A song for August

Tools    

But seriously, an interesting round to be sure. Have there been any other memorably diverse rounds in past games?
Sure have, it's what makes these that bit more interesting. This one's particularly tough imo because as Sed said (that's not a stutter btw) it's a strong set of noms.

1. Igorrr- Downgrade Desert
2. Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
3. The Platters - The Great Pretender
4. Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
5. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
6. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
7. Keram - Mary Magdalene
8. Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains
9. Electrelane - Film Music
10. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
11. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
12. Ronnie Milsap - Inside
13. Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb

1. Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
  2. The Great Pretender - The Platters
  3. Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
  4. Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
  5. Igorrr- Downgrade Desert
  6. Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains
  7. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
  8. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
  9. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
  10. Ronnie Milsap - Inside
  11. Electrelane - Film Music
  12. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
  13. Keram - Mary Magdalene

R5
Eminem - Book of Rhymes

Congrats, ynwtf! That's one of Jack White's best vocal performances.

Round 5 list:

1. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
2. Lake of Tears - Demon You/Lily Anne
3. Keram - Mary Magdalene
4. Edith Piaf - Padam, Padam
5. Barbara Streisand - Guilty
6. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
7. The Platters - The Great Pretender
8. Ronnie Milsap - Inside
9. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
10. Ludwig Van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
11. Dark Tranquility - Monochromatic Stains
12. Igorr - Downgrade Desert
13. Electralane - Film Music

Let the night air cool you off
1. Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
- I don’t really know anything about music, so I won’t pretend to understand any arguments that favor classical music over popular music. But I do like the way a lot violin and piano music sound. Beethoven wrote a bunch of good violin and piano pieces it seems. I can see this putting some others off. It’s classical and it’s kinda long. Sorry to everybody who feels like this was a chore to sit through. I can tell it’s long, because this is the most of I written for any of the tracks.
2. The Great Pretender - The Platters
- I love this song.
3. Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
- Bruits français stupides faisant toutes sortes de sons
4. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
- I could see these guys getting annoying pretty quickly. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard any of their songs before, but I must have. I wouldn’t be opposed to further investigation, but consider me still skeptical.
5. Igorrr- Downgrade Desert
- Interesting stuff. I don’t think I love it, but I prefer it to a lot of the other stuff I listened to in this round.
6. Electrelane - Film Music
- If this is a weak round, this will do well. If this is a strong round, this will not do well. I listened to this first, so you will know how I feel about the round when you get here.
7. Ronnie Milsap – Inside
- Ronnie’s style of country is a little soft for my taste, plus I’m not a fan of this era of country’s prevalent production and musical style.
8. Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
- I expected to absolutely hate this. I don’t. Barry Gibb was pretty terrible, but Streisand wasn’t THAT bad. Not a good song, really, but it exceeded expectations. I’m probably putting this too high. Not a hot round for me so far.
9. Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains
- Not great or anything, but not something I outright have any passionate feelings about. I just don’t like this style of metal that much I don’t think.
10. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
- Not something I’ll be listening to again by choice. Could be worse.
11. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
- I don’t really need to listen to Chris Cornell anymore, but will continue to accept these nominations as penance for the sins I don’t know I have committed.
12. Keram - Mary Magdalene
- Sounded like contemporary Christian music for about five minutes, which is five minutes too long to listen to contemporary Christian music. The last minute or so seemed fine.
13. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
- Not my thing.

I just listened to the first bunch of songs and most of them were really, really good.

Round 5

1. Igorrr - Downgrade Desert
(The influx of interesting YouTube suggestions is one of my favorite aspects of these song tournaments, and this is one such suggestion, likely a result of Swan's Squarepusher nomination a couple rounds ago. Been listening to a lot of Igorrr the past couple days, and this is the most normal, accessible track I've heard so far from the highly experimental, wildly disparate mix of genres he (they?) masterfully orchestrate. Love how this song builds and the drumming is next level.)

2. Electrelane - Film Music
(Eerie and paranoid. The Doors meets Twilight Zone. Makes me feel like I'm driving through a long dark tunnel after a 3-day meth bender, constantly checking the rearview for imagined pursuers. A typical Wednesday evening, in other words.)

3. The Platters - The Great Pretender
("Laughin' and gay like a clown!?!?!?!" Has this motherf**ker put a spy cam in my bedroom? Plenty of straight clowns enjoy being pegged from behind as well, you judgmental large flat dishes!)

4. Edith Piaf - Padam, Padam
(Contrary to popular belief, Edith Piaf did not in fact invent rice pilaf.)

5. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
(Thought I was going to really dig this when it first kicked in, but sonically it just sorta flatlined. Needed a little more variance. Unremarkable but solid. Lily Anne is a pretty name. Might name my next miscarriage that.)

6. Dark Tranquility - Monochromatic Stains
(A bit monochromatic in sound as well, at least when it comes to this brand of metal. However, I appreciate the heaviness and I've come to really love this vocal style.)

7. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
(Great band name. Average song.)

8. Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
(Not the rectal prolapse I expected. Being a major change of pace from the other early noms is currently working in its favor.)

9. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
(Recently played Alan Wake -- really fun with one of the most intriguing stories I've encountered in a video game -- and the soundtrack features a couple songs from Poets of the Fall that I really dug within that context. This one didn't stand out to me, though. Might've fared better in A Song for October.)

10. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
(He obviously has a great and distinctive voice, even if it sounds to me like he's trying to pass a really large bowel movement most of the time. With the exception of a few Soundgarden tracks, I'm just not a fan.)

11. Ronnie Milsap - Inside
(What jiraffejustin said.)

12. Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
(When it comes to famous Beethovens, I prefer the St. Bernard. Also feel like I could've watched all eight films in the franchise in the amount of time it took this to finish.)

(If elevator music tried to rebel against its elevator parents by joining an elevator rock band.)

1. The Great Pretender - The Platters
2. Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
3. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
4. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
5. Lake of Tears - Demon You / Lily Anne
6. Igorrr- Downgrade Desert
7. Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro
8. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
9. Electrelane - Film Music
10. Barbra Streisand - Guilty ft. Barry Gibb
11. Dark Tranquillity - Monochromatic Stains
12. Ronnie Milsap - Inside

Also, I like classical music well enough, but while the Beethoven song is probably the best song in this round, I just ranked them from most to least favorite. It makes it easier that way, because I don't know how to compare Beethoven to Dark Tranquility.

I'm giving all the songs a second spin right now, but I agree with whoever said that this round is really, really strong.

Round 5

1. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
2. Keram - Mary Magdalene
3. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us
4. Igorrr - Downgrade Desert
5. The Great Pretender - The Platters
6. Electrelane - Film Music
7. Chris Cornell - Steel Rain
8. Edith Piaf - Padam, padam
9. Dark Tranquility - Monochromatic Stains
10. Ronnie Milsap - Inside
11. Barbra Streisand - Guilty feat. Barry Gibb
12. Lake of Tears - Demon You/Lily Anne
13. Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 6, I. Allegro

Again, really strong round. Aside from my pick, there were two others I had listened before (Chris Cornell, Beethoven) and I like those songs, and they ended up in 7 and 13, so you can see how strong it was. I can see myself listening to pretty much everything here again, at least once.