Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!

[font=Century Gothic]
Best to leave the lid closed on this jewelry box.
This makes me curious.

The ending, as convoluted as it is, was good. Other than that, I was checking the phone under my coat waiting for it to end.
I've seen some other comments in here that got my interest as well, concerning the gore. I didnt realise this was going to be so full in your face torturie (if that's a word)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
This makes me curious.
The ending, as convoluted as it is, was good. Other than that, I was checking the phone under my coat waiting for it to end. As much as I indulge absurdity, I guess it has to be entertaining to work. When it is "dry", it really leaves me too much time to think about what is happening.

I've seen some other comments in here that got my interest as well, concerning the gore. I didnt realise this was going to be so full in your face torturie (if that's a word)

I'm sure this will be a reflection of my desensitized nature, but I wasn't shocked by anything. There are the rape and "wound" scenes, but nothing super graphic or gratuitous. All the reviews made it sound like an Eli Roth movie with a 5 minute 1-shot of sexual abuse.

A scene with a box truck was the most disturbing.

I'm sure this will be a reflection of my desensitized nature, but I wasn't shocked by anything. There are the rape and "wound" scenes, but super graphic or gratuitous. All the reviews made it sound like an Eli Roth movie with a 5 minute 1-shot of sexual abuse.

A scene with a box truck was the most disturbing.
OK thank you, DD.
Yeah I sort of couldnt imagine Jen Being up for a slicing of the skin down the spine while hanging over a grubby bath tub or anything like that.

How is her accent?

OK thank you, DD.
Yeah I sort of couldnt imagine Jen Being up for a slicing of the skin down the spine while hanging over a grubby bath tub or anything like that.

How is her accent?

I only noticed one time that she lost it, during an "interrogation" scene. It is always absurd for me when foreign people, speak english in their native accent in their homeland. Movies.

Das Leben der Anderen [The Lives Of Others] (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)
+
The loneliness of the long-distance audience

I only noticed one time that she lost it, during an "interrogation" scene. It is always absurd for me when foreign people, speak english in their native accent in their homeland. Movies.
Yes I see what you mean. Actually I haven't seen the film but I believe Daniel Craig didn't affect a Swedish accent in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo while everyone else did. That would do my head in.

This is topical for me as I've just been watching Mike Leigh's film Career Girls again. When I first saw it in the Nineties I had no idea that Lynda Steadman was from Belfast. She does a brilliant Wakefield accent and this time there was just one line where I thought I could hear her own accent breaking through. But without knowing where she was from I probably wouldn't have detected that twang in her voice.

Thanks.

I've just got an interest in accents and find them fascinating. I cant do them, by the way. I just like my ear getting tugged. Cant stand anyone doing my own country's accent though, and laugh silently when an alien says they're really good at it.

En Prophet (2009)

Great movie. I was really impressed by the pace and story. 9.5/10

Thanks.

I've just got an interest in accents and find them fascinating. I cant do them, by the way. I just like my ear getting tugged. Cant stand anyone doing my own country's accent though, and laugh silently when an alien says they're really good at it.

When we meet one day , you're gonna love mine.

When we meet one day , you're gonna love mine.
What is it? I'm guessing a mix. I dont even know your place of origin or where you now live.

I've just got an interest in accents and find them fascinating. I cant do them, by the way. I just like my ear getting tugged.
I remember listening to the commentary on Manhunter and being amazed by Michael Mann's Chicago accent. Really thick and distinctive and at times quite hard to understand.

I've been hearing Northern Irish accents a lot too in what I've been watching. I've just seen Angel (1982) again after a long time and didn't have trouble understanding anyone except Marie Kean, playing Stephen Rea's character's aunt.

Cant stand anyone doing my own country's accent though, and laugh silently when an alien says they're really good at it.
I expect it would be like when someone does an "American" accent but it ends up as a mixture of several different areas. I'd probably gravitate to the sound of the accents in Chopper, or Bill Bailey when he was talking about customs there :

LOL at Customs. Yeah they are strict. I always offer up my walking boots if I've been to a livestock market but they never checked. They leave that for foreigners. I also ask them to check any timber products like a framed painting because I'm paranoid about bringing in bugs. The worst incident I had was asking them to check a Yak coat I bought in Tibet. Nup go straight through. The beeping thing stank like a rotting carcass and I ended up throwing it away when I started vomiting the day I tried to put it on.

I'm really impressed with the diversity of accents in places like US, Ireland and UK. I would think I would not understand someone like Tacitus when he sings when he's drunk.

As for foreigners when they try to mimic an accent, just listen to Travis Fimmel in Vikings. To me he sounds like Sam Worthington trying to take off Brad Pitt in 7 Years in Tibet botching an austrian accent.

The accent in Chopper is great. That's Eric Bana just giving his own accent a la Chopper Chop twang.

Welcome to the human race...
The Departed -

Better than I remember, but I still stand by most of what I wrote in my old review.

What is it? I'm guessing a mix. I dont even know your place of origin or where you now live.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Home of Camels, Krispy Kreme and Texas Pete
3 things that taste great killing you.

The accent in Chopper is great. That's Eric Bana just giving his own accent a Chopper Chop twang.
I like the fella who says "He terrorized the crime fraternity of Melbourne. He is of course Mark Brandon Chopper Read" .

He's good Eric Bana. I was so surprised when I found out he'd been a comedian in Australia. What had I seen him in up to that point? Probably just Hulk and Troy, and Chopper was the real eye-opener as to how good he was.

Los Olvidados (1950)

I've been interested in this Luis Bunuel film for a while and finally watched it for the movie tournament. It only has very small instances of surrealism so that was different from his other films that I've seen. This is a look at poor delinquent kids in Mexico City, although it gets much more serious than your average juvenile delinquency. It's actually a pretty disturbing film for it's time and with that comes some power. It's only about 80 minutes long and is on YouTube.

Los Olvidados (1950)

I've been interested in this Luis Bunuel film for a while and finally watched it for the movie tournament. It only has very small instances of surrealism so that was different from his other films that I've seen. This is a look at poor delinquent kids in Mexico City, although it gets much more serious than your average juvenile delinquency. It's actually a pretty disturbing film for it's time and with that comes some power. It's only about 80 minutes long and is on YouTube.
I really loved it, also it's my nomination.