Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

[quote=MijaFrost;1975236]The Conformist (1970)

This one had the potential to be a masterpiece. It has a fabulous score, an intriguing script with subtle suspense, and is beautifully shot, but it falls short, maybe because the protagonist has such a cold and even sociopathic personality. He seems like an automaton going through the motions of what he thinks he should do, without possessing any real values or ideals of his own - and so he is only too ready to throw people under the bus, disregarding any emotional ties they have to him or others.

"and so he is only too ready to throw people under the bus, disregarding any emotional ties they have to him or others."

Yes! He is a little *****, that's the point, always wants to be on the winning, safe or "conforming" side. Hence his reactions at the end of the film.

I wish more had been made of his family history, I felt that Bertolucci may have mined that more. Great film though.

The Devil Rides Out (1968)

Great Hammer Horror occult film that trades on subtlety and atmosphere rather than shocks. Christopher Lee great as the Duc de Richleau in, what i believe, was one of his favourite roles. It chunters along at a fair pace and keeps the viewer engaged throughout. Its hammer but plotted well (more than most) and a really good watch, 8/10.

This might just do nobody any good.
The Christmas Chronicles -

A movie where Kurt Russell is stuck in a major American city and only has a few hours to complete a vitally important mission? Sounds stupid.
“Call me Kringle.”

Friday the 13th (2009)

-

I'm a fan of Jason as a character, but I'm not especially a fan of any of the movies in the series. For me, this was as good as any of them. I don't watch these movies for the stories or for the acting, I watch them for the goods. I thought this movie delivered well enough and the first 25 minutes were fantastic.

Happy Christmas (Joe Swanberg, 2014)

Bah humbug!

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Best one since “Empire”.

Spiderman is one of the least interesting heroes out there, but I'm dying to see this. Cue the Biggie.

Train to Busan (2016)

I loved the premise of people being stuck on a train during a zombie outbreak. It's exciting with strong characters. What keeps it from being a favorite is that it's a little tame. The most disturbing aspect is how the unaffected turn on each other for self-preservation. An American remake is planned, and I will be interested. With any luck, it'll be a little more nasty.

Halloween (2018)

When did Michael Myers get so into arts and crafts?

https://www.cbr.com/halloween-2018-m...istic-murders/

There can never be too many Halloween movies IMO, they can mess with the story as much as they want, I love to see each different incarnation of Michael.. and making him more woke in this one was okay by me.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Weird is relative.

Yes! He is a little *****, that's the point, always wants to be on the winning, safe or "conforming" side. Hence his reactions at the end of the film.

I wish more had been made of his family history, I felt that Bertolucci may have mined that more. Great film though.

I felt so terrible for the man who had thought of him as a friend. He (the friend) was so helpless... I probably would have rated the film higher if it wasn't for that and what happened to the woman before as well.

There are some films about sociopaths that are quite good, and even when they betray people it still works with the story as a whole, because either we could have seen it coming, or it felt like some kind of redemptive twist, or furthered the plot to show how brutal the person was when they were going for what they wanted, but this wasn't really any of those. Simply cowardice, like you say. A corporate spy drone.

SPLIT (2016) M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN
SPOILERS ALERT

The industry created superheros to fulfill a market demand, and that demand was emotional. They've made all sorts of superheros, but this one was specially thought for the perspective I believe most people have of our current society, that is a more weirder, sicker and horrifying place every day that passes. This superhero was made for that perspective but especially for those who've experienced abuses. This is a movie about a multiple personality disorder "thing", is not a person because it can be a beast, is not a individual because he have 24 different identities on the same body/mind, I think the right personification could be something that can experience various egos. This double identities were created as a gateway to escape the trama of his childhood years and the constant abuses. The beast, the strongest of all the alter-egos is awaken to show to the impures, those who've never suffered from abuses, how perfect those who've suffered are. Really honestly, if you see this script and the movie point from a distance is a pure comedy, but overall is very fun movie to watch. The main actor made a fine performance as you might guess for someone that have to play so many different identities, when he plays a more, lets say feminine persona (Patricia) is really something special. I've always liked James McAvoy and now I have another reason to. I'll watch Mr. Glass for sure.

Baskin (2015)

-

I thought this had a lot of promise before turning into an incoherent mess of a Hellraiser rip-off. Every scene in the movie has very dark lighting, which I liked, and it does have strong tension and gore.
Strangely enough I liked it quite a bit more than you. I don't usually dig these "incoherent messes" but this is probably the best of the lot. And wow, they made such great looking film for $350k