Movies that give you a good night sleep and/or sweet dreams?

Tools    

So getting a good dream from a movie(tv shows and music too) is one of my favorite experiences to have, since I feel good after the dream is over and realize that I have sat through something good. Most of the films that give me good dreams are musicals, comedies, most old movies, and especially ones that are very charming.

Two of my most recent experiences of good sleep after a movie was:

Celine and Julie Go Boating - This might be a top 5 favorite French movie. I love this movie, because of the titular characters are very interesting and beautiful looking too. I loved the movie within a movie plot(you and the two main girls have to continuously watch a scene that takes place in a familiar house, so that they could change the ending and save the girl). The carat card scene was interesting, Julie chasing Celine at the beginning was quite fun, and the cabaret scene was probably my favorite part(especially a heckler who calls out that the magic show was fake). This movie was just a joy to watch, and after the three hours were over, I fell asleep with joy as well. This is kind of my Pulp Fiction, because C&JGB is an unconventional and unique movie that I love, while PF is the one most people love(Pulp Fiction is not really my thing but I still like it). If you have not seen this masterpiece, I advise you to watch it and you will be glad that you will.

The Young Girls At Rochefort - This might be in my top 10-20 favorite movies. I love this one, because of the bright colors(a staple of Jacques Demy's movies), the songs, and for being so fun. Catherine Deneuve and her sister Francoise Dorleac were great in their roles, and what they wore made the movie even more enchanting(the matching clothes of different colors and the red dresses). I laughed at a couple of scenes such as the mention of Michel Legrand(the movie's composer) and how the twin's mother broke up with someone over a name(they get back together at the end of the movie though). However, I was quite annoyed with the artist subplot, because we see all of these near misses with him and Catherine's character(She is his ideal woman from a picture he painted of a blond woman that looked like her). Then at the end of the movie, we do not get to see their meeting, since it is off-screen. It also bothers me a bit that Francoise Dorleac died shortly after this was released and she probably would have been a great French actress like her sister. I was still blown away by this movie and actually enjoyed this more than the equally great Umbrellas of Cherbourg. After a flattering French musical, I fell asleep well after having seen such a charming movie. Now I am looking forward to seeing something else directed by Jacques Demy and probably also a little something directed by his wife...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Now what are some movies or anything else that are sweet dreams fuel for you?

I rarely remember my dreams, but I always sleep with the TV on, usually with either movies or TV shows that I've seen so many times that I can listen to them with my eyes closed and I know what's happening on screen.

Sometimes I sleep to a movie marathon of my favorite rom-com movies, like When Harry Met Sally..., While You Were Sleeping, Kiss Me Goodbye, Sunday in New York, Barefoot in the Park, etc.

Sometimes I'll choose a specific actor or actress and sleep to a marathon of their movies. My most common choices are Cary Grant, Jack Lemmon, Doris Day, Dick Van Dyke, and Meg Ryan.

Sometimes I'll pick a TV show instead of a movie, usually a sitcom. My most common choices are "The Big Bang Theory", "Friends", "Stark Raving Mad", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "My Favorite Martian", "Barney Miller", "Night Court", "Becker", "Mad About You", "Cheers", and "Frasier".

As for music that I can sleep to, I sometimes sit back in my chair with a music playlist playing during the day, and close my eyes to relax. My favorite artists to relax to are Neil Diamond, Don Williams, George Strait, Michael Crawford, John Barrowman, Ricky Van Shelton, and Michael Bublé.

I once went to a showing of Zama where Lucrecia Martel was in attendance. Lots of soothing, natural sounds on the soundtrack. She said it was okay to doze off during the movie and I took that as permission.

I've always used films as a moud adjuster. There's a few I watch when I'm stressed or worried.
  • Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Because it's such a rich fantasy, it brings deep wonder to everything in the natural realm: trees, valleys, rivers. It makes me focused on the essentials, it's the very quotation of the creator: "It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."
  • Why Has Bodhidharma Left for the East
    Because it's the purest film I've ever seen and believe it was ever made. It's directed to the very core of human nature. It's not nihilism, it's pure observation, I'd just enjoyed it even better if they took out most of the words.
  • Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
    Because of the cinematography, the old master in each step, each act asserts certainty and pondering, a contradiction here, but it's what I find, it's one of the most relaxing films I've ever seen, it's the reason I've never watched and will never watch the famous Korean series he acted in.
  • Paterson
    It's basically my life and the life of most people, although I talk way more and write very less. People tend to like to know they are not alone, I'm not any different. Routine, normal job, a very interesting story, I find.

There are others, but I don't want to talk about them, I barely talk about the films I really like, this is one of the firsts.

Something a little extra is some TV shows that give me good sleep. While my favorite TV show has always been Spongebob Squarepants(that gives me good dreams, but is not the show I am talking about), a TV program that gives me good dreams after watching an episode of it is a show from the 80s called Moonlighting. I like to watch it best at night, since it sort of captures the vibe of the show. I enjoy the mix of comedy and drama in the show, and find some of the episode premises to be very creative(a dream where things are black and white and references noir films. Orson Welles even gave his final performance on this show doing the opening narration). I also find Bruce Willis here to be really funny as this carefree detective who does not discipline his business. Cybill Shepherd is this sensitive and pretty character who wants to improve the detective agency, and usually gets annoyed by the other character's antics. Because of the vibes, the warmth of this show, and the music in it, I love falling asleep to it. It is too bad this one does not have the reputation of Full House, Family Matters, Cheers, Alf, and other shows, where they are loved by everybody. This one is more of a cult show. It is also sad that this show is not available on streaming services due to music rights.

As for music, I really like sleeping to jazz music(especially that of Dave Brubeck's). Most songs by the progressive-rock band Camel also lures me to sleep well. The song Lady Fantasy feels like you are in a dream most of the time and A Song Within A Song sounds like a lullaby at one point of it. The only user I expect to know this band at all on this site though is me however. If you like music, you should check this band out, it will be worth your time.
Now what are some movies or anything else that are sweet dreams fuel for you?
BUMP: I admit to being quite embarassed by this due to the mention of some 80s detective show and Camel. I feel cold feet about even reading this.

I have to reconsider this

I rarely remember my dreams, but I always sleep with the TV on, usually with either movies or TV shows that I've seen so many times that I can listen to them with my eyes closed and I know what's happening on screen.
Can’t even imagine doing this. Would definitely need the tv on mute, but the glare from the screen would still keep me awake.

Can’t even imagine doing this. Would definitely need the tv on mute, but the glare from the screen would still keep me awake.
Me too. I grew up in a household where the TV was usually always on, except for at night. I can't stand to have a TV just running if I'm not actively watching it, it catches my attention and distracts me. I only turn the TV on at night when we eat dinner and watch a movie. I can't say any movies give me sweet dreams, but I do watch The Love Boat for some carefree goofy relaxation. I guess that helps me sleep.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Me too. I grew up in a household where the TV was usually always on, except for at night. I can't stand to have a TV just running if I'm not actively watching it, it catches my attention and distracts me. I only turn the TV on at night when we eat dinner and watch a movie. I can't say any movies give me sweet dreams, but I do watch The Love Boat for some carefree goofy relaxation. I guess that helps me sleep.

I've had a TV in my room for as long as I can remember, and I've always fallen asleep with the TV on, so it's easy for me to sleep with the TV on.

I've even woken up in the middle of the night a few times because we lost power and the TV went off, and the silence woke me up. When I was in grade school, we had an area-wide power outage one night, and my sister and I were just about the only people who were on time to school that day, (including most of the teachers and the principal). Everyone who relied on their alarm clock to wake them overslept because with no power, their alarm clocks didn't go off.

Right. My dentist once mentioned that she has a tv on at all times when she’s at home. Actually, the only time I turn on my tv is to play a dvd. I never ever turn on my tv to watch tv.

This maybe slightly off topic as I do not use TV to sleep. But I do use comedy movies or tv shows to cleanse the palate if I have seen something disturbing like a particularly effective horror or thriller. It helps me to sleep after that.

I enjoy falling asleep to movies/shows. I turn the volume down very low, then turn the brightness down to the lowest setting so that there's barely any light coming from the TV. I set a sleep timer for 30 or 60 minutes so that the TV won't play all night or possibly wake me up once I'm asleep.

I often put on action movies, which you would think would be distracting, but I find the rhythms of them soothing. I've watched the first 1/4 of Sword of Vengeance and Trigger Man too many times to count.

Also, on this topic, you know when Netflix or whoever releases data being like "There are people who watched A Christmas Prince 50 times!" and everyone is like "LOL! What sad sack is watching that film so many times?!", my immediate reaction is that those people are obviously falling asleep to the movie. Right?

I enjoy falling asleep to movies/shows. I turn the volume down very low, then turn the brightness down to the lowest setting so that there's barely any light coming from the TV. I set a sleep timer for 30 or 60 minutes so that the TV won't play all night or possibly wake me up once I'm asleep.
Even the on/off switch of the tv has a tiny light. I find it slightly disturbing, but, as I once crashed into the tv on the way to the bathroom, this light does help someone who has bad night vision like me.

I keep my TV on all night too...I'm an insomniac and rarely sleep through the night so having the TV helps me keep track of what time it is. I always know what time it is by what's on TV.

So getting a good dream from a movie(tv shows and music too) is one of my favorite experiences to have, since I feel good after the dream is over and realize that I have sat through something good. Most of the films that give me good dreams are musicals, comedies, most old movies, and especially ones that are very charming.

The Young Girls At Rochefort - This might be in my top 10-20 favorite movies. I love this one, because of the bright colors(a staple of Jacques Demy's movies), the songs, and for being so fun. Catherine Deneuve and her sister Francoise Dorleac were great in their roles, and what they wore made the movie even more enchanting(the matching clothes of different colors and the red dresses). I laughed at a couple of scenes such as the mention of Michel Legrand(the movie's composer) and how the twin's mother broke up with someone over a name(they get back together at the end of the movie though). However, I was quite annoyed with the artist subplot, because we see all of these near misses with him and Catherine's character(She is his ideal woman from a picture he painted of a blond woman that looked like her). Then at the end of the movie, we do not get to see their meeting, since it is off-screen. It also bothers me a bit that Francoise Dorleac died shortly after this was released and she probably would have been a great French actress like her sister. I was still blown away by this movie and actually enjoyed this more than the equally great Umbrellas of Cherbourg. After a flattering French musical, I fell asleep well after having seen such a charming movie. Now I am looking forward to seeing something else directed by Jacques Demy and probably also a little something directed by his wife...

I liked The Young Girls At Rochefort...not as much as you did but I liked it.

Have any of you discovered the 10-hour thunderstorm videos on Amazon or Youtube? Those are NICE.

I don't have a TV in my bedroom but I use the T-Storm videos when I'm on the couch on lazy weekends or when I'm sick. Instant drowsiness.

Victim of The Night

As for music, I really like sleeping to jazz music(especially that of Dave Brubeck's).
Funny, I like to listen to Paul Desmond for sleepy time or Bill Evans while I read before bed.