Rob Reiner; Rate His Films as Director

Tools    

I think people like Scorsese films because: they are good, and he is a good director too (not saying he isn't) and because they really dig the subject matter (gangster/mafia/crime hard edge films are popular). So what I'm saying is: Reiner doesn't get really acclaimed like Scorsese in large part due to the subject matter of Reiner's movies, even though Reiner has proved himself to be a competent director.
I get you. I definitely think crime stuff sells better. I think about somebody like PTA, or to go more classic Billy Wilder. They are doing dramas and are much more acclaimed. Woody Allen only has one gear and he is much more acclaimed. I don’t totally disagree but I think there must be a little more to it as well.

I get you. I definitely think crime stuff sells better. I think about somebody like PTA, or to go more classic Billy Wilder. They are doing dramas and are much more acclaimed. Woody Allen only has one gear and he is much more acclaimed. I don’t totally disagree but I think there must be a little more to it as well.
Agreed.

But just for fun look at Scorsese's directorial filmography and see which of his films aren't that highly acclaimed (I.E. gushed over by MoFos), Then ask yourself if those less loved films are because they're not as well directed? Or is the lack of love, the subject matter? Same goes for any popular/acclaimed director. Of course this is all subjective and just my hunch.