Rosemary's Baby: Novel vs Film

Tools    

I have a copy of the novel and film Rosemary's Baby and haven't read/watched either. Since I've seen so many bad novel adaptations I was going to read the novel first but after reading how good a film this is I'm unsure. Which do you think I should read/watch first ?

Semper Fooey
The movie is the book, one of the most faithful adaptations I ever read. I read the book before seeing the movie and, quite frankly, if I had to do it over, I wouldn't have bothered to have read the book. The only difference is condensng, streamlining of some scenes, but the dialogue is right out of the book. I've read final screenplays that differed more from the movie.

By the way, the movie is very good. but it's not a straight horror film. If you don't like the movie, you won't like the book.

Tough one... I almost think I would watch the movie... then read the book... then watch the movie again... and again...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Happy New Year from Philly!
The film has beautiful, fragile looking Mia Farrow, giving great dread, horror and helplessness, Ruth Gordon the queen of outrageous comic relief as the seemingly harmless old busybody, Sidney Blackmer, who is an old hand at melodrama with a wonderful voice, as the handsome and intense old geezer/warlock, and John Cassavetes who is so hungry for success that we never question why he would believe these two old farts could help him in his career through the agency of black magic. anyone else might have larded the character with smarm but Cassavetes is honestly hungry and ruthless. All of this plus the one of the great artists of paranoia Roman Polanski and the Dakota.

The pretty and creepy theme to Rosemary's Baby sung by Mia Farrow.
&feature=related

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Damn, another movie that I just don't understand the hype of. This was downright not good to me, on nearly every aspect. The story started of very interesting and then lulled itself.

Semper Fooey
That's why they will never remake it, at least not faithfully. It's old style horror, even out of date when the movie was made. You don't see any horror, it's all implied.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's certainly one of the greatest horror films, or films for that matter, ever made; at least as good as the best Hitchcock flick.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's certainly one of the greatest horror films, or films for that matter, ever made; at least as good as the best Hitchcock flick.
highly debatable, to each his own.

I'm not a fan of this either, but I have to say that when I watched it again last year (or was it the year before?) I liked it a lot more than I did before. I completely understand why people find it boring and/or uninvolving, though.

I have a copy of the novel and film Rosemary's Baby and haven't read/watched either. Since I've seen so many bad novel adaptations I was going to read the novel first but after reading how good a film this is I'm unsure. Which do you think I should read/watch first ?
It doesn't matter, really. I read the novel Rosemary's Baby prior to seeing the film on TV, however, and liked the book a good deal better.