Is Donnie Darko a classic?

Tools    

Wondered if you guys agreed with me that it this film is a classic. I consider it one of the 10 best films made between 2000-now. Just a brilliantly made movie that although dark, weird, and complex, carries a deeper meaning. I've always considered the movie a metaphor for teenage depression and loneliness.

Just watched it for about the 6-7th time... it really gets better and better with each viewing.

10/10 film imo.

Interesting...I've never considered it as a classic but in truth haven't seen it since i first watched it when i was a teenager! Time to re-visit i guess. Thanks !

Interesting...I've never considered it as a classic but in truth haven't seen it since i first watched it when i was a teenager! Time to re-visit i guess. Thanks !
I think it's always been a cult classic, and I just so happen to be in that cult lol.

BTW, films like Donnie Darko and Nightcrawler display that few actors can play lonely, disturbed characters as well as Gyllenhaal.

Never been able to finish it.

Never been able to finish it.
I've heard many ppl say this over the years.

I understand it's the type of great film some "get" and it resonates with them, and others don't.

Kind of how I've never be able to "get" Eraserhead, but that's for another topic.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It's good, but I wouldn't call it a classic just yet. If it stands the test of time, then sure.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the human race...
It's 16 years old, how old does it have to be before it's eligible for classic status anyway?

I probably wouldn't call it one anyway.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I liked the movie well enough, but I wouldn't call it a classic. Maybe to its age genre ...maybe. I remember thinking it felt forced when Noah Wyle starts dropping hints. Like the writer knew how to start the story and how it would end, but kinda threw darts at a wall of ideas to bridge the two end caps.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'd call it a classic. I wouldn't wager it's the best of any certain decade, year, or anything like that, simply because I haven't seen every film from each individual year, and I think it'd be dismissive to proclaim it without those other variables taken into account. I really enjoyed the film, however.

I'd say so. If not a standard classic, definitely a cult classic. The movie never really received the respect it deserved when it was released in theatres, but when it was released on DVD it seemed like it's popularity soared. I believe director was only 26 yrs old when he directed it. I love it personally. One of my favorites.

It was a groundbreaking film for me, I saw it when I was 18 and it expressed a lot of what I felt but didn't understand about life at the time. I haven't watched it for several years, but it used to be one of my favorite movies. I still wouldn't call it a classic. I don't think age has anything to do with whether a movie is a classic or not. From what I understand a classic is the pinnacle of achievement in its form, in this case cinema. A prime example of the highest quality. I don't think I could say that Donnie Darko quite achieves that.

I'd say so. If not a standard classic, definitely a cult classic. The movie never really received the respect it deserved when it was released in theatres, but when it was released on DVD it seemed like it's popularity soared. I believe director was only 26 yrs old when he directed it. I love it personally. One of my favorites.
It never sold in theatres because it came out at the worst possible time for its subject matter. A movie centered around a plane crash that comes out VERY SHORTLY after 9/11 isn't gonna be very popular.

If it was made today,it would have met with far more mainstream success.

It's not a 10/10, it's a bit juvenile, but it's definitely a classic.

Not even remotely close to being a classic, it's a cult movie that has a group of followers who often tend to feel strongly about it that's about it.

Yes, in my own opinion it's really classic.
Great story, great music, great details...
It's one of the best movies I have ever seen