Sin City

Tools    

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And depending on the person, dismembering them CAN be quite fun. Messy, but fun. Bring a mop and plenty of tools.
Oh can it ever holden.......can it ever. Buwahahahahaha!

I dont have much to add other then
SIN CITY ROX MY SOX OFF!!1! w00t!

The style was excellent and really lent itself to the film. The casting was really well done. And the violence was nuts! Especially When Hartigan rips that guys nuts off with his barehands!

So yeah, I liked it.

I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been addressed. Does anyone have a theory or any kind of knowledge on the possible meaning of any of the colors? The only colors I noticed were red, blue, green and gold (except for occasional skin tones), and I also noticed that sometimes the blood wasn't in color. The skin tones I noticed were on Goldie (when alive) and on everyone (I think it was everyone) in the strip club. I've only seen this movie once, so I'm probably missing quite a bit. Any insights?

Originally Posted by firegod
I haven't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been addressed. Does anyone have a theory or any kind of knowledge on the possible meaning of any of the colors? The only colors I noticed were red, blue, green and gold (except for occasional skin tones), and I also noticed that sometimes the blood wasn't in color. The skin tones I noticed were on Goldie (when alive) and on everyone (I think it was everyone) in the strip club. I've only seen this movie once, so I'm probably missing quite a bit. Any insights?
Apparently the last act was all in color. I didn't even realize this till my friend told me.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Django
I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but the essence of what I'm trying to say is this: the movie glorifies torture, dismemberment and grotesque violence. It has no plot to speak of, no suspense or character development (as one would expect in good film noir). It's nothing but a mindless sequence of sensationalized acts of grotesque, exaggerated, over-the-top violence.
Hi Djangles. This film is a piece of Frank Miller fiction, if you don't like Miller, you won't like the film. As for what I liked about it:

The writing: The script is awesome, with great dialouge, and well drawn characters, that I found quite well developed. Of course I have read the source material, which is fantastic, so that may have helped.

The acting: Rourke was amazing as Marv, who is just a great character. Willis was perfect as Hardigan, and the rest of the cast performed well.

The Art: the Sin City graphic novels came to life on the screen, right before my eyes. No comic has been translated to the screen with such style and clarity. It was as if the pages just started movig. these guys have really done something amazing.

Of course it's violent, it's Sin City. Of course it contains questionable moral content, it's Sin City. Of course there is nudity, It's friggin Sin City!!! Sin City is about crime, sex, and violence, and if these subjects bother you, just don't watch it.

Also, the whole movie was shot in front of a green or blue screen, so it's completely contrived. It is pseudo-realistic, which is what I find most offensive about it--it pretends to be gritty and realistic, but it is all a massive sham.
A sham? In what way. It follows the source material almost exactly, recreating everything about it almost perfectly. Not a sham in sight anywhere. It never pretends to be realistic at all, in fact it's style flies in the face of reality on all levels. It's drawn from unrealistic surce material, presented in a completely unrealistic way, through completely unrealistic characters (unless you know people who can fall 10 stories, jump through a windshield, get hit in the head with a sledge hammer, shot 50 times, beaten, drowned, cut, beaten again and still get up and walk around and talk). At no point does this film every even try to be realistic, at all.

About the word offensive. I hate this word. Offended? TOUGH ****. Life and society are not here especially for you. It is 100% up to you to live the life you want. Myself, or society in general has absolutely no obligation to not offend people. Anyone has ultimate control over practically everything that happens to them in their life, for the most part. If the film offended you that much, you should have gotten up, walked out of the theater, and left!!! Why didn't you? I wonder this. 10 bucks? surely not worth sitting through hours of violence and poorly created characters, right? So, why didn;t you leave? After the first two or three "offensive acts", your ass should have been 0-60 in 3 seconds out of that theater. But, you stayed.

So, in essence, that's why this movie made me want to throw up when I saw it!
Yet you stayed on for the whole thing anyway!! Great idea!

Here's a funny little piece that appeared in one of the Portland City Papers (The Mercury) last week...

Jessica Alba . . . TAKE OFF YOUR CLOTHES!

If you've seen the new film SIN CITY, then you already know the horrible truth: Jessica Alba, "The Hottest Woman of All Time®", plays a stripper - AND YET DOES NOT APPEAR NAKED.

Simply, this cannot happen again. Please join the Mercury in cutting out the letter below, signing it, and mailing it to: Ms. Jessica Alba, c/o BNC Public Relations, 8687 Melrose Ave., 8th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90069. Please. Let's see Jessica Alba naked. If not in our lifetime, then in our children's lifetime.

Dear Ms. Alba,

How are you? Fine, I hope. I write today to express my utter and profound enjoyment of your performance in SIN CITY, and to say I look forward to seeing you in your upcoming films FANTASTIC FOUR and INTO THE BLUE.
However, as brilliant and luminescent as you were in the role of Nancy Callahan, it is incumbent upon me to point out two facts. FACT ONE: You were playing a stripper. FACT TWO: You were not nude - which, the last time I checked, is something most strippers have in common.

I can only assume your lack of nudeness was due to an ill-advised "no nudity clause" that some shyster lawyer unwisely convinced you to insert into your contracts. While I respect your need to portray roles that occasionally require clothing, please consider that this preposterous clause only accomplishes two things. First: it keeps you from persuing the greatest variety of viable roles fitting your noteworthy and estimable acting talent - many of which insist upon nudity. Second: it keeps me from seeing you naked.

I'm writing to urge you to make up for your unfortunate decision by appearing completely nude in one, or preferably both, of your upcoming films (however, I would grudgingly settle for a side shot of boob or quick flash of ass).

Thank you for your time, keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing you in the future - naked.

Sincerely,

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
About the word offensive. I hate this word. Offended? TOUGH ****. Life and society are not here especially for you. It is 100% up to you to live the life you want. Myself, or society in general has absolutely no obligation to not offend people. Anyone has ultimate control over practically everything that happens to them in their life, for the most part. If the film offended you that much, you should have gotten up, walked out of the theater, and left!!! Why didn't you? I wonder this. 10 bucks? surely not worth sitting through hours of violence and poorly created characters, right? So, why didn;t you leave? After the first two or three "offensive acts", your ass should have been 0-60 in 3 seconds out of that theater. But, you stayed.
Be careful you don't fall under your own words. You have to realize that it was his right to see the movie, enjoy it if we did (or not enjoy it if he didn't), and then write about it to share with others - just like you and I do on these forums. While he may not be illustrating his thoughts as clearly as you might like, at least he's giving his thoughts. Now, be careful that you don't get unknowingly offended by that. It seems like you're upset that he came into the forums expressing his disgust (without explaining why) for a film that you obviously hold in high regard. That's okay, because I enjoyed the film, too - as well as Frank Miller's graphic novels - and I'm disappointed to see that others don't share my appreciation for the film. But you have to agree that this film is certainly not for everyone, and that it's not particularly fair for you to be offended by that. People are different, you know?

Yet you stayed on for the whole thing anyway!! Great idea!
He was giving the film a chance, even though he had already disliked what he saw. I'd say that's pretty admirable. Not to mention, he was probably there with a group, and it would have been rude to get up and leave.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Here's a funny little piece that appeared in one of the Portland City Papers (The Mercury) last week...
That was one brilliant letter... and I haven't even sin Seen City yet.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Would that that were true. Can we hold you to that, Django?
Ah, yes, the infamous "Django". We meet at last.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Ah, yes, the infamous "Django". We meet at last.
i'm lost >.o

What is a Django?

The Adventure Starts Here!
You SO don't want to know the answer to that question. Consider yourself doubly blessed that you were not here when Django was originally making the rounds and also that you to this day don't know who he is.

Around here, he is notoriously infamous ... and generally not all that well respected.

Austruck, Mistress of the Understatement

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by fireyhope
i'm lost >.o

What is a Django?

it's kinda like a Drexal...only not as cool, as well liked or as well acted, lol
- Corey Taylor (2002)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Be careful you don't fall under your own words. You have to realize that it was his right to see the movie, enjoy it if we did (or not enjoy it if he didn't), and then write about it to share with others - just like you and I do on these forums. While he may not be illustrating his thoughts as clearly as you might like, at least he's giving his thoughts. Now, be careful that you don't get unknowingly offended by that. It seems like you're upset that he came into the forums expressing his disgust (without explaining why) for a film that you obviously hold in high regard. That's okay, because I enjoyed the film, too - as well as Frank Miller's graphic novels - and I'm disappointed to see that others don't share my appreciation for the film. But you have to agree that this film is certainly not for everyone, and that it's not particularly fair for you to be offended by that. People are different, you know?

He was giving the film a chance, even though he had already disliked what he saw. I'd say that's pretty admirable. Not to mention, he was probably there with a group, and it would have been rude to get up and leave.

Ya, ya...I know.

I get a little hot headed sometimes.

history *is* moralizing
I get a little hot headed sometimes.
we like you however!

What was this thread about before it was hijacked by Django (much like the Rings and Potter threads were)? Oh yeah...Sin City!

Let's see...what I like about Sin City is...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
what I like about Sin City is...
the hot girls

I don't know how many times this question has come up but does anyone know the name of the song that's on the Sin City trailer? I've found the original track but it seems to have lyrics over it as opposed to the stripped on on the trailer.