MAC or PC ?

Tools    

I agree with that, but I think its only because PCs have been around longer. Mac's are in someways limited in there versatility but I'd say Windows is a lesser OS next to Leopard.
I'd say its a pretty reasonable guess that in time Mac's will become just as versatile as PC's. If Vista is anything to go by Windows is getting worse.

So: a MAC is not a PC.......hmmmmmmmm whose it it then????

PC - always. Id probably try a Mac if it was given to me, and then reluctantly. I used them in school when the PCs were down and always hated them with a passion. It makes absolutely no sense for them to be so ...... neanderthal when it comes to compatibility. I understand they are protecting their market and their development, and I do realize that theyve grown exponentially on the compatibilty front (compared to where they were years ago), but they still have a long way to go.

Here's a benchmark for me: Mac users are the true geeks, or the true geek wannabes. Ive never understood the elitism until I started designing/editing my own stuff.

To date though, I can admit that in my search for programs that meet my video and audio editing needs, Mac is head and shoulders above the competition. I weep, I literally almost weep after I spend hours upon hours searching for that perfect program that gives me the EXACT feature I want - only to discover its MAC ONLY. That's about the time I devolve into fantasies about bashing Microsofts head in, and go install Linux on another computer in my house to make me feel better.

After playing with Linux and calming myself down, I always end up back at the PC. Why? Because I happen upon some random utility of simply written open source program that gives the PC a Mac-like feature that I need, and justifies sticking with PC a little longer.

Plus, at base, Im a gamer.

PC - always. Id probably try a Mac if it was given to me, and then reluctantly. I used them in school when the PCs were down and always hated them with a passion. It makes absolutely no sense for them to be so ...... neanderthal when it comes to compatibility. I understand they are protecting their market and their development, and I do realize that theyve grown exponentially on the compatibilty front (compared to where they were years ago), but they still have a long way to go.

Here's a benchmark for me: Mac users are the true geeks, or the true geek wannabes. Ive never understood the elitism until I started designing/editing my own stuff.

To date though, I can admit that in my search for programs that meet my video and audio editing needs, Mac is head and shoulders above the competition. I weep, I literally almost weep after I spend hours upon hours searching for that perfect program that gives me the EXACT feature I want - only to discover its MAC ONLY. That's about the time I devolve into fantasies about bashing Microsofts head in, and go install Linux on another computer in my house to make me feel better.

After playing with Linux and calming myself down, I always end up back at the PC. Why? Because I happen upon some random utility of simply written open source program that gives the PC a Mac-like feature that I need, and justifies sticking with PC a little longer.

Plus, at base, Im a gamer.
A female gamer, there arent enough of them. What do you play ?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
PC - Everyday user
MAC - Cool Kids
Linux - Geeks

One of my teachers told me that. I agree with it.

Suspect's Reviews

A female gamer, there arent enough of them. What do you play ?
really good question, and I know we have a Videogame Thread around here, but we dont really have a Videogame COLLECTION thread. Itd be interesting to see who has more of what. Me? Mostly FPS, though nowhere near as hardcore as say....Tacitus and Co in the gaming thread, or the other girls I know that seriously game. Here's a rundown of the games I can put my hand on while I'm typing:

- All Resident Evil games (im so easy to please)
- All Medal of Honor games
- All Splinter Cell
- Assassins Creed
- Stalker: Clear Sky
- DeadSpace
- Overclocked (and its ilk)
- Sims/SimCity
- All Age of Emperors games
- Mafia
- Thief (deadly shadows only so far)
- All Hitman Games
- GTA Vice City
- Max Payne 1/2
- Devil May Cry
- Myst Games
- Conflict Desert Storm I/II
- Tomb Raider
- Enter the Matrix
- Tekken 4/5
- Marvel: Rise of the Imperfects
- John Madden Football - any year (though I constantly get served in this game)
- Risk II (Ive networked my entire house so anyone can play it via comp - love this game!!)
- various sports games that I rarely play.
- various laid back games like (Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune Mah Jong, etc.)

Games I could never get into, but that I've always wondered about: Halo, COD, Warhammer, etc.

I prefer consoling gaming for basic games, PC gaming for your more atmospheric and sinister games. Plus, with the PC you can mod the games and .....er......well, use better cheat codes, or expand the play beyond the OTC intent. Having said that - I've never reached the online gamer status - the few times I've played over a simple network I always gotten my rear handed to me in EVERY GAME. It kind of reminds me of a certain Las Vegas episode where the valet's friend was a Top 5 online poker player, because he was very good at beating the computer/machinistic odds. Real people, however were tougher to beat. Same for me - decision making of real folks throws me for a loop on occasion.

but yes - you can get an extreme PC that allows for a better gaming experience. Macs, not so much.

- All Resident Evil games (im so easy to please)
- All Medal of Honor games
- All Splinter Cell
- Assassins Creed
- Stalker: Clear Sky
- DeadSpace
- Overclocked (and its ilk)
- Sims/SimCity
- All Age of Emperors games
- Mafia
- Thief (deadly shadows only so far)
- All Hitman Games
- GTA Vice City
- Max Payne 1/2
- Devil May Cry
- Myst Games
- Conflict Desert Storm I/II
- Tomb Raider
- Enter the Matrix
- Tekken 4/5
- Marvel: Rise of the Imperfects
- John Madden Football - any year (though I constantly get served in this game)
- Risk II (Ive networked my entire house so anyone can play it via comp - love this game!!)
- various sports games that I rarely play.
- various laid back games like (Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune Mah Jong, etc.)
That's a pretty decent list. I have to ask since you play Medal of Honor why no Call Of Duty ?

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

Linux all the way now. I do love mac, and I'm getting an iphone in month which am counting the days for. But for all home computer use its linux baby. Go Ubuntu! I love open source. The best things in life are free.

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

The quote of the decade as far as gamming goes.
it just occurred to me that there could be a double meaning in your reaction to that statement, given my username. slow tonight, i am.

That's a pretty decent list. I have to ask since you play Medal of Honor why no Call Of Duty ?
You know not all games are considered equal, and when MOH was at its height, an awful lot of WWI/II war games came out. I made the mistake of buying like 2 of them and they were AWFUL. So I remained skeptical despite the feeding frenzy over the game. Couple that with my longstanding and perverse desire to always do the exact opposite of what "everyone else" is doing: and wa-pow! you got me - not playing COD.

In truth it always struck me as a multiplayer game. I knew guys that played that SOCOM game online, and I imagine COD is more like that than like your FPS MOH game. I did enjoy Conflict: Desert Storm multiplayer, but then, you were always on the same team, and you didnt need to be online. Much more basic IMO.

God. Reading that makes me realize that I sound like some curmudgeonly old person who refuses to change from the "the good ole days." Oh wait. That IS me. eeeeeh. Might have to pick that game up just because of that. CAN COD be played single player?

Linux all the way now. I do love mac, and I'm getting an iphone in month which am counting the days for. But for all home computer use its linux baby. Go Ubuntu! I love open source. The best things in life are free.
see, i knew there was a reason i liked you! ever since I used a Linux disk to recover ALL my data on a dead Windows HDD, i've had nothing but respect for it - and a whole bucketload of fear. That last because i became the clearinghouse for recovering all my friends dead computers. Terrifying what you can retrieve from a dead HDD. Utterly terrifying - i will never giveaway a computer with my same HDD on it again.

the problem for me with using Linux is pure laziness on my part. To really get the maximum out of it you almost seem to need to learn command line, and Im not ready to give up my pretty GUI.

So here's my current home project conception problem: I have absolutely NO idea what Im doing, but Im planning on building a gargantuan Linux Home Server. I built a very basic miniversion from an old Windows 98 machine and got it up and running just to prove to myself I could. However, the server I dream of would be able to do EVERYTHING from file storage to hosting my various webpages, etc. By the time I get done considering LAMP and every other remote addon, I end up so frustrated that I come full circle back to Windows Home Server. Someone talk me out of it.

also - is OpenOffice all its cracked up to be?

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
see, i knew there was a reason i liked you! ever since I used a Linux disk to recover ALL my data on a dead Windows HDD, i've had nothing but respect for it - and a whole bucketload of fear. That last because i became the clearinghouse for recovering all my friends dead computers. Terrifying what you can retrieve from a dead HDD. Utterly terrifying - i will never giveaway a computer with my same HDD on it again.

the problem for me with using Linux is pure laziness on my part. To really get the maximum out of it you almost seem to need to learn command line, and Im not ready to give up my pretty GUI.

So here's my current home project conception problem: I have absolutely NO idea what Im doing, but Im planning on building a gargantuan Linux Home Server. I built a very basic miniversion from an old Windows 98 machine and got it up and running just to prove to myself I could. However, the server I dream of would be able to do EVERYTHING from file storage to hosting my various webpages, etc. By the time I get done considering LAMP and every other remote addon, I end up so frustrated that I come full circle back to Windows Home Server. Someone talk me out of it.

also - is OpenOffice all its cracked up to be?
Oh I like you too!

Ok heres my two bits.

OpenOffice is good if you're creating the files. Its compatibility with windows files isn't as good as it can be. If you're continually dealing with other windows docs it can be frustrating.

A linux server will do everything a a windows home server does. The kind of tasks you are taking about about are pretty simple, so it seems a shame to spend money on a windows server to do it.
If your planning on integrating your server with a media centre entertainment centre then windows server might be worth considering, but if its just for the tasks you mentioned I recommend Ubuntu server, its really easy.

LAMP is a web server and theres really no point having it as a home server. Ubuntu is much simpler and more suited for your needs.

peace out *grin*

pc for coding and stuff, mac for design

You know not all games are considered equal, and when MOH was at its height, an awful lot of WWI/II war games came out. I made the mistake of buying like 2 of them and they were AWFUL. So I remained skeptical despite the feeding frenzy over the game. Couple that with my longstanding and perverse desire to always do the exact opposite of what "everyone else" is doing: and wa-pow! you got me - not playing COD.

In truth it always struck me as a multiplayer game. I knew guys that played that SOCOM game online, and I imagine COD is more like that than like your FPS MOH game. I did enjoy Conflict: Desert Storm multiplayer, but then, you were always on the same team, and you didnt need to be online. Much more basic IMO.

God. Reading that makes me realize that I sound like some curmudgeonly old person who refuses to change from the "the good ole days." Oh wait. That IS me. eeeeeh. Might have to pick that game up just because of that. CAN COD be played single player?

Yes, all the COD's have great single player campaigns. COD is so much better then MOH. Get out there and buy Modern Warfare or World at War, one of the best FPS's around.