The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

I could but I'd prefer not to just because of my lack of time.
Understandable. Hopefully someone will host another one, I thought this was an awesome idea and I liked the way you set it up, I wouldn't change a thing!

Understandable. Hopefully someone will host another one, I thought this was an awesome idea and I liked the way you set it up, I wouldn't change a thing!
Thanks but I'm hoping someone volunteers. I figure we can do it anytime because this was pretty relaxed. We went past the due date by a month and it was perfectly fine.

Thanks but I'm hoping someone volunteers. I figure we can do it anytime because this was pretty relaxed. We went past the due date by a month and it was perfectly fine.
Yeah, I was agreeing with you that it's understandable that you don't want to do it twice in a row. I hope whoever does do it, does it the same way you did.

Agree, only minor thing I would add is, when recommending; mention the specific version of the film, directors cut/theatrical etc.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Thank you everyone for joining this and picking such a great set of films, thank you cricket for an amazing idea and one of the most enjoyable HoFs ever! I'm glad almost everyone enjoyed my picks!

A new rule could also be; the winner needs to host the next one, @ neiba.
That's not a great idea. I've 2 CD recordings this month and another recording for a promotional clip plus a bunch of concerts that got delayed by COVID starting in September. Will have time to join but not to host.

this was probably my favorite hall of fame i’ve participated in yet, thanks for running it cricket. i swear i’ll write mini-reviews on my last three movies in the coming days, but if anyone is particularly curious about my thoughts on their pick for me feel free to pester me until i do it.
criticker

this was probably my favorite hall of fame i’ve participated in yet, thanks for running it cricket. i swear i’ll write mini-reviews on my last three movies in the coming days, but if anyone is particularly curious about my thoughts on their pick for me feel free to pester me until i do it.
When I saw that you hadn't seen Children of Paradise it was immediately the end of my search for you. I was surprised you only ranked it a #2, but it's just a credit to how much you enjoyed Le Samurai. Thanks for participating. I figure we can keep on doing these.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Late to the party but I expected to be near the bottom.

If I ranked your film towards the bottom, don't think I disliked it. The lowest rating I gave was a
, which is a positive in my books.

I didn't know what to nominate for a lot of people, but it seems a lot of people knew my tastes well and knew that I had to watch the 3 classics...almost 10 hours of them...

Suspect's Reviews

Late to the party but I expected to be near the bottom.

If I ranked your film towards the bottom, don't think I disliked it. The lowest rating I gave was a
, which is a positive in my books.

I didn't know what to nominate for a lot of people, but it seems a lot of people knew my tastes well and knew that I had to watch the 3 classics...almost 10 hours of them...
If you join the next time I can't imagine you having so many long movies again.

I looked through your MoFo lists, and I found a movie that I would recommend for you. I think it might be a bit of a risky choice, but I think you'll like it. It has a nice blend of sci-fi, drama and romance, and it even has Vincent Price in it.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

But remember, I warned you that I don't think I'm good at giving recommendations, so don't blame me if you hate it. .

I don't blame you in fact...I loved Edward Scissorhands!

I watched it last night and OMG I loved everything about it. The colors and the look of the houses in the pseudo 1960s neighborhood was so cool. I especially loved the way the houses looked inside with all their 1960s decor. I even spotted my families old TV set from the 60s!

I liked how the world of Edward was slightly askew and people took a shining to his oddness. First they started having their lawn bushes turned into topiaries. Then as his fame grew he was grooming dogs then giving all the women these crazy haircuts!

Dianne Wiest was precious in this as the well meaning Avon lady. Oh the castle set was way cool too. Wow, Tim Burton really knows how to deck out his movie in scrumptious detail. If this had been a choice for me I would've rated it right towards the top of my list, either at #1 or #2 spot. Thanks for the groovy recommendation
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	235e0db4-be20-40a9-9ba6-a8e9628f3192.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	67587  

My 3-year-old son has watched Edward Scissorhands several times. I'm a terrible parent.
Sounds like good parenting to me. I was 9 when it came out and watched it plenty. I grew up watching Beetlejuice, too.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I don't blame you in fact...I loved Edward Scissorhands!

I watched it last night and OMG I loved everything about it. The colors and the look of the houses in the pseudo 1960s neighborhood was so cool. I especially loved the way the houses looked inside with all their 1960s decor. I even spotted my families old TV set from the 60s!

I liked how the world of Edward was slightly askew and people took a shining to his oddness. First they started having their lawn bushes turned into topiaries. Then as his fame grew he was grooming dogs then giving all the women these crazy haircuts!

Dianne Wiest was precious in this as the well meaning Avon lady. Oh the castle set was way cool too. Wow, Tim Burton really knows how to deck out his movie in scrumptious detail. If this had been a choice for me I would've rated it right towards the top of my list, either at #1 or #2 spot. Thanks for the groovy recommendation

I'm glad that you loved Edward Scissorhands so much. I'm kind of hit or miss with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp movies, but I think this is one of their best movies. It has a lot of the quirkiness that seems to be in most of their collaborations, but it works great in this movie.

My 3-year-old son has watched Edward Scissorhands several times. I'm a terrible parent.
He's seen Ghostbusters too, movies the wife thinks he should be older when he first sees them.

At 3 years old, how much of these movies does he actually understand?

I'm glad that you loved Edward Scissorhands so much. I'm kind of hit or miss with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp movies, but I think this is one of their best movies. It has a lot of the quirkiness that seems to be in most of their collaborations, but it works great in this movie.
I've really liked some of the Tim Burton movies that I've seen. I should watch more of his stuff.

Loved these:
2014 Big Eyes
1996 Mars Attacks!
1994 Ed Wood
1990 Edward Scissorhands
1985 Pee-wee's Big Adventure

But didn't care for these:
2019 Dumbo
2016 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
2010 Alice in Wonderland
2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
2001 Planet of the Apes

I've really liked some of the Tim Burton movies that I've seen. I should watch more of his stuff.

Loved these:
2014 Big Eyes
1996 Mars Attacks!
1994 Ed Wood
1990 Edward Scissorhands
1985 Pee-wee's Big Adventure

But didn't care for these:
2019 Dumbo
2016 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
2010 Alice in Wonderland
2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
2001 Planet of the Apes

There aren't any Tim Burton movies that I love, but I like these movies:

Beetlejuice (1988)
Edward Scissorhands (1990)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Ed Wood (1994)
Mars Attacks! (1996)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Frankenweenie (2012)
Big Eyes (2014)

I didn't like either of his Batman movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), and Alice in Wonderland (2010).