'll pick again.

It's hard to pick because you've seen so many movies, but I'll give you three options, in order of my preference:

Ernest & Celestine
Pain and Glory
Aferim!

If you've seen all of these, I'll pick again.
I think I've seen Ernest & Celestine but I'll have to look it up to confirm. I've definitely not seen the other two.

I can't find a record of Ernest & Celestine so I'll watch that. I'm probably just familiar with the title.

I think I've seen Ernest & Celestine but I'll have to look it up to confirm. I've definitely not seen the other two.

I can't find a record of Ernest & Celestine so I'll watch that. I'm probably just familiar with the title.
Sweet. It saddens me that it didn't make the animation countdown, so I'd really love to see it place this time.

Sweet. It saddens me that it didn't make the animation countdown, so I'd really love to see it place this time.
I thought it was on that list initially because of how familiar I am with the name. Maybe it's through your posts that I know of it.

Ernest & Celestine is fantastic. I'll second the recommendation.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wait, MoFo no longer censors the word 'shit'? Shit just got real! Well, it doesn't censor Keisuke Kinoshita either. This is a glorious day for scatophiles and Japanese cinema lovers!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
God's Own Country (drama/gay romance that is great on both fronts)
While I think this film is great, I would hesitate recommending it to Miss Vicky due to graphic depictions of farming which include dead animals.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ghosts, aliens, vampires, and a dystopian society where single people get turned into animals? All of those sound like they require more suspension of disbelief than I usually allow for live action, so I can't promise I'll watch any of them, but maybe? The Lobster sounds weird enough that I might give it a go. I'll definitely check out The Way He Looks.
I just kept thinking you like Being John Malkovich so you must have a high tolerance for suspension of disbelief, but I'll bear that in mind for any future recommendations

I just kept thinking you like Being John Malkovich so you must have a high tolerance for suspension of disbelief, but I'll bear that in mind for any future recommendations
Yeah, as much as I love BJM, it's definitely not the sort of thing I'd usually be into and it took me several watches to even decide if I liked it at all. I think I only watched it the first time because a friend wanted to see it.

I did run your suggestions by my IRL friend Funny Face and she seemed to think I'll like The Lobster so I probably will get to that at some point. I'm planning on watching The Way He Looks tonight, but if not it'll definitely be sometime this weekend.

While I think this film is great, I would hesitate recommending it to Miss Vicky due to graphic depictions of farming which include dead animals.
Ooh, that's a good point.

I'm normally very sensitive to animal stuff and it didn't bother me, but, yes, there are some graphic moments involving animals.

The moments include (MILD SPOILERS)
WARNING: spoilers below

A calf dies after a breech birth--it is put down by being shot (off-screen, I believe). A character is angry and kicks the calf's body in frustration after it is dead

A lamb dies. A character skins this lamb and puts its skin on another lamb so that the mother will nurse it.

One of the characters is being too rough with a cow when he's angry at one point

I watched Ernest & Celestine and it's about as cute and sweet as any movie can be. The animation wasn't as bold and advanced as some animations are these days but it was perfect for this movie. I'm shocked that it didn't make the animations countdown and I can only surmise that not enough people saw it by that time. It would've ranked high on my ballot. At the very least it has earned a spot on my list of contenders for my 2010's ballot and I do hope it makes that countdown. Hard to picture anyone not enjoying it.

I watched Ernest & Celestine and it's about as cute and sweet as any movie can be. The animation wasn't as bold and advanced as some animations are these days but it was perfect for this movie. I'm shocked that it didn't make the animations countdown and I can only surmise that not enough people saw it by that time. It would've ranked high on my ballot. At the very least it has earned a spot on my list of contenders for my 2010's ballot and I do hope it makes that countdown. Hard to picture anyone not enjoying it.
Awesome. I'll try to get Capernaum watched this weekend. I'll probably also watch Cold Fish sometime soon, since Camo really wants to know what I think of it.

Awesome. I'll try to get Capernaum watched this weekend. I'll probably also watch Cold Fish sometime soon, since Camo really wants to know what I think of it.
Take your time. Maybe once you get caught up with others we can do another swap.

Take your time. Maybe once you get caught up with others we can do another swap.
Oh, I will. I'm aiming to watch or rewatch at least one movie a day for as long as I can keep up that momentum. I'm also only working Monday-Thurday for at least the next month, so I have plenty of time on the weekends for movie watching.

Regardless, there's no way I'm going to watch everything that was recommended, but I am going to try to watch at least one or two recs from each person. I'm kind of counting Cold Fish as a Camo rec right now which is why I said it'll probably be soon.

Oh, I will. I'm aiming to watch or rewatch at least one movie a day for as long as I can keep up that momentum. I'm also only working Monday-Thurday for at least the next month, so I have plenty of time on the weekends for movie watching.

Regardless, there's no way I'm going to watch everything that was recommended, but I am going to try to watch at least one or two recs from each person. I'm kind of counting Cold Fish as a Camo rec right now which is why I said it'll probably be soon.
Cold Fish was a big favorite of GoDogGo, which I think is why I watched it.

Not sure if you saw my recommendations on the preliminary thread,

I wonder if you would be interested in seeing these movies from 2010

Happy Death Day - Groundhog day if it were a Horror movie, don't know anyone in this cast but they were fine in it.
Peppermint - Female lead/ seeking revenge type movie. Jennifer Gardner in this.
Ted - Mark Wahlberg is in this so this is probably a no, still a funny movie if you looking for a good laugh.
Easy A - High School teen movie, Emma Stone is in this.

I'll add in 3 more movies to recommend

Scream 4 - If you like the scream movies, you'll probably like the 4th one.
Guardians of the Galaxy - If you like Marvel Movies, you might like this
The Purge - Horror/thriller, it's like a survival type movie. The 2nd one is better than the first one imo. 3rd one was decent

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Happy Death Day - Groundhog day if it were a Horror movie, don't know anyone in this cast but they were fine in it.
Peppermint - Female lead/ seeking revenge type movie. Jennifer Gardner in this.
Ted - Mark Wahlberg is in this so this is probably a no, still a funny movie if you looking for a good laugh.
Easy A - High School teen movie, Emma Stone is in this.

I'll add in 3 more movies to recommend

Scream 4 - If you like the scream movies, you'll probably like the 4th one.
Guardians of the Galaxy - If you like Marvel Movies, you might like this
The Purge - Horror/thriller, it's like a survival type movie. The 2nd one is better than the first one imo. 3rd one was decent
I'm assuming you didn't read the guidelines I posted for recommendations.

I typically don't like horror movies (and I don't like Scream), movies with female leads/mainly female casts, or superhero movies, and I despise Mark Wahlberg. He's probably my least favorite actor ever. If he's in a movie and the movie doesn't also star either Joaquin Phoenix or Leonardo DiCaprio, I'm not watching it.

I've actually seen both Guardians of the Galaxy movies and I've seen Easy A. They were okay, but not something I have any desire to see again. If I were to pick one of these to try it would maybe be Happy Death Day? No promises, though, unless you want to do a trade.

Victim of The Night
You're tough to recommend for but I'll do my best. These are all on my list of contenders.

Sleep Tight (2011)
Very solid thriller with a creepy premise.
I've had this in my queue for a decade and have never pulled the trigger. I'll bump it up.