Which iconic film trilogy is the best overall?

Tools    

Which trilogy?
18.92%
7 votes
Star Wars
10.81%
4 votes
The Godfather
35.14%
13 votes
The Lord of the Rings
16.22%
6 votes
The Dark Knight
5.41%
2 votes
Bourne
18.92%
7 votes
Dollars
2.70%
1 votes
Toy Story
37 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Edit: P.S. "A guy with a cool voice and armor and the ability and will to kill you light years away for any perceived failure by using The Force, basically a power of telekinesis, in order to crush your windpipe". There, I fixed it for you.
What kind of silly argument is this: "my anime villain is the best, he can blow planets".

Darth Vader has an iconic design and voice, that's it, the character itself is nothing special, just popular.
I actually thought Palpatine was more interesting. Too bad he died the stupidest death ever.

I actually thought Palpatine was more interesting. Too bad he died the stupidest death ever.
While i don't think he is interesting either, he seems evil for the sake of being evil, at least he has more personality than Vader. You can't demand too much from Star Wars tho, the characters are the epitome of black and white with zero depth.

What kind of silly argument is this: "my anime villain is the best, he can blow planets".

Darth Vader has an iconic design and voice, that's it, the character itself is nothing special, just popular.

You tried to minimize why Darth Vader was scary. He was not just somebody who looked cool and had a great voice. He was also an evil wielder of The Force and he was willing to kill anybody and everybody in order to stamp out The Rebellion. And he could kill you just by looking at you. He was ruthless, he was brutal, he was tyrannical and he was very, very cold. You tried to brush him off with a quip, but the quip way, way undersold him. I just wanted to point that out.

Star Wars
I'd say Star Wars. Each of the movies are solid quality fliks and both sequels are meaningful follow-ups to the movie before.

The Lord of the Rings
The problem with LOTR is that it goes overlong, especially if you watch the extended cut. So much of the over-arching dilemma of destroying the One Ring gets lost among sidequests like defeating Shelob, Saruman, this siege or that. Were it representative of the content of a video game, I'd have no complaints, but as a series of movies stringing together a coherent plot, there's way too many flashbacks to Rivendell.

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight was unquestionably the best of the three movies, and while I'd also contend that the second movie in Star Wars is my favorite, the consistency in DK is all over the place. Batman Begins starts off way too slow, not even Liam Neeson can make me remember his characters' name (Raws-Al-Ghoul?) and the whole training to become a ninja thing always felt goofy. The Scarecrow isn't a bad villain, but he fills way too little space in the movie, unlike Joker. On the flipside, Bane is in way too much of Dark Knight Rises, he doesn't resemble his comicbook counterpart at all and feels like a ludicrously over-inflated sideshow in contrast to Joker. The movie just overall was... crummy. Easily the worst I've seen of Nolan's, and after you've already whipped out your arch-enemy in the second movie and layered it over with so much symbolism, a plothole-ridden sub-par adaptation of the villain-of-the-week just doesn't cut it.

Considering how the first movie gives us our origin story, the second movie sets up the third by portraying Batman as the public enemy of Gotham, a truly effective third movie could have been one in which, instead of crippling Batman in a hole for the majority of the movie so you can cram in some stupid "Rise" gimmick, actually have him face-off against an ensemble of classic enemies he's accrued over the years as he struggles not to break his one rule and actually become the enemy of Gotham he's only pretending to be. It would be centrally focused on the character of Batman, it wouldn't get lost in a villain-of-the-week format, and it would meaningfully have resolved the dilemmas brought out over the first two movies.

Toy Story
Toy Story, even more than Star Wars, was not meant to have a sequel, and even Toy Story 3, as others have pointed out, is little more than a reskin of Toy Story 2. It's the same beloved characters getting up to the same old hijinks, but there's no pertinent narrative evolution between them, Andy's just not that important to the story.

Bourne

While the Bourne movies do have an over-arching plot, they're so frequently buried beneath their non-stop generic action scenes that they all begin to blur together very quickly, which is a very poor position to be in when considering the quality of a set of movies as an "iconic" trilogy.

The Godfather
Dollars
I've not watched all of these.

Surprised Back to the Future didn't make it on here. If it had, I'd have faulted it for it's black sheep third movie, which breaks from the formula far too heavily to comfortably gel with the other two movies.

“I was cured, all right!”
The Lord of the Rings and The Godfather for me.
TLotR - I read the book a few years ago. At all times I was amazed at how happy Jackson was in transposing the story into the film. A great adaptation.
The Godfather - I actually like all the three movies. The third one, of course, it's not so great as the other ones, but still a good ending for the Corleone saga imo.

Didn't voted for the Dollars trilogy, I like all of them, but the first two movies are just remakes, the third one, yeah that's a hell of a movie!

You tried to minimize why Darth Vader was scary. He was not just somebody who looked cool and had a great voice. He was also an evil wielder of The Force and he was willing to kill anybody and everybody in order to stamp out The Rebellion. And he could kill you just by looking at you. He was ruthless, he was brutal, he was tyrannical and he was very, very cold. You tried to brush him off with a quip, but the quip way, way undersold him. I just wanted to point that out.
No man, i'm saying he is an underdeveloped character with no depth, he is just bland.

While i don't think he is interesting either, he seems evil for the sake of being evil, at least he has more personality than Vader. You can't demand too much from Star Wars tho, the characters are the epitome of black and white with zero depth.
Well by interesting I meant his personality. Both characters have great screen presence as villains but yeah they dont have depth but I guess in this kind of series they dont screen presence is more important but I do think they suffer due to the writing.

No man, i'm saying he is an underdeveloped character with no depth, he is just bland.
The Joker in The Dark Knight is an underdeveloped character with no depth arguably more so than Vader. Vader actually has a backstory and (minimal) character developement. Both thrive on charisma/screen presence rather than depth.

My Top Ten Trilogies would likely be

1. The Living Dead (Night/Dawn/Day)
2. Back to the Future
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Star Wars
5. Indiana Jones
6. Before Series
7. The Dark Knight
8. Captain America
9. Toy Story
10. Creature From the Black Lagoon

I haven't seen Godfather III or all The Dollars films yet so I don't think I would rank them. How to Train Your Dragon should crack my top five as 1 and 2 are very strong and if they close strong it could finish at 2 or 3.

My Top Ten Trilogies would likely be

1. The Living Dead (Night/Dawn/Day)
2. Back to the Future
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Star Wars
5. Indiana Jones
6. Before Series
7. The Dark Knight
8. Captain America
9. Toy Story
10. Creature From the Black Lagoon

I haven't seen Godfather III or all The Dollars films yet so I don't think I would rank them. How to Train Your Dragon should crack my top five as 1 and 2 are very strong and if they close strong it could finish at 2 or 3.
Day of the dead is an underrated horror masterpiece. Some of the best gore period!

I'm going for The Lord of the Rings. I think it's the most consistent.