Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Starting The Thief tonight. Storm knocked our power out last night.
Just a brief reminder that you have the rest of today to finish up The Thief.

The trick is not minding
The Thief

Sanja is born to a single mother a year after WWII ends. His father, a soldier, has died. Circumstances in life haven’t been kind to him and his mother before he was even born.

By the time he is six, his bond with his mother is the only thing he knows and as a result, is strong. So when a soldier appears and seduces his way into his mothers bed and his home, it becomes a battle for her attention. Gradually, the soldiers violent behavior begins to show. In time, the mother and the son switch places on how they view the soldier.

The director shoots the film mostly from the point of view from Sanja, and there are allusions to Hamlet when he sees his fathers ghost on occasion. It even ask for Veangence, and so the son sees the soldier in a new light, especially after his treatment of his mother who Sanja holds so dear.

Tragedy tears them apart. Fate brings it full circle. The ending is just as tragic as it is violent.

Paver Chukhray is the son of Grigory, himself a famous director. Here he shows he had inherited some of his fathers talent. The films reminds me a bit of The Return, and even has a similar scene.

All three principle actors are good, but the film hinges on the child. He succeeds, which is no small feat.

This is a great film, one that holds up on a second viewing. But even I must admit that there were even better films in this HOF.
But it’s in good company.

The trick is not minding
Ballot sent. As I mentioned in my PM to Spellling, this was a great HOF. I wouldn’t even be disappointed if there were a tie at the top.
I’m rooting for Cranes or Stalker to get the top spot, or seven a tie, but even Dream of a Ridiculous Man and The Thief are worthy films that are deserving.

Thank you again, Spelling, for hosting.

Great job, @SpelingError! Even though I didn't join, I was following this, reading reviews, and I've added all of this films to my watchlist.

Thanks y'all! I might host the next main HoF (unless someone else is already doing it; I'll have to speak to Citizen Rules for info on that). I don't know if I'd have time for two HoFs when college starts up, but when summer comes around, I should have more time to do another specialty HoF.

Also, I'll post the results tomorrow if you all are okay with that as I'm leaving for something in about 10 minutes.

Hopefully SpelingError hosts more. I’d be interested in seeing his other interests are through these.
I whole heartily agree!

Thanks y'all! I might host the next main HoF (unless someone else is already doing it; I'll have to speak to Citizen Rules for info on that)...
We just call shotgun, you know first to ask will host an HoF. So far no one has said that they wanted to host the 26th HoF. I'd be happy as a clam, if you hosted the 26th HoF I've already been thinking about my nom.

I whole heartily agree!

We just call shotgun, you know first to ask will host an HoF. So far no one has said that they wanted to host the 26th HoF. I'd be happy as a clam, if you hosted the 26th HoF I've already been thinking about my nom.
Could I host the next one then? I assume it would go up a few days or a week after the 25th HoF ends.

Also, are you the main person who runs HoFs? I notice that you log all the winners in the Archives thread, but I'm not sure if there's an actual head of these threads or not.

Could I host the next one then? I assume it would go up a few days or a week after the 25th HoF ends.
It's not up to me, it's not up to any one person...Like I said our MoFo tradition is for the first person who says that they want to host...they get to host...So you're the host of the 26th by reason that you called it first And the details of the 26th will be up to you. Usually the next main HoF starts shortly after one ends but that will be up to you too.

Also, are you the main person who runs HoFs?
No, there is no main person. I do run my share of them, BUT it's an equal thing, whoever wants to host an HoF can. We are all equal here!

I notice that you log all the winners in the Archives thread, but I'm not sure if there's an actual head of these threads or not.
Nope no head of the HoFs. We did try that once long ago and it was a s***-fest. All sorts of fights happened because of that. That's why I'm quick to say no one can tell another person if they can or can't run an HoF.

Just think of me as a mere museum curator or score keeper at a ball game. I don't make the rules I just log the results of the various HoFs.

There's a two way tie between the next two films. Who here thinks they know what the films are?
Not Stalker or The Cranes are Flying...So I'll guess The Return and The Dream of a Ridiculous Man.

#4=:

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man (1992, Aleksandr Petrov)

Ballot Rankings: 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th, 6th

Total Points: 16

#4=:

Letter Never Sent (1960, Mikhail Kalatozov)

Ballot Rankings: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th

Total Points: 16