start of a movie club, which movie to choose?

Tools    

hey everyone, me and my friend are starting a movie club and we have trouble deciding which of the following to choose for the first screening. i'd be eternally grateful for your opinion/suggestions!
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • Everything Is Illuminated
  • Wristcutters: A Love Story
  • Nothing Personal
  • White Oleander
  • Tilsammans
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Trois Couleurs: Bleu
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • The Machinist
  • In Bruges
  • Brick
  • The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover

Semper Fooey
You need better movies on that list.

any suggestion is welcome!

It depends on what kind of club this is supposed to be. Is it just friends watching a movie at someone's house? Is it a mix of friends and strangers? Is it open to the public? Are you supposed to discuss the movie afterwards?

hey everyone, me and my friend are starting a movie club and we have trouble deciding which of the following to choose for the first screening. i'd be eternally grateful for your opinion/suggestions!
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • Everything Is Illuminated
  • Wristcutters: A Love Story
  • Nothing Personal
  • White Oleander
  • Tilsammans
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Trois Couleurs: Bleu
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • The Machinist
  • In Bruges
  • Brick
  • The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover
Tilsammans is wonderful and everyone should see it, so that would be my suggestion. The Fantastic Mr Fox is another great one, also a really loveable film and worth watching over and over. But I'm just picking the most enjoyable ones.

Tilsammans is wonderful and everyone should see it, so that would be my suggestion. The Fantastic Mr Fox is another great one, also a really loveable film and worth watching over and over. But I'm just picking the most enjoyable ones.
thanks!

I'll bold the ones I'd watch out of those listed...

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Everything Is Illuminated
Wristcutters: A Love Story
Nothing Personal
White Oleander
Tilsammans
The Butterfly Effect
Trois Couleurs: Bleu
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Machinist
In Bruges
Brick
The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover

Have a gander here http://www.movieforums.com/lists for more film ideas if you're stuck for what to choose... the MoFo lists have a pile of really good films.

our aim is to show 20-30 people relatively unknown but still entertaining movies and create a discussion, on weekly screenings

our aim is to show 20-30 people relatively unknown but still entertaining movies and create a discussion, on weekly screenings

Here's one then... Cat's Eye... stars Drew Barrymore, Robert Hay (of Airplane! fame) and James Woods. Biggish cast, low budget movie and relatively unknown... quite surreal too.

Didn't know drew was in Cats eye. but anything Robert R would do fine, he is pretty awesome.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Even though I haven't seen it, I'd go with The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover from your list. Besides you ought to play some classics, perhaps mute movies?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
What my club did, which was cool was start early in film history, like with a DW Griffith, the move forward in history. To Chaplin or Keaton (Keaton is way better!) then Renoir, Welles, Fellini, Kubrick and so on. That way we got a large base knowledge of film and a good taste of cinema as a whole

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
From the list, I'd go with Butterfly Effect or The Machinist - both disturbing, but excellent films & guaranteed to start discussions.

Good luck with the club