A song for August

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

wait. what?
*scrolls back*
holy monkey nuts, Batman! that's a first. pretty sure getting ONE round was a first. you all DO realize those weren't BOWIE picks, right? I mean I guess if you're all just autopiloting this and assuming everything I post is Bowie, that would make sense. and it WOULD make sense. cuz, well. Bowie.

still though. i am fearful of what this could mean. like maybe the universe is finally giving me something here because it knows something is about to go down in the land of yn. i been shouting(box) some trippy coincidentals lately. those meteor showers are approaching. hmmmmmm.

anyway. i'll have my round up within 24 hours and before the cutoff.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All voted again which means....

1st - Jack White - Love Is Blindness (81 pts)

Grats to Yin on also getting another through to the Final inaugural Yin/Speling head-to-head match

Congratulations @ynwtf!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) The Great Pretender - The Platters
2) Ronnie Milsap - Inside
3) Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
4) Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
5) Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
6) Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
7) Keram - Mary Magdalene
8) Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
9) Electrelane - Film Music
10) Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
11) Igorrr- Downgrade Desert
12) Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
13) Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains

A system of cells interlinked
Round 6 NOM

A little folk metal for this round...

Amorphis - My Kantele

Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us - I really don't like the MSP. Really. But I do like this song. Maybe it's just the rockstar of it all?

Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro - Mood is all important when it comes to how I rate these songs and classics usually do well with me when I need something calm or soothing or there's been too much of one kind of music. Today is a good day for this.

The Great Pretender - The Platters - It's a great song. I do prefer Freddie's version, but let's not quibble. It's great regardless.

Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne - I prefered this, but it was never going anywhere. It was there, then it ended. Today that's not a bad thing.

Edith Piaf - Padam, padam - I don't really get this kind of thing, but it worked for me today. I'm pleased and curious as to why.

Keram - Mary Magdalene - This was OK but fell into background for much of it. Nice guitar solo though.

Chris Cornell - Steel Rain - It's ok but not enough of any one thing to really push forwards.

Electrelane - Film Music - I quite liked this but it's a bit cacophonic (if that's a word) for my current mood. Were it familiar I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it more.

Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust - Mellow but meh. Someone mentioned video game music and this fits right in with that.

Igorrr- Downgrade Desert - Another victim to my inability to love the vocal.

Ronnie Milsap - Inside - It's not for me, but today I don't think it's going to be last. I don't know if that's just my mood or if the onslaught of this stuff I have to listen to in these tournaments is having an effect.

Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains - Same problem as usual for me with this genre.

Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb - I like The Bee Gees when it's Disco. I only like a couple of Babs songs, this won't do well.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
  1. Electrelane - Film Music
    Nothing to complain about. Pretty nice stuff.

2. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
    Probably the weaker song from the album (IMO), but after commenting on the solo I wanted to post it here to FORCE you folks to have a listen but I have always enjoyed Cornell's lyrical styling. This one is perhaps one of my favorite lyrics.

3. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us

4. Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
    Nice snare intro I never knew this was Streisand! Pretty disco groovy. Not sure Gibb helps, but those classic harmonies later are still tight.

5. Edith Piaf - Padam, padam

6. The Great Pretender - The Platters
    Good, safe classic. You left me to dream all alone.

7. Ronnie Milsap - Inside

8. Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains
    Maybe I should have listened to this first, before Lake of Tears and Poets of the Fall. I think those two set a pace that this, following them, jumped ahead in contrast.

9. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
    Oh I would have loved this in the 90s!! Pretty good sound and the voice weirdly fits with the mellow'ish mood given the style.

10. Keram - Mary Magdalene

11. Igorrr- Downgrade Desert

12. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
    Pretty good too, just not my thing. It may be the lyrics? I'm not sure. The sound is good and well mixed. The vocals and melody are nice.

13. Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro

In keeping with a very loose theme, I'm posting a third nom from the Big Little Lies soundtrack. Pretty good stuff all around. R6: Roxy Music - Love Is the Drug

*EDIT* because I have no idea wtf I was trying to type in some of those descriptions. Just, wow.

01: Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
02: Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
03: The Great Pretender - The Platters
04: Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
05: Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains
06: Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
07: Igorrr- Downgrade Desert
08: Ronnie Milsap - Inside
09: Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
10: Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
11: Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
12: Keram - Mary Magdalene
13: Electrelane - Film Music

Just so you know how strong AND weird that last round was, I spent all day at work with both "The Great Pretender" and "Inside" stuck in my head, songs that I had at #5 and #10! and now, I've been humming "Lake of Tears", which I had at #12, for about an hour or so.

Round 5

5. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
(Thought I was going to really dig this when it first kicked in, but sonically it just sorta flatlined. Needed a little more variance. Unremarkable but solid. Lily Anne is a pretty name. Might name my next miscarriage that.)
That's a criticism I can agree with. It's kind of a common issue with the band, unfortunately.

All voted again and I think we all know what that means....

1st - The Great Pretender - The Platters (129 pts)

2nd - Edith Piaf - Padam, padam (118 pts)
3rd - Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust (103 pts)
4th - Chris Cornell - Steel Rain (100 pts)
5th - Igorrr- Downgrade Desert (94 pts)
6th - Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne (93 pts)
7th - Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us (90 pts)
8th - Electrelane - Film Music (84 pts)
9th - Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro (82 pts)
10th - Keram - Mary Magdalene (79 pts)
11th - Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb (76 pts)
12th - Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains (75 pts)
13th - Ronnie Milsap - Inside (60 pts)

Grats to Speling on getting yet another through to the final and making sure the inaugural Yin/Speling head-to-head match is still on

Round six up in an hour and a quarter or thereabouts.... maybe a little later if I start another piece of crap fillum

1. Twin Tribes - Shadows
  2. Morphine - Buena
  3. Rainbow - Stargazer
  4. Roxy Music - Love Is the Drug
  5. Body Count - KKK Bitch
  6. Tom Waits - Tango Till They're Sore
  7. Tate McRae - you broke me first
  8. Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
  9. Eminem - Book of Rhymes
  10. Kanye West - Flashing Lights
  11. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey I Love You
  12. Jo-El Sonnier - Tear-Stained Letter