Oscar's Best Picture 2021

Tools    

And the Oscar for Best Picture will go to...
5.88%
1 votes
The Father
5.88%
1 votes
Judas and the Black Messiah
5.88%
1 votes
Mank
11.76%
2 votes
Minari
47.06%
8 votes
Nomadland
5.88%
1 votes
Promising Young Woman
0%
0 votes
Sound of Metal
17.65%
3 votes
The Trial of the Chicago 7
17 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the eight nominees for the Academy's top prize. Which is your favorite or which do you think will win?

The Father
Judas and the Black Messiah
Mank
Minari
Nomadland
Promising Young Woman
Sound of Metal
The Trial of the Chicago 7

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Wow, I think this is the first year since I have been reading Holden's Oscar threads that I haven't seen any of the choices. I have some work to do...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Wow, I think this is the first year since I have been reading Holden's Oscar threads that I haven't seen any of the choices. I have some work to do...
I blame Covid for this.

I blame Covid for this.
Considering half of them were made by streaming outlets and just about every film last year was available legally for streaming on one platform or another, most of the planet being shut down for much of the year should have made the relatively smaller selection of films more accessible, not less.

Considering half of them were made by streaming outlets and just about every film last year was available legally for streaming on one platform or another, most of the planet being shut down for much of the year should have made the relatively smaller selection of films more accessible, not less.
Speaking for myself, new releases that pop up on streaming have to compete for my attention with older releases that are new to me, and I don't subscribe to all the major services, so if anything, I've felt less inclined to check them out.*

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've only seen Mank so far and didn't really care for it. Mind you that's about the usual amount of films for me to have seen at this point; I'll try to watch as many as I can.

Mank had great performances but was too tedious a movie for me.

Nomadland was meh.

Sound of Metal, Trial of the Chicago 7, and Judas and the Black Messiah were all amazing. Still unsure which one is my top favorite.

I still need to see The Father, Minari, and Promising Young Woman.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I've seen six of the eight nominees and as much as I LOVED The Trial of the Chicago 7, I have a feeling Nomadland might do it, though after Parasite winning, Minari could sneak in there. I haven't seen Minari and I haven't seen The Father.

IIRC, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7 are both on Netflix and Nomadland is Hulu. Judas and the Black Messiah was on HBO Max until about a week ago, I think it was.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
IIRC, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7 are both on Netflix and Nomadland is Hulu. Judas and the Black Messiah was on HBO Max until about a week ago, I think it was.
I've got Netflix but neither Hulu nor HBO Max are available in the UK as far as I can find out.

I'm sure I'll see them eventually, it just prevents me having too much of an opinion on them before the Oscars. Usually most of the films would be or have been in cinemas.