Cole's Film Log

→ in
Tools    

I have to return some videotapes.

#8 - Hard Eight (1996)

This somewhat disappointed me as my 3rd PTA movie, but as a debut feature film it is still a very solid. You can see that Anderson has great storytelling ability and direction. The story is pretty straightforward (and a bit boring), but it is carried by the performances of Phillip Baker Hall and John C Reilly. Along with the performances, the 100 minute run-time makes it at least a watchable, yet forgettable movie.

Agree with you 100% on Hard Eight, Cole. The subject matter was of great interest to me, but I was disappointed. It was ok.
I was really hoping for it to be something that would stick with me days after I saw it like the first two PTA films I saw (PDL and Boogie Nights). It didn't leave any impact on me once the credits rolled.

Yeah, Hard Eight is okay but nothing amazing or anything.

Whether you will like like the film or not, Magnolia has a little more to offer, I can promise you that.

Yeah, Hard Eight is certainly PTAs weakest. I still like it nothing special though. Only seen it once so i want to rewatch it at some point, but i really have to rewatch Boogie Nights and Inherent Vice first.

Im glad im not the only one with the same thoughts! Magnolia should be next.. Ill try watching it tonight

#9 - Jarhead (2005)

I never really bothered with any of Sam Mendes' films outside of American Beauty, but I wish I would have earlier. He really is a phenomenal director, and now I want to see Road to Perdition. If the producers took Mendes and Gyllenhaal off the project this could have gone very poorly because they definitely carry the film heavily with their amazing work. It's very different from many war movies i've seen because this is mostly a character study that delves more into the psychological effects of war and seems pretty accurate considering an actual Marine wrote the book. Definitely check this out if you are into war movies!

Also, Deakins should have been nominated for best cinematography because some of this stuff is just beautiful. I'm sad to see this didn't get any recognition from pretty much anywhere.

-

I also thought that Jarhead was a very underrated war flick. Thought it was very entertaining and loved Gyllenhaal's performance in it.

It's one of those films I've never gotten around to seeing. I had no real interest in it when it came out, but as the years have past, it's become something I think I might like now.

#10 - Basic Instinct (1992)

Sharon Stone was stunning in this... my god. As for the movie, it was hot but ultimately disappointing because of my really high expectations. Michael Douglas' character was pretty dumb.. but it's no big deal. He found love!

Sorry I don't have that much to say about the film... it really is a forgettable thriller sadly.

Basic Instinct

Sharon Stone was stunning in this... my god.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jeanne Tripplehorn stole it .

#11 - Magnolia (1999)

That three hour run-time flew by quicker than many two hour movies I see. Magnolia, along with PTA obviously, has something to say and it gets the message across perfectly. Regret, forgiveness, and family. I can't pick out many technical flaws as the acting, editing, score, and camerawork was superb but some thing just didn't click with me. One example would be John C. Reilly's character / story arc. It just bugged me for some reason and I can't exactly pinpoint why. Other than that, the other stories it told were great and it kept me thoroughly entertained. It is once again a well done movie by PTA who is becoming one of my favorite modern directors. Next up to watch is hopefully Inherent Vice or There Will Be Blood.

Finally!

The John C. Reilly storyline will grow on you on revisits, as will the whole movie I bet. That's how it usually is with PTA.

Glad you liked it, Cole.

I'm glad you didn't flame me over me not completely falling in love with it Meds!

Thanks Swan, glad someone agrees.