Is Movie Forums DYING?

Tools    

I'm not talking about people who might actually be affected by policy changes. I'm talking about people (again, at both ends of the spectrum) who are just angry and pissed and are posting fake news bits because they support their anger. People who literally post outraged, ridiculous Facebook posts sometimes a half dozen times in a single day. People who were NOT doing this before 2016's election. People whose daily lives aren't really all that different post-election. But now it's all vitriol and offense and everyone is suspect who doesn't think like them on political issues.

I've been on Facebook for a decade. It was never like this before. And I know many of these people personally -- enough to know this is just emotional overreacting and knee-jerk anger at people who don't agree with them about politics. Folks who never used to jump on bandwagons are hopping on for the ride now.

It's ridiculous and it doesn't solve anything. And it's not even making them feel better. It's the ugly side to "social media," and it's liable to be its downfall.
It's just not social media, it's the mainstream media. They are not even pretending to have any degree of objectivity these days and are full-on biased and hysterical to the nth degree.

I remember you from the food thread very well. My problem with you is that we don’t know anything about you & your profile tells us nothing. Took me a while to figure out you’re female & I think you’re Vietnamese. But as to where you live I have no clue. Is that Finnish writing in your profile? Tell us about yourself or play some of the games with us. The photo games are fun.
@Elessar, just realized that your name & the quote are from LOTR.

I remember you from the food thread very well. My problem with you is that we don’t know anything about you & your profile tells us nothing.
Thank you for pointing it out.
You see, I actually thought that my profile revealed many things about me: nickname Elessar, aka Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. Avatar the White Tree of Gondor, also from Lord of the Rings. Signature is a lyrics from Lord of the Rings, in Elvish language, which translates to:

Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come.
In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world

And that is a part of my life. I watch the trilogy every now and then, to dream about an alliance between Elves and Men. I spent time translating the Lord of the Rings novel into Vietnamese. There's something very gentle and kind in Tolkien's writing that soothes the soul: the man has fought in the 1st World War and lived through the Second one, he knew about peace and home and friendship.

If you talk with me I wouldn't hide anything.
Other than that, my avatar and internet profile is often discreet , because:

- I'm a discreet person
- Once there was a freak on internet who found out about my real identity and tried to blackmail me. Nothing dangerous, just some spiritual blackmail, but it caused me a nightmare.

I would have participated in the (photo) game if I was able to find the answer to anything.

Edit: there you said it Sorry didn't see your post when I wrote mine.

@Elessar, you wrote 7 paragraphs, but I still know nothing about you. That’s okay - I’m private too.

Hang in there, I'm not being private, I just haven't got to type the 77th paragraph yet where I would start giving real, relevant information of myself That's hobbit talks: always much of gibberish.

Thanks for the grammar correcting.

Nothing wrong with privacy, I'm big on it myself. There's not much point in forums if you're not willing to at least reveal tastes and preferences though!

Nothing wrong with privacy, I'm big on it myself. There's not much point in forums if you're not willing to at least reveal tastes and preferences though!
I'm big on privacy too. But I'm always happy to talk to anyone.

You ready? You look ready.
I like movies.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I highly doubt that is true. Speak to us & we’ll speak to you. The only interaction I’ve had with you is receiving a PM from you inquiring as to my gender since you were confused by it. Or words to that effect, which didn’t exactly invite a fun convo.
Oh, it's true. Believe me, I have my own people I chat with more often than with anyone else.

Swan, Cricket, Citizen Rules, Derek Vinyard, Mr. Minio, Neiba, MovieMeditation and even one-time Sexy Celebrity and I talked a lot in private or played around in threads.

They are personalities I tend to gravitate to or who accepted me when I first started.

There are a few I have chatted with in private but not as much as the ones mentioned above.

(sorry if I missed anyone) :/

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This rascal Mr PERIOD Minio again. Well, at least it's not Mr. Minion.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Now I would think "Mr. Minion ! " whenever I see your avatar

Welcome to the human race...
I'm not talking about people who might actually be affected by policy changes. I'm talking about people (again, at both ends of the spectrum) who are just angry and pissed and are posting fake news bits because they support their anger. People who literally post outraged, ridiculous Facebook posts sometimes a half dozen times in a single day. People who were NOT doing this before 2016's election. People whose daily lives aren't really all that different post-election. But now it's all vitriol and offense and everyone is suspect who doesn't think like them on political issues.

I've been on Facebook for a decade. It was never like this before. And I know many of these people personally -- enough to know this is just emotional overreacting and knee-jerk anger at people who don't agree with them about politics. Folks who never used to jump on bandwagons are hopping on for the ride now.

It's ridiculous and it doesn't solve anything. And it's not even making them feel better. It's the ugly side to "social media," and it's liable to be its downfall.
That's fair. I never had much use for Facebook anyway so I guess I only ever really hear about how truly trashy it is from second-hand accounts.

Agreed with your post. I see social media as both good and bad, and often at the extremities.

I bet SJW's have a conundrum...do they applaud social media as an avenue to vent? Or do they condemn it as a venue for venting?
It can be two things.

This rascal Mr PERIOD Minio again. Well, at least it's not Mr. Minion.
If I type you're a Minion...it's because of autocorrect on my phone.

But secretly you could be one..aka Bob.

Please Iro, do tell us what all this discussion is about considering Movieforums isn't dying and what people are now talking about isn't even related to that.

The thread was meant ironically, but the irony was lost. I hope I'm wrong.