A song for August

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
13 Amorphis - My Kantele

Haha, tough luck.
Amorphis was my gateway band into Scandinavian heavy metal and I still listen to them regularly, so expect a higher ranking from me, if it's any consolation.

Haha, tough luck.
Amorphis was my gateway band into Scandinavian heavy metal and I still listen to them regularly, so expect a higher ranking from me, if it's any consolation.
Weird. Me too!

Actually, I was introduced to the band and the genre as a whole by a long gone MoFo, Wintertriangles. If I recall, Eclipse was the album he first recommended, as it was around that time, or maybe at the time, Silent Waters had just come out.

Awwwwww, I assume you made the poor lil feller listen to it as well. Tha's krewel dude, krewel

Weird. Me too!

Actually, I was introduced to the band and the genre as a whole by a long gone MoFo, Wintertriangles. If I recall, Eclipse was the album he first recommended, as it was around that time, or maybe at the time, Silent Waters had just come out.
I was introduced to them much more randomly. Some guy on mIRC (anyone remember that?) had it as his username. Funny how something arbitrary like that can change your entire musical taste. While my classmates were listening to 311, Green Day and Dave Matthews Band, I was the "cool" kid playing the Tales from the Thousand Lakes and Elegy albums.

But anyway, they're one of the most consistently good bands in the genre. I haven't heard a bad album or maybe even song from them. Those two albums and either Skyforger, Circle or Silent Waters are probably my favorites.

Round 59. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
(Recently played Alan Wake -- really fun with one of the most intriguing stories I've encountered in a video game -- and the soundtrack features a couple songs from Poets of the Fall that I really dug within that context. This one didn't stand out to me, though. Might've fared better in A Song for October.)
I love the Alan Wake games as well and that's also how I discovered the band. They've been one of my favorites ever since. I was lucky enough to see them live at a local festival. I figured I'd go with their most popular song and a ballad since my choices have been fast and hard lately.

Their Alan Wake songs go under the band name Old Gods of Asgard if anyone else wants to check them out.

I'll stop spamming the thread by talking about myself now.

1 Rainbow - Stargazer - Again I can't put my tune first...
2 Amorphis - My Kantele - Seminal folk metal song from the land of a thousand lakes.
3 Twin Tribes - Shadows - Shades of The Cure. Is this style seeing a resurgence?
4 Roxy Music - Love Is the Drug - Classic 80s tune.
5 Eminem - Book of Rhymes - Just NASTY skills on display here.
6 Kanye West - Flashing Lights - Smooth stuff
7 Tate McRae - you broke me first - I am too much of a sucker for dream pop to dislike this.
8 Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey I Love You - Pretty good
9 Morphine - Buena - I had a friend that was a massive Morphine fan back in the 90s. I can
see the appeal, but just not my thing.

10 Tom Waits - Tango Till They're Sore - Waits' atonal tinkering usually sends me running,
but his voice keeps this from coming in last.

11 Jo-El Sonnier - Tear-Stained Letter - Not bad
12 Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son - Was never a fan
13 Body Count - KKK Bitch - Not my favorite Iced T

I was introduced to them much more randomly. Some guy on mIRC (anyone remember that?) had it as his username. Funny how something arbitrary like that can change your entire musical taste. While my classmates were listening to 311, Green Day and Dave Matthews Band, I was the "cool" kid playing the Tales from the Thousand Lakes and Elegy albums.

But anyway, they're one of the most consistently good bands in the genre. I haven't heard a bad album or maybe even song from them. Those two albums and either Skyforger, Circle or Silent Waters are probably my favorites.
Big fan of Silent Waters and Skyforger, and I agree on not having a bad record. I tend to gravitate to their stuff with Tomi, more-so than the early stuff. And I like the Magic and Mayhem re-recordings of their early stuff. That said, I like their early stuff also, and have Elegy on vinyl. Big fan of Under the Red Cloud, as well. Saw them live a couple of years ago, and they were stellar.

3 Twin Tribes - Shadows - Shades of The Cure. Is this style seeing a resurgence?
Aye, I've got more 'Cure-sy' stuff tucked up me kilt that I might bring out at some point.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I was introduced to them much more randomly. Some guy on mIRC (anyone remember that?) had it as his username. .
mIRC was MY gateway into bootleg software packets.... 2.5Mb at a time, days at a time collecting 200+ packets hoping to get them all before the server closed or some jackass didn't rename a batch on crappy free dialup through K-Mart's Blue Light interface!!

<ynBOT> Trigger: yourMotherLikesWineCoolers Allowing: (2 user) Note: Type RULES for server rules. NO HAMMERING or IP BAN!!!!!!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

mIRC was MY gateway into bootleg software packets.... 2.5Mb at a time, days at a time collecting 200+ packets hoping to get them all before the server closed or some jackass didn't rename a batch on crappy free dialup through K-Mart's Blue Light interface!!
Ah, the good ol' days of '90s internet where you could exchange albums, registered video games, pretend to be a middle-aged women and get away with it (not that I did any of that, of course).

Let the night air cool you off
1. Kanye West - Flashing Lights
- If I ever write a book (I won’t), it’ll be about Kanye West. I would dedicate a whole chapter to Kanye comparing the paparazzi to Nazis in this song. I think it is one of the most Kanye things Kanye has ever put on wax.
2. Rainbow – Stargazer
- Hell yeah
3. Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Not my favorite CCR, but it’s CCR so it’s gonna do well.
4. Tom Waits - Tango Till They're Sore
- I’ve still never really given Tom Waits a chance despite saying a few times a year that I should.
5. Body Count - KKK Bitch
- Yeah, I don’t know if I should be listening to this at work. I swear to God if I get fired for this, I’m going to revise my vote and put this last.
6. Twin Tribes – Shadows
- There is something here. I’ll need to really dig into this to see if it has more than surface-level intrigue. There is something here. I’m on the fence, but I could fall on either side. It might just come down to lyrics, which I don’t always pay the most attention to on first listens.
7. Amorphis - My Kantele
- I was feeling the music a lil bit
8. Jo-El Sonnier - Tear-Stained Letter
- Don’t mess with my toot toot
9. Morphine – Buena
- This seemed decent. Reminded me of Hey Arnold. Maybe a little goofy.
10. Roxy Music - Love Is the Drug
- Alright but kinda annoying
11. Tate McRae - you broke me first
- I am not a fan of this style of singing that is prevalent in modern pop music.
14. Eminem - Book of Rhymes
- My least favorite rapper trying to do my least favorite style of rap… yeah, this is not for me. Is he doing this he rapping like this to make some kind of point or is he doing this to stay fresh? Either way, it’s not good.
15. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey I Love You
- I am too cynical for this sh*t.

Body Count - KKK Bitch - Old skool. Remember this album coming out and me and a friend wanting it. He got it and I never did. Don't know why? Ice T was the only rapper I was still (sometimes) listening to at that time.

Tate McRae - you broke me first - I only recently heard this but I instantly liked it and made a note for one of these tournaments.

Morphine - Buena - Yep, liked that.

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey I Love You - I enjoyed this. Unusual for me. Too reggae/island for my usual tastes, but today it's working.

Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Classic.

Kanye West - Flashing Lights - Oh, it's the song from that commercial. I like the hook.

Rainbow - Stargazer - Oh Rainbow, good. Ronny Dio? Oh no. Fairies and fannying. It wasn't as bad as that, though he does mention wizards.

Roxy Music - Love Is the Drug - I've never really gotten into Roxy Music.

Twin Tribes - Shadows - Um, it's OK. A bit like The Cure sound.

Tom Waits - Tango Till They're Sore - I was dreading this. Then I saw it was less than 3 minutes and I still dreaded it. Then it started. Eased up a bit... But I'm sorry, I just don't like this bloke. If it helps, this is better than pretty much anything else I've heard from him.

Eminem - Book of Rhymes - It's Eminem. It sounds like Eminem. It's OK but I was done long before he was.

Jo-El Sonnier - Tear-Stained Letter - Set it all down. Everything. Instruments, microphone, the lot.

Amorphis - My Kantele - It's ok till the vocal. I swear my drain makes that noise sometimes.

Round 6

1. Body Count - KKK Bitch
2. Tom Waits - Tango Till They're Sore
3. CCR - Fortunate Son
4. Amorphis - My Kantele
5. Eminem - Book of Rhymes
6. Twin Tribes - Shadows
7. Rainbow - Stargazer
8. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey I Love You
9. Kanye West - Flashing Lights
10. Morphine - Buena
11. Jo-El Sonnier - Tear-Stained Letter
12. Roxy Music - Love is the Drug
13. Tate McRae - you broke me first

Aye, I've got more 'Cure-sy' stuff tucked up me kilt that I might bring out at some point.
Guess that explains why Robert Smith's hair is so disheveled.

Guess that explains why Robert Smith's hair is so disheveled.
It's a pain in the arse all that back-combing.
Quite literally at times.

Round 6 list:

1. Rainbow - Stargazer
2. Morphine - Buena
3. Amorphis - My Kantele
4. Kanye West - Flashing Lights
5. Roxy Music - Love is the Drug
6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son
7. Body Count - KKK Bitch
8. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey I Love You
9. Tom Waits - Tango 'Til They're Sore
10. Twin Tribes - Shadows