Wordle

Tools    

What really bugs me is that they don't even mention it in "how to play" Spent like five extra minutes trying to figure a word from the remaining letters, and there was none. Then tried the first one that came to mind with a duplicate letter and that was it.

This doesn't seem too difficult, honestly, but I've done a lot of crosswords and stuff like that.
I think that if you have a decent vocabulary and "see" words well (god that sounds snobby), it's not that hard of a game. I also appreciate that they don't seem to be using super obscure words.

The strangest thing I did during this pandemic was to become obsessed with online solitaire. Never played it in my life, but I have had to delete the app as it was taking over my life. It was just so relaxing & comforting when the cards played out. So very bizarre.
It makes sense, achieving order is inherently satisfying and sometimes a game is just challenging enough to be engaging but easy enough to feel breezy, and that combination is great for killing time.

I loved (still love!) a very odd game called Regency Solitaire awhile back. I still play it sometimes. It's not really solitaire, you literally just have to find cards one higher or lower than the card at the top of your deck, and it's sitting on top of this weird Victorian/Jane Austen-like frame story. And there's little undo abilities and some cards require keys. REALLY simple but SO well done that it's hypnotic.

My obsession for the last year or so is a game called NERTS, which is competitive solitaire, if you can believe that.

EDIT: The only thing that catches me sometimes is that I forget you can use letters more than once!
This got me immediately, either my first or second day.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Finally - just got it on the 4th try, but I made heavy weather of it. Thank God there’s only a new word every 24 hours.

(I’m two for two now.)
I tried this for the first time a few hours ago. Same word as you, I suppose. I got it on the third try and it seemed easy enough. Perhaps I just lucked out this first time through, though. We'll see tomorrow when I probably will botch up that word completely.

The only thing that wasn't absolutely clear is that you, what? Just randomly guess a word with that many letters in it for the first try? Or did I miss something about how to do your first guess?

Duplicate Account (locked)
People expect me to be a genius at Scrabble. I am far far below average.

Good words to try for tomorrow’s Wordle - you’ve given me some good ones.

Before I leave, did you know that some people actually search online for 5 letter words starting with “p” or whatever? This seems kinda cheating to me.

might be cheating and all, but i use that strategy when when my brain feels exhausted of possibilities, kinda like how i play videogames: i only look up the answer when i feel really trapped.

i just won my second wordle on the 4th guess, because i was struggling. I found out what 3 of the letters were, and one was in the right position, so i did a google search "5 letter words that end with _." Then, i saw one that british people like to use immediately (you can PM me for the word if you want) that conformed to the letters that i found to be correct, and voila, ya' brits!

Stirchley, do you like to play crossword puzzles? My family would play them, they're more open ended and difficult. I like wordle because it's easy enough for anyone with a computer to play.

Yeah, I don't allow myself any outside reference at all once I start. Only thing I might do is open a text file or spreadsheet so I can rearrange the letters I know are there.

I did happen, before ever playing Wordle, to read a tweet from someone suggesting a couple of works that were particularly good to start with, which I can't forget, but it's anecdotal so who knows.

Second day, did well but not as fast as the first day. I'm not going to Google anything, since that's way too easy then. It's only a few minutes a day so I don't see it as a possible time-suck going forward.

The tough part is staring at the screen with nothing but blanks staring back at you. So much depends on that first guess, I suspect.

Well done - I woz rubbish today
Wordle 209 5/6

⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

So rubbish I couldn't even paste it properly apparently

Yeah, edit and re-paste worked
Sadly, it didn't make me any faster today though

Wonder if I could edit that though
Wordle 209 2/6

⬛🟩⬛🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Boy was I on fire today!!!

One day they'll pick the word I always start with and I'll look like a genius.
Lol

I've just invented Reverse-Wordle.
Someone saves and posts their grid from the day before and given the target word for that day others have to try and work out exactly what words they used to get there

I'm 5/6 two days in a row now. Today (or yesterday from my PoV) was annoying. I had four green boxes on my 2nd attempt, but it took me three more tries to guess the exact word.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I was reading this thread before playing this morning, and i felt like a un-intelligent cheat since you all refrain from using the google the way i did the last two games...so, today i only used google to see if words in my head were spelled they way i thought they were...

and what i discovered is...using a notepad makes the game harder anyways, it's better just to keep staring at the screen. Luckily, i got it on the 5th guess out of 6. I have not lost yet having played 3 times! They make it easy in the sense that they don't let you make up words to see if they are words and check if the letters are there like i tried. Now i'm not going to use google to find "5 letter words that are x", but i don't think it's cheating to see if a word in your head is spelled a certain way.

If ya'll are feeling particularly like challenging yourself, they do have a hard mode which you can turn on in the settings, this makes it so that if you guess a letter correctly, then you must use it in all your geusses...seems like that insure you win a higher % of the time.

I only heard of this a couple of days ago. It was on a show over here presented by a middle aged, middle class, desperate attention seeker and/or frustrated performer who seems to constantly want to be 'down wiv da kidz' and the first thing I thought was this.

A programme which has been on a much bigger channel than the one he's on for at least a year. Which, in turn, was a remake of this

Which I've since found out was a UK version of this

I like it, and I've gotten all four I've tried (though I was down to my last guess yesterday!).

I like that there's only one per day. It's a quick 5 minute or less brain teaser.

I always start with the word "SPACE" and then "GROUT". Then I just play around with any letters that are correct.

I REALLY appreciate the little keyboard at the bottom showing what letters you already guessed.

EDIT: The only thing that catches me sometimes is that I forget you can use letters more than once!
Yesterday’s took me forever until I doubled the “b”. Duh!

I like my two words because they get most of the vowels and some common consonants in there. I know someone else always starts with POEMS. GUISE could also be a good starter, or ABOUT.

I do them quickly because I am impatient. Despite having an extensive vocabulary, I always bomb at games like Scrabble because I just play the first word I see.
I’m using your words.

I think that if you have a decent vocabulary and "see" words well (god that sounds snobby), it's not that hard of a game. I also appreciate that they don't seem to be using super obscure words.
Funny you say this. Apparently, some Americans are angry on Twitter that “Brit words” are being used even though the creator is British. They were furious over “query”, which I don’t see as particularly British. Yesterday, the same thing. Furious because they don’t know what an “abbey” is. They only know Abby as a female name. WTH! They’ve never heard of an abbey!!

The only thing that wasn't absolutely clear is that you, what? Just randomly guess a word with that many letters in it for the first try? Or did I miss something about how to do your first guess?
No, you got it right. Read the posts above here from @Takoma11. I use her starting words now.

Stirchley, do you like to play crossword puzzles? My family would play them, they're more open ended and difficult. I like wordle because it's easy enough for anyone with a computer to play.
I hate them. They are beyond my capabilities. Having said this, every day I do The NY Times mini crossword, which a child could do. I enjoy this.

Okay, to me, this is a flaw in the game. I got this word yesterday that meshed with the letters available at that moment, but I didn’t solve it because, apparently, this wasn’t the word they wanted.

So then I got this word that meshed with the letters available at that moment, but that wasn’t the answer either.

Finally got it when I doubled the “b”.

My point is if you find a correct word the game should be over. Even if it’s not the word the creator has chosen for the day.

I don't follow. What would the criteria be for success? It can't just be any dictionary word at any time, since you could "win" immediately. And lots of words will mesh when you've only determined a few of the letters, too.

The tension (and genius) of the game is that, when you've matched a few letters, you have to decide to risk an actual guess, versus using a word you don't expect to be right in order to find more letters (or nail down more locations).