Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Cool

I assume that Citizen Rules and ScarletLion will be able to finish up their final film as well.
Yup, I'm basically done now. I just need to write up Stalker. I should have some free time to do that tomorrow. I would've already done it but we were without power most of yesterday and the day before. Oh did I mention it was also 104 in the the shade! Bad time to lose power

Yup, I'm basically done now. I just need to write up Stalker. I should have some free time to do that tomorrow. I would've already done it but we were without power most of yesterday and the day before. Oh did I mention it was also 104 in the the shade! Bad time to lose power
I feel that. Our air conditioning was broken for a few weeks, and I had to move all my stuff to the basement since it was cooler down there. Fortunately though, it was fixed today, so that's good.

Oof.

My power went out yesterday and everything has been restored . . . except for my HVAC system. Luckily I was able to work a few hours today in an air conditioned school, but the second floor of my house is like an oven.

Stalker
(Tarkovsky 1979)

Much has been written about Stalker and yet for me words fail to convey the personal resonance the film achieves. Like a tuning fork that's been struck, the sensation is real and yet the tuning fork seems placid. Stalker achieves much by not being obvious. In the zone the laws of physics seem inapplicable, yet the ever changing mystery is palpable as the participants believe it to be so...so then did I.

No other movie that I can think of is more akin to a spiritual faith via film, than Stalker...and that's saying a lot.

The trick is not minding
Ok, was delayed by being too tired to watch any movie the last 3 days, but with 3 Day weekend, going to tackle the same two I’ve been meaning to the last week.

Ok, was delayed by being too tired to watch any movie the last 3 days, but with 3 Day weekend, going to tackle the same two I’ve been meaning to the last week.
Sounds good

Let me know if you'd like me to extend the deadline by a week.

The trick is not minding
The Cranes are Flying

With war movies, it isn’t necessarily about the war itself, but the characters in them, and the effects the war has on said characters.

Veronika (Tatiana Samoilova) and Boris (Aleksy Batalov) are two such characters. Lovers torn apart by war, they both live their lives trying to survive, in their own manner. The film focuses mainly on Veronika, and it’s easy to see why. She’s the heart and soul of this film.

Samoilova is just simply amazing here. The way she carries herself throughout the film, and how she is able to express her emotions through her eyes, her facial expressions, all told with such fierce determination.

I won’t go into the plot because it how the plot is told that matters. The directors camerawork is among the best I’ve seen from that time. From the way Veronika runs through smoke and oncoming tanks to the scene where she runs past a fence. And the little details. Like how she wears a black dress for the entirety of the war and when the soldiers return, she wears white as she awaits for her lover to return.

Such an amazing film. But of course, this HOF is full of them.

'The Thief' (1997).

Really enjoyed this film. Had no idea what to expect. The quality wasn't great and i'm disappointed it hasn't had a blu ray as it's film that was seemingly received very well on release. The little lad plays the central character very well and the emotional moments are executed nicely. It rekindled memories of quite a few films like Shoplifters / Bicycle thieves and even Wildlife. There's a heartbreaking image towards the end that concerns the boy's mother that will stay with me for a long time. It perhaps could have done with a slightly longer third act to create a bit more tension.

But a worthwhile entry, and that's my noms all done.

The trick is not minding
Letter Never Sent

After watching the amazing Cranes, I was interested to see how Kalazatov was able to follow up on it.
I have my answer, and it’s not as good as some others consider.

Now don’t get me wrong, the direction is is still great, and the black and white cinematography looks amazing, and Samoilova shows a different kind of depth behind her Tanya in this.

But the film left me indifferent, and somehow didn’t seem that exciting considering the story. Maybe it was just expecting too much considering Cranes floored me. Kalazotov strips the film bare and relies on the actors to convey their emotion and the cinematography to present the hopelessness. But it somehow lacks a human touch, somehow. Maybe he was too far removed from it with his direction.

It’s not a bad film, but there is far better films that are ahead of it.

The trick is not minding
Also, let me just say that this HOF has introduced me to Samoilova and I’m totally smitten. Not only a great actress from what I’ve seen but also so dark and beautiful.
*swoons*

Fun Fact: The top two films for this HoF are currently tied, so this means that Wyldesyde's ballot will declare the winner. Not to put pressure on him, but...jk, I do mean to put pressure on him.

Fun Fact: The top two films for this HoF are currently tied, so this means that Wyldesyde's ballot will declare the winner. Not to put pressure on him, but...jk, I do mean to put pressure on him.
Ha! Some great films in this HoF and the others were also very intriguing. Wylde hurry up! So we can see which film won