Russian Language Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I really liked it and agreed with most of what you wrote.

I would say my main point of difference is that, while it is true that a lot of the character development doesn't "pay off", I kind of felt like it worked. It's almost like a Psycho-style thing where what you thought was the conflict ultimately is not the conflict. It kind of highlights the way that what we feel is important in the moment can radically shift in an instant.
That's a fair interpretation of the character development. I do like how the abrupt introduction of the forest fire changes the tone right away and I can see that extending to the various character dynamics as well. Another viewing may get me to like that aspect more.

That's a fair interpretation of the character development. I do like how the abrupt introduction of the forest fire changes the tone right away and I can see that extending to the various character dynamics as well. Another viewing may get me to like that aspect more.
I will concede that I didn't find the characters SUPER interesting (pre-fire), so some of the hang-out scenes didn't end up being that compelling. But I think that they become more compelling when they become the contrast to what came later.

I will concede that I didn't find the characters SUPER interesting (pre-fire), so some of the hang-out scenes didn't end up being that compelling. But I think that they become more compelling when they become the contrast to what came later.
Yeah, I think the first half hour mainly establishes and sets up their character dynamics, so there isn't a whole lot to say about them for the first half hour. One would expect the next hour to develop them further, but of course, that doesn't end up happening, so instead, they act as contrast to the forest fire.

Stalker, 1979

In an undefined future, a man known only as a Stalker (Aleksandr Kaydanovskiy) guides two men, the Writer (Anatoliy Solonitsyn) and the Professor (Nikolay Grinko) into and through a mysterious area known as The Zone. Ostensibly having something to do with a crashed alien ship or something of that nature, the Zone is a strange place. Within the Zone exists a room said to grant the inner desires of those who enter, and we watch as the men wind their way toward it.

So when I was in elementary school, I attended a birthday party and being a total sugar-fiend, I watched in delight as a large chocolate cake was carried to the table. This thing was a dream. The kind of cake that almost looks more like a cartoon than a real thing. I happily queued up for my piece and then, hustling to a seat, took my first bite. It was not good. The chocolate was infused with some sort of fruity extract or flavoring, and even to my young palate, sickly sweet. My body actually rebelled, and I could only bring myself to take one more small bite in the hopes that I'd just gotten an odd bite. It was confusing. How could this thing that looked and smelled so good not be delightful?

I am not saying that Stalker is a gross piece of cake, not even close. But this is the second time that I have watched it and experienced that sense of confusion. Slow-burn sci-fi, amazing visuals---this is a film that is basically made for my tastes and yet I just fail to click with it. Going into this viewing, I even saw this as my second chance. I knew that I hadn't connected with the film when I watched it about 10 years ago, but I figured that I'd matured and seen a lot of films since then, and I would probably have a new appreciation for it.

This viewing, though, was very much the same as the first time. The look of it is stunning. The part of me that responds to films on some sort of weird intuitive/visual level was absolutely thrilled by this film. I had half-remembered certain sequences and images, but they were so much better than I remembered. It's something about the combination of organic forms and off-kilter glimpses of technology. The sequence late in the film in which large light bulbs float in the water, just adding a disconcerting and borderline beautiful element to the background of the action.

Why this film doesn't touch me on a deeper level is something I can't quite figure out. I have seen a handful of Tarkovsky's films (Ivan's Childhood, Solaris, Andrei Rublev and the first 1/3 of Mirror), and Stalker is the least connected to the story that I've felt out of all of them. I am well aware that many people consider Stalker to be Tarkovsky's best, and the word "masterpiece" gets thrown around in regards to it by many people whose taste I appreciate. I don't know what it is that I don't see what they see.

From a technical and visual point of view, this was incredibly engaging. But I never fully clicked with it on an emotional level, and so my appreciation for it was somewhat from a distance.

The Dream of a Ridiculous Man, 1992

In this animated short film, a suicidal man (Aleksandr Kaydanovskiy) roams the streets in a disconnected funk. A little girl in distress crosses his path, forcing him to rethink his plan. The man falls asleep and has a series of dramatic and highly symbolic dreams that combine visions of himself and the little girl as well as strange and ancient societies.

First, a huge thumbs up to someone for nominating a short film for this HoF. I was this close to nominating Hedgehog in the Fog (
) before settling on The Return instead. I feel that short films often get short shrift (no pun intended) and are not considered "real movies" by some people, when in fact they sometimes do more with 5-30 minutes than other films get done in 120.

I quite enjoyed this film. I have not read the short story on which it is based, so I can't speak to how well it represents the story. I dug the animation style and how highly visual it was, with little or no dialogue in many stretches. There is a great skill to use visuals so economically to reflect the way that the narrator's feelings about his relationship to the world has changed.

I also liked what I saw as the ultimate message of the film, namely that if your life or the world around you are not what you want them to be, it is worth trying to make a change.

I hadn't heard of this one before and I'm really glad it was recommended here.

And here I was wondering "Am I actually going to finish this before Takoma?" I guess not though
You're over half done, though! I tend to watch a film a day on weekends (sometimes 2-3 if it's a lazy day) and about 1/2 of a film on weekdays.

I'm taking this HoF slow since it is a smaller list of films and also this is the last two weeks of school and work is CRAZY.

You're over half done, though! I tend to watch a film a day on weekends (sometimes 2-3 if it's a lazy day) and about 1/2 of a film on weekdays.

I'm taking this HoF slow since it is a smaller list of films and also this is the last two weeks of school and work is CRAZY.
Yeah, I'm transitioning between this one and the 25th HoF and am trying to take no more than 3 days to watch and write my review about each film.

The Cranes Are Flying (1957)
Directed by Mikhail Kalatozov

Very impressive film in part because of the ground breaking cinematography with camera compositions and selective lighting that has inspired generations of later film makers. Also impressive because of the script that blends personal melodrama with the ever present war that looms over the Soviet landscape like a fog of despair.

Tatyana Samoylova who played the lead Veronika, was amazing. She has this haunting look in her eyes like someone who has seen far too much suffering for someone so young. Through her soulful gaze I could appreciate the amount of hardships the Russian people endured during WWII.

The juxtaposition of the opening scenes, before the war, which are light and joyful, viewed against the second and third acts where the film is more claustrophobic with tight camera shots on the actors stressed faces.

I'm sure The Cranes are Flying is going to be making the Foreign Language countdown!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	cranes.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	77923  

The Return (2003) -

This film would definitely make a short list of my favorite thrillers. It starts off with a super interesting premise and keeps getting better as it rolls along, culminating with an emotionally oblique and complex final act that resonated with me more than anything I've seen in film for a while.

Even though Andrei and Ivan both reacted to their father's abuse with different degrees of seriousness, both their responses were valid reactions to his behavior. Ivan was the more rebellious and concerned of the two. He protested his father's behavior a lot, refused to address him as his father when speaking to him (I found the ending to be a powerful culmination to this aspect), and experienced most of his father's abuse. His response felt like a natural reaction to his father's behavior. By contrast, Andrei protested his behavior less, was fine with addressing him as his father, and, as a result, experienced less of his abusive behavior, as if he was trying not to get on his father's bad side. I also liked that the film didn't go over-the-top with the father's abuse. Yes, he recurrently physically and emotionally hurt both brothers as the film went on, but it also didn't feel like the film was wallowing in the brutality of this (part of this is because some of the father's behavior simply involved him acting strange rather than abusive). I normally don't do well with seeing characters hurt for long periods of time, but I think Zvyagintsev found a good balance for the father's behavior and made their plight engaging to watch.

WARNING: spoilers below
While those elements are compelling though, I was mainly drawn to the mystery of the film in regards to which details were left ambiguous and which ones weren't. Throughout most of the film, the possibility that the father might kill his kids was on my mind. This raised questions on what his motives were and if he actually was their father to begin with. The father threatening Andrei with an axe implied that he did intend to kill them for a second, but the next scene implied otherwise. As he chased Ivan through the woods and up the tower, he didn't yell anything like "I'm going to kill you!" Instead, he tried to reason with him and seemed genuinely concerned for his safety. Obviously, this doesn't excuse the way he treated them prior to that scene, but what's important is that he was arguably trying to protect his son when he died rather than hurt him. Given the possibility of that, I didn't feel relieved when their father fell to his death. Instead, I questioned how I initially viewed him and wondered what would've happened if he made it to the top of the tower (I don't think he would've hurt him). Regardless of what his intentions were though, both outcomes lead to compelling results. If their father did intend to kill them, it's good that he died. If he didn't intend to kill them though, that makes the film a tragedy. Those who felt a lack of closure by the film's open-endedness are experiencing the full extent of the film's ambiguously menacing power. Granted though, if I had to nitpick one small detail, the mystery over what was in the box the father dug up on the island was unnecessary and that sub-plot could've been removed. Every other ambiguous aspect though worked phenomenally.

In conclusion, I'm glad I got to watch this film as it's a new personal favorite of mine. It sucked me in right at the beginning and never let go.

Next up: Stalker

'Stalker'

This nomination gave me a chance to whip out my Criterion Blu Ray of Stalker again. I still have the same thoughts on it as I did when I first watched it. Like most Tarkovsky films, it's difficult to write a review for Stalker. It's not unlike The Mirror in that it's a visual poem that needs experiencing rather than a narrative film that requires understanding. It's cerebral, ethereal, puzzling and hypnotic. There are changing colour palettes and beautiful frame compositions.

Tarkovsky divided opinion and this in some ways could be the ultimate art house film. Is it about Tarkovsksy's views on the Soviet Union? A chilling prophecy on Nuclear accidents? Or just a philosophical attempt to unravel the meaning of life and religion? Three wise men venturing into a far away land. I just enjoyed letting it interfere with my eyes and mind.

Half the crew and Tarkovsky died from cancer after this film. Many on set believe it was as a direct result of shooting in so many toxin-riddled locations for Stalker. Stalker remains one of the most beautiful, mysterious iconic Russian films ever made.

“I was cured, all right!”
Dear Mofos, I have some really sad news. A very kind friend of mine (and my family) died last week. He was close and his daughter, the poor girl, is devasted right now. If thats not enough sadness to us, I'm with two uncles on hospital with COVID (one of them is at a very critical situation), so of course, my cousins are very worried. My family needs me, I'm so sorry but I'll have do drop. I know all of you will understand my terrible situation. Sorry for any trouble.

Peace.

Dear Mofos, I have some really sad news. A very kind friend of mine (and my family) died last week. He was close and his daughter, the poor girl, is devasted right now. If thats not enough sadness to us, I'm with two uncles on hospital with COVID (one of them is at a very critical situation), so of course, my cousins are very worried. My family needs me, I'm so sorry but I'll have do drop. I know all of you will understand my terrible situation. Sorry for any trouble.

Peace.
Sorry to hear this. Best wishes from MOFO, and of course this HoF should be nowhere near your list of priorities. Take it easy.

Peace.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. I totally understand though. Take care.

'Stalker'

This nomination gave me a chance to whip out my Criterion Blu Ray of Stalker again. I still have the same thoughts on it as I did when I first watched it. Like most Tarkovsky films, it's difficult to write a review for Stalker. It's not unlike The Mirror in that it's a visual poem that needs experiencing rather than a narrative film that requires understanding. It's cerebral, ethereal, puzzling and hypnotic. There are changing colour palettes and beautiful frame compositions.

Tarkovsky divided opinion and this in some ways could be the ultimate art house film. Is it about Tarkovsksy's views on the Soviet Union? A chilling prophecy on Nuclear accidents? Or just a philosophical attempt to unravel the meaning of life and religion? Three wise men venturing into a far away land. I just enjoyed letting it interfere with my eyes and mind.

This is how I wish I felt about this film.

Peace.
I am sorry for your loss and wish your uncles a speedy recovery.

Peace.
Sorry to hear your sad news. I hope the future is brighter for you and friends and family.

Khrustalyov, My Car!, 1998

(I know it's out of this HoF, but I watched it so I am reviewing it!)

In the waning days of Stalin's dictatorship, a military man named Klensky (Yurly Tsurilo) awaits the inevitable consequences of the fallout of the Doctors' Plot.

This one was hard for me, to be honest, and it was a combination of several factors.

To begin with, I simply was not (and am not!) familiar enough with Russian history to understand what was happening on the political front. This is the first time I ever heard of the Doctors' Plot, and I only read about it after watching the film. I felt a bit unmoored when it came to the cultural/historical context of the story.

But I also kind of struggled here stylistically. The film is . . . loud. Maybe borderline assaultive. And it maintains that pitch for the entire 140+ minutes of runtime. On one hand, I did sort of admire the way that the film maintained a sort of mania for such a long runtime without utterly collapsing. But it was just too much for me.

And combined with the intensity of the presentation were some uses of animals I didn't love. After the scene with the cat, I kind of tuned out a bit.

This was certainly a different kind of film. I would be very interested to read a review from someone who really enjoyed it.

Oh, since Ultraviolence dropped out, Khrustalyov, My Car! isn't in this anymore. I edited my message on the first page of this thread, but probably should've made a post here as well. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Just noticed the first sentence in your review.

Let the night air cool you off

Peace.
No worries at all. I hope things turn out as good as possible and that some peace can be found soon for you, your family and your friend's daughter.