Travel bucket lists, memories and more.

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hit me. Anything travel related whether that be international, domestic or discovering your own city

eg when I'm missing Asia I go to ethnic areas in my own city like

Little Hanoi

Chinatown

Hngout in a japanese mart

or

Little Italy

Little istanbul

Middle east without the long haul flights

The Spanish Quarter

Food with movies (I'm hijacking back to movies)

Or read a travel book. Some of my faves - Diarios de motocicleta
Anything by Isabel Allende or Paul Theroux
Suck up the atmosphere and multi cultural festivals. This one is coming up

All welcome to share your love or non love of travel, near death experiences, nightmare toilets, and cats in kitchens.

One to kickstart a new poster who is from Morocco

That's on my bucket list. My dear departed brother spent some time there before going to university. I think he spent the entire time stoned on hash, bless.

Happy Losar. Year of the firebird. Any Tibetans or Nepalis on this forum?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I first went to Europe in 2004, when I was 22.. (Netherlands and Germany -- Amsterdam mostly, New Years). I've been to Europe 5 times, once for almost 5 months, the rest were an average of a few weeks. I went to Australia twice, was there for 6 months, and then again for 3 months.. Asia -- spent a month in Thailand... I've been to Canada and Mexico multiple times, a few road trips around the US (once by bus, once by car, rest on trains and planes).

Grand Palace

Protest in Bangkok

Pink Floyd fan-group before a Roger Waters concert in Toronto, Canada

On a movie set for an international movie contest

Biking around near Kanchanaburi

Playing music, big part of traveling

NYC

Temple of Poseidon in Sounioun, Greece

Very cool , Matt ��

My bro lived in Calgary with his family for while.Loved it.

Very cool , Matt ��

My bro lived in Calgary with his family for while.Loved it.
Very cool.... I wanted to ask you and anyone else who traveled --- what have you learned?

Unregistered User
Travelled a fair bit before kids arrived. Took a while out and went to China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, USA and Canada (Vancouver and Toronto only).

Seriously not a day goes by that I don't think about it, best time.

Travelled a fair bit before kids arrived. Took a while out and went to China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, USA and Canada (Vancouver and Toronto only).

Seriously not a day goes by that I don't think about it, best time.
What years did you travel? In 2004, cell phones weren't that consuming, as opposed to now..

What cities in Thailand and Australia? I was in Bangkok for 9 days, then off to Kanchanaburi for 9 days, Ayuttuyah for 3, and Chiang-Mai for a week... In Australia, I'd say I spent almost 5 months in Melbourne, 2 weeks in Sydney, and then 5 weeks in Bamawm (North Victoria) working on a farm.. Second time, mostly Melbourne, a few weeks in Sydney during the Australian Open (when hostel prices doubled).

It's painful now, knowing that I'll never have those 18 months of care free travelling again. But at the same time I know I did an amazing thing just going round the world and having fun.

Highlights:

Nicest view: Coles bay, Tasmania
Nicest beach: The Mamanucas, Fiji
Best city: Melbourne, Australia
Best activity: Skydiving, Lake Taupo, NZ
Best bit of culture: Angkor What, Cambodia
Friendliest people: Fiji

Very cool.... I wanted to ask you and anyone else who traveled --- what have you learned?
That's a very difficult question and probably requires a tl;dr thesis and a bucket of coffee. My longest trip was 3 years and that was certainly life changing so I doubt I could put it into words.

Probably the easiest answer is it doesnt matter where you go, we're all the same. Regardless of dollars under the mattress, status in the community, language, belief systems, 'strange' clothes we all still care for our loved ones, don't know what tomorrow brings, and get on with things until the inevitable.

Also, the world is a very small place. I cant tell you how many times I've lost contact with someone in one country then run into them a year or so later somewhere else. Such a bizarre experience to rock up to a tiny village somewhere and hear your name.

Just thought of another

Aerolineas Argentinas only has one plane in it's fleet, and it's circa 1970.

I'd love to go to the town they shot Danny Deckchair in.

But I'd never leave.

I havent seen the movie but I have been to Bellingen. Very nice area.

Unregistered User
It's painful now, knowing that I'll never have those 18 months of care free travelling again. But at the same time I know I did an amazing thing just going round the world and having fun.

Highlights:

Nicest view: Coles bay, Tasmania
Nicest beach: The Mamanucas, Fiji
Best city: Melbourne, Australia
Best activity: Skydiving, Lake Taupo, NZ
Best bit of culture: Angkor What, Cambodia
Friendliest people: Fiji

Nice pic. Where was that? What Island Fiji you do? Have to agree, would be hard to find friendlier people. I was at the bar and realised I had left wallet behind, barman gave me the drinks anyway and just told me to pay for them later.

Angkor Wat was a highlight for me too.

Unregistered User
What years did you travel? In 2004, cell phones weren't that consuming, as opposed to now..

What cities in Thailand and Australia? I was in Bangkok for 9 days, then off to Kanchanaburi for 9 days, Ayuttuyah for 3, and Chiang-Mai for a week... In Australia, I'd say I spent almost 5 months in Melbourne, 2 weeks in Sydney, and then 5 weeks in Bamawm (North Victoria) working on a farm.. Second time, mostly Melbourne, a few weeks in Sydney during the Australian Open (when hostel prices doubled).

Travelled in 2009. We didn't bring our phones but did buy one for when we were heading further afield for a length of time. Too many cities to remember really, although in Thailand we stayed in Krabbi for a while and loved it. Went to Bangkok and Chiang mai but not the other two.
In Oz I started in Cairns and worked way down to Sydney stopping at a fair few places. Didn't make Melbourne which was unfortunate.

Travelling days over Matt or still got the bug?

Nice pic. Where was that? What Island Fiji you do? Have to agree, would be hard to find friendlier people. I was at the bar and realised I had left wallet behind, barman gave me the drinks anyway and just told me to pay for them later.

Angkor Wat was a highlight for me too.
We did alot of the yasawas and mamanucas. The best one was one where a tiny sand strip linked 2 islands. It was Waya and Wayasewa. Just spent a few days walking between the 2, swimming, fishing and eating and drinking. Amazing. Also went to Bounty Island, waya lei lei and a few others.. Nacula was a highlight.

Ha. How do you get rid of the bug? I've had mine since we had a family holiday in Queensland when I was 3. I still remember it. The bug is always gnawing away. It's just the long haul flights I don't like.

I have another answer for Matt about what travel taught me. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I had a punch up with someone on imdb about this who said it doesnt exist. I dont think he had ever been out of his home town. It certainly does exist - just depends on which side you are on.

Years ago I cycled around India. Got tricked into going to Kashmir by a kashmiri travel agent in Delhi (the kashmiris were desperate for tourist dollars due to the conflict between India and Pakistan. He told me, my travel companion and 2 english girls the conflict was over, there was no longer a curfew, and the soldiers on both sides were only at the border. Well, to cut a long story short, our bus arrived in Srinagar after the non existent curfew and we had to sneak through the streets to get to our houseboat. Rifle fire and bombs going off was a new experience, lemme tell ya. The lovely people who ran our boat turned out to be pakistani trained militants and the stuff they told us about what was going on was so eye opening. As we were leaving they asked us to smuggle out letters to the UN for them. How can you say no to someone who watched his family shot infront of him.

I think the bug is over, mostly because of money... It's not as fun as it used to be, mostly because of technology... My last two trips were to San Francisco to see and meet Mort Sahl, which is possible in the future if I get some luck with my music/writing.... I found some pics last night, I'll post a few more and would LOVE to see more from all your guys' travels.

Ruins in Ayuuthya (I can never spell it correctly)

Muiderslot in The Netherlands (2009)

Budapest, Hungary

Apeldoorn

Basel, Switzerland

Visiting a friend from previous travels in Cologne, Germany (Dom Cathedral)

Naar Amsterdam.. Zaans-Chans (windmills and fresh cheese being made, and clogs)

Aegina Island

I must say, the selfy stick kinda dampens the bug a bit. I dont want those damn things in my line of vision when taking travel photos.