A Cinematic Journey Of Faith

→ in
Tools    

So I have been trying to think of a new project for the coming year. I wanted to do something a little different then picking unwatched directors. So my idea is that I am going to watch one movie a week in the coming year that deals with faith. I mostly want them to pretty overt but I have a few that are of the existential variety. I have come up with about 20 movies so I need a good bit more. That is where you MoFos come in. I would love to get a bunch of recs from you guys. I know I am starting this quite early but I want to have a set schedule and am hopeful some of you may even join me in viewing at different points.

January:
A Man For All Seasons

Blade Runner

Breaking The Waves

The Unbelievers

February:
Elmer Gantry

The Apostle

Andrei Rublev

Naked

March:
Ben-Hur

The Agony And The Ecstatsy

The Butcher Boy

The Passion Of The Christ

April:
Black Robe

Au Hasard Balthazar

Dead Man Walking

Life Of Brian

The Given Word

May:
Passion Of Joan Of Arc
Amadeus
Going Clear

The Master

Wings Of Desire

June:
Shadowlands
The Ten Commandments
Hell House
The Song Of Bernadette

July:
Razors Edge
Lake Of Fire
Mea Maxima Culpa
Doubt

August:
The Keys To The Kingdom
Jesus Of Montreal
The Nun's Story
Ordet

September:
Night Of The Iguana
Solaris
Tree Of Life
The Seventh Seal

October:
Resurrection (1980)
Deliver Us From Evil
The Exorcist
The Ninth Configuration

November:
My Night At Maud's
Viridiana
Ghandi
Bless Me, Ultima

December:
He Who Must Die
The Mission
Dogma
Wide Awake

With regards to film and faith I got a few recs. You probably saw a bunch of these, but I am throwing them out there anyways.

Straight forward:

Ben-Hur
The Ten Commandments
The Book of Eli
The Mission (1986)
The Last Temptation of Christ
The Exorcist
Deliver us from Evil (2014) (REALLY good movie! Underrated from that year IMO)

Subtle or outside the norm:

The Road (2009) (A subtle theme more so then say The Book of Eli)
Dogma (About finding faith, though not in a very traditional sense. IE lots of dick and fart jokes, plus Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are angels).
Stalker
Andrei Rublev

Ordet, Calvary, The Unbelievers would be 3 great recommendation from the most atheist man there is.

And if you're interested in reading a book I'd suggest Bertrand Russell's ''Why I'm not a christian'' it is a very short, easy to read and funny at times book that presents a very convincing argument agains't the idea of religion.

Lots of great stuff so far. Some were on my list but some not. Added Breaking The Waves, The Agony And The Ecstasy, and Deliver Us From Evil so far. I'll put up a full list tonight because Slinger hit about half of what was already on there. Wanting to rewatch The Apostle is what got me thinking about this idea, so that is a definite. Been years since I have watched it.

Oh and I have seen Ordet Thursday but still might give it another go.

Not directly about faith but it has its fair share of religion, pretty much has to since it is set in 1960s Ireland. The Butcher Boy (1997)

I mostly want you to watch this so another regular (that i know of) has. I know Holden has since i watched it because it was on some list he posted, and Mark because obviously he has, wouldn't be surprised if Christine, HK or TN had either but it would be interesting seeing someone's first time reaction to it.

Jesus of Montreal
The Song of Bernadette
Black Robe
Chariots of Fire
Gandhi
Oh, God!
Gandhi was on the lost, don't think I am going to rewatch Cariots, but maybe. Added the other four. You will also be happy to know Elmer Gentry will be a part of this.

Bunuel of course, had a lot of interesting films concerning religion.

Passion of Joan of Arc
Au hasard Balthazar
God's Not Dead

I'm kidding on the last one. Don't watch it. Please. Don't watch it. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T WATCH IT SEAN!!!!!!

Anyone got some good non-christian suggestions? I know a few have been posted already i was just wondering because i'd be interested in joining Sean here like he said in the OP, i think as many different faiths as possible would allow to look over a few cultures. For instance, Ashdoc, do you have any suggestions since your country is quite possibly the most religiously diverse in the world?

Just curious if i could get a hold of at least a few of the suggestions,me and Sean could maybe start a discussion on the portrayed faiths opening it up to the experts on the site.