The Funniest Film of the 1990's!

Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
Note --- Your choice for the funniest film of the 1990's may differ from Kong's, but this doesn't matter because if that's the case, then you are quite simply wrong.

So, here it is, the funniest film of the 1990's....

The Big Lebowski

All hell breaks loose for our main man, Jeffrey Lebowski (AKA, The Dude), when he pursues redress from another Jeffrey Lebowski for a carpet that was urinated upon by some thugs who had gotten The Dude confused with the other Jeffrey Lobowski...the millionaire Jeffrey Lebowski. Of course, thats not really the point.

The plot is complex, and interwoven with numerous subplots, and many first time watchers are so busy trying to decipher everything that is happening that they miss the majority of the film's humor. But, after seeing the film a few times the plot becomes the background, and the hilarious and unique characters suddenly jump into the fore. The Big Lebowski is one of those rare films that just seem to get funnier and funnier, because with each viewing you are picking up more and more of the jokes. A seasoned viewer will know that every single line in the film is quotable, and in some way funny.

The Coen brothers did an amazing job with every aspect of the film. The casting was pitch perfect, and all the actors gave wonderful performances; the cinematography is gorgeous and lively, particularly in the dream sequences; the dialogue is uproarious, and unique for each character, and the music fits perfectly, especially when "Looking Out My Back Door" plays after The Dude gets a proctological examination (get it?).

In short, The Big Lebowski is nothing less than side-splitting, although it may take multiple viewings for many people to realize this. It's endearing and memorable characters, zany plot, wonderful repartee, and visual beauty all combine to make this the funniest film of the 1990's.

Excellent choice Kong. Lebowski probably would've been my first choice as well, but for discussion purposes I'm going to have to go with two others: There's Something About Mary and Kingpin. The Farrelly Brothers are the best humanists working in America today. Give me Stuck on You or give me death!

"Eight-year-olds, Dude."

Great movie, one of Joel & Ethan's best. I had the extreme pleasure of ripping Washington Post critic Stephen Hunter a new one in front of a crowd after an advanced screening where he was dismissing the film. Good times, good times.

For more choices of funny flicks from the last decade, go HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Get off my island
Personally, the one that sticks in my mind from the last decade is Groundhog DayGroundhog Day with Bill Maurray. Anyone else like that one?

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

"Kong good Gorilla"

In total agreement with ya Kong BIG LEBOWSKI is the one I would have cited too. A clever, witty film that is totally eccentric and original. Most importantly its all funnya s hell, while keeping your mind satisfied too.

NB* WONDERBOYS runs a hair away in 2nd)

Good point "Holden", my memory must be playin up.......

& in that case ZERO EFFECT runs a close 2nd

Good choice, Kong. One of my favorite Coen Brothers movies. BUT.....Clerks takes the cake as my favorite of the 90's. No movie made me laugh harder. Waiting For Guffman is up there somewhere as well. Both display, in their own way, the absurdity of everyday normal life, or at least what we think is normal. Nice thread.

Hey, Deckard, did you used to post over at Premiere.com? Just wondering. If so, nice to hear from you again. That site went to hell shortly after you left, and it's nice to see you're still around.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Wasn't American Pie from 1999- if so that is my choice

Then i must say, Wayne's World, Mallrats, and Clerks were pretty funny

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I am having a nervous breakdance
I totally agree on The Big Lebowski. I actually think that it might be my favourite comedy of all time.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by Deckard
BIG LEBOWSKI 9/10
It appears that your rating is missing a point.

DonJuan de la Nooch
I totally agree with The Big Lebowski and Groundhog Day. I have to add in Defending Your Life (1991) and Dogma (1999).

Will I get reported if I disagree? Not that I would, just curious. Big Lebowski funny indeed.

Rock & Roll.

Focker.

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY "STILTMAN
Hey, Deckard, did you used to post over at Premiere.com? Just wondering. If so, nice to hear from you again. That site went to hell shortly after you left, and it's nice to see you're still around.

Hey buddy, I did used to post at Premiere.com but as you said it was all going to **** so I stopped......what was your name there???

I actually couldn't get into Big Lebowski, and it is so weird cause it is really my kind of humor. Groundhog Day was fine for me, but it got a little tedious after awhile. I loved Wonder Boys, but I guess that was 2000. Well, here are some that I think are hilarious.
~LA Story-friggin awesome
~Mrs Doubtfire-yeah, same old, but just great
~Rush Hour-that was pretty funny
~Grumpier Old Men-yeah, I know, I'm a nerd, but I still say it was hilarious
~Austin Powers-the first one
There a lot more of course. Hey, did anyone see Fear of a Black Hat???
~Joanna 5/19/03

i have to say yes Lebowski was pretty funny. but also Father of the Bride, Bowfinger and Amelie

Name's Charly, the spy!
Wayne's World
Dogma
Mallrats
The Big Lebowski
Groundhog Day
There’s something about Mary
Kingpin
City Slickers
Happy Gilmore
Dumb and Dumber
Ace Ventura, Pet Detective

Out of that selection I'd pick Groundhog Day just over Dogma. I only recentl saw The Big Lebowski & while I loved the characters I didn't really like the story....with those characters I would have thought I'd gotten more laughs out of it.

Put me in your pocket...
Favorites for me.....

Bowfinger (1999)
There's Something About Mary (1998)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
The Mask (1994)
What About Bob? (1991)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Addicted to Love (1997)

I haven't seen The Big Lebowski or Kingpin. So many movies to see....

Originally posted by Revenge of Mr M
Personally, the one that sticks in my mind from the last decade is Groundhog DayGroundhog Day with Bill Maurray. Anyone else like that one?
My hubby loved this movie. It's one of the few he would watch over again. I fell asleep. I should watch it again, I do like Bill Murray and Andie McDowell.

the Big Lebowski is one of my favourite films of all time, if not my favourite. However if we're talking about sheer amount of laughs I would have to say that no movie comes even close to Waynes World, which is by far the funniest movie ever made.

Name's Charly, the spy!
Originally posted by Aniko
Favorites for me.....

Addicted to Love (1997)
I liked that movie - it seems to get unfairly bagged......I mean its got Mathew Broderick after all!