Directors Whose Movies You Like AND Dislike?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The wider the disparity, the more interesting... I love Robert Altman, but there are a handful of his movies where I couldn't get past the 30 minute mark.. But he's made my #3 all-time (Nashville) and "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" which would make my Top-20...

Fellini made "La Strada" - my #2.... I liked his first one "i, vitelloni" and "Nights of Cabiria" (it's mostly Giulieta).

Inherent Vice is the only Paul Thomas Anderson film I don't like

Out of all the David Cronenberg films I've seen so far, Cosmopolis is the only one I haven't liked

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

M. Night Shamalyan - - he was just about pitch perfect with The Sixth Sense, but it seems after that, regardless of how engaging and clever his next films were, he always seemed to have a very implausible element thrown in. I have a love/hate relationship with his movies. They are brilliant films up until he pulls out the "FOOOOLED YA!!!" card.

I haven't seen his latest yet "Split", and I'm in no rush, but I will.

It's like he has a tremendous gift for elegant storytelling, pace and atmosphere..and mostly, really good writing, up until he has this one thing that just pulls the rug out from underneath you and you're like "oh...oh no...NO! Why?!"

The wider the disparity, the more interesting... I love Robert Altman, but there are a handful of his movies where I couldn't get past the 30 minute mark.. But he's made my #3 all-time (Nashville) and "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" which would make my Top-20...

Fellini made "La Strada" - my #2.... I liked his first one "i, vitelloni" and "Nights of Cabiria" (it's mostly Giulieta).
But which Altman and Fellini films do you dislike?

I generally like Orson Welles films (of the one's I've seen) like Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, The Magnificent Ambersons, but couldn't finish The Trial and I tried to watch it twice. The last time I got about 45 minutes into it before giving up and shutting it off.

I have to return some videotapes.
Fincher - Alien 3/Panic Room dont like... The rest I love.
Clint Eastwood - Not a big fan of American Sniper... Gran Torino, Unforgiven, and Mystic River are classics.
Coens - Hated Hail Caesar... No Country, Fargo, Lebowski, True Grit all really good.

Cant think of others off the top of my head

This might just do nobody any good.
On the fence about Yorgos Lanthimos. Loved The Lobster, hated Dogtooth. Will wait for The Killing of a Sacred Deer for a tie breaker.

Ben Wheatley - liked High-Rise, and loved A Firls in England, disliked Sightseers. Looking forward to finally watching Free Fire.

Ridley Scott - liked alien, the Martian and somehow Prometheus. Didn't like blade runner,gladiator and black hawk down

Inherent Vice is the only Paul Thomas Anderson film I don't like

Out of all the David Cronenberg films I've seen so far, Cosmopolis is the only one I haven't liked
Forgot to mention "There Will Be Blood" is a top 20 movie for me, but I couldn't stand "Inherent Vice".. I think I have seen every movie he did, but I also didn't like "Punch Drunk Love" or "The Master", but did like "Magnolia" and his first one.

But which Altman and Fellini films do you dislike?

I generally like Orson Welles films (of the one's I've seen) like Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, The Magnificent Ambersons, but couldn't finish The Trial and I tried to watch it twice. The last time I got about 45 minutes into it before giving up and shutting it off.
Altman - Quintet (Newman was also in Huston's self-described worst movie, "The McIntosh Man"

Fellini - I saw 8 1/2 a couple times and can't stand it.. What I can't stand more are those who have that elitist attitude of the typical "if-you-didnt-like-it-you-dont-know-movies"... I also think it becomes chic to try to like a movie like that, and when someone has that as a favorite, others are supposed to look at that person seriously..... But... if it's your favorite movie, great.... I saw "La Dolce Vita" and there's too much filler, and I felt differently every time I saw it... I couldn't get past the 15 minute mark of "Satyrcon" and "Amarcord"..

"The Trial" is not a pleasurable movie. I don't think it's that great, anyway.... Orson would be a great example of someone I admire, but I'm not a fan of his movies, besides Citizen Kane.

M. Night Shamalyan - - he was just about pitch perfect with The Sixth Sense, but it seems after that, regardless of how engaging and clever his next films were, he always seemed to have a very implausible element thrown in. I have a love/hate relationship with his movies. They are brilliant films up until he pulls out the "FOOOOLED YA!!!" card.

I haven't seen his latest yet "Split", and I'm in no rush, but I will.

It's like he has a tremendous gift for elegant storytelling, pace and atmosphere..and mostly, really good writing, up until he has this one thing that just pulls the rug out from underneath you and you're like "oh...oh no...NO! Why?!"
I would have loved him to write a Doctor Who story. Maybe if the show had been picked up in America in 1996 that might have happened .

Altman - Quintet (Newman was also in Huston's self-described worst movie, "The McIntosh Man"

Fellini - I saw 8 1/2 a couple times and can't stand it.. What I can't stand more are those who have that elitist attitude of the typical "if-you-didnt-like-it-you-dont-know-movies"... I also think it becomes chic to try to like a movie like that, and when someone has that as a favorite, others are supposed to look at that person seriously..... But... if it's your favorite movie, great.... I saw "La Dolce Vita" and there's too much filler, and I felt differently every time I saw it... I couldn't get past the 15 minute mark of "Satyrcon" and "Amarcord"..

"The Trial" is not a pleasurable movie. I don't think it's that great, anyway.... Orson would be a great example of someone I admire, but I'm not a fan of his movies, besides Citizen Kane.
I actually like Quintet but I could see non sci fi fans not caring about it. I never hear anybody talking about it and I only watched it when I was watching a lot of Paul Newman movies.

I haven't seen 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita, but I do want to see both, one of these days. So far I like Fellini but have only see a few of his films.

I actually like Quintet but I could see non sci fi fans not caring about it. I never hear anybody talking about it and I only watched it when I was watching a lot of Paul Newman movies.

I haven't seen 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita, but I do want to see both, one of these days. So far I like Fellini but have only see a few of his films.
For me, I lost interest when he went from neo-realism to surrealism... How would you grade the movies you saw?

Welcome to the human race...
Kevin Smith
Ridley Scott
Clint Eastwood
John Huston
Takashi Miike

Atom Egoyan & Wim Wenders, but I wonder if the dislikes had more to do with my not being in the mood for them at the time. May have to revisit the ones that weren't hits with me.

Yeah, I'm hard-pressed to think of filmmakers where I do like every single film they've done (assuming that their worst film is still worth at least a 3/5). Edgar Wright might be the only one that fits and that's probably because he's only done a handful of films.

What I've seen of Huston so far...

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Maltese Falcon

The Man Who Would Be King

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

The Asphalt Jungle

Key Large

Prizzi's Honour

As you can probably tell, Prizzi's Honour is an anomaly but I really did think it was a massive chore to watch. I may yet give it a second chance, but it doesn't seem like a priority. Otherwise, Huston's been pretty solid in my experience - I was just thinking of directors who had 4.5/5.0 films along with 0.5/1.0 films and he was one of the first ones I thought of.

What I've seen of Huston so far...

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Maltese Falcon

The Man Who Would Be King

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

The Asphalt Jungle

Key Large

Prizzi's Honour

As you can probably tell, Prizzi's Honour is an anomaly but I really did think it was a massive chore to watch. I may yet give it a second chance, but it doesn't seem like a priority. Otherwise, Huston's been pretty solid in my experience - I was just thinking of directors who had 4.5/5.0 films along with 0.5/1.0 films and he was one of the first ones I thought of.
Thank you.. I saw Prizzi's Honour a second time because I only saw it as a Nicholson fan.. Even after the second viewing a few years ago led me to feel the same, that it was worth the time, but nothing special. I think when I see Nicholson and Huston, I expect more...

After "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "The Misfits" I think I'd go with "Fat City" as my next favorite. And it's not just Stacy Keach' performance, which I think is one of the best ever, but Huston (unlike other directors who started in the 40s) was able to make a great movie, and had that 70's gritty realism... If you have Comcast, that movie is available for free, as well as another favorite of mine - "Wise Blood" which got better at the second viewing especially.

I tried to watch Roy Bean once, and found a few funny parts (Newman talking about how he's the law), I might try it again, thanks again.

Down below is a short interview about "Fat City"

Danny Boyle. I really like some of his work. Especially Sunshine, 28 Days Later and Shallow Grave but I detest Slumdog Millionaire with every sinew of my body, and have no idea why anyone needed Transpotting 2.