MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

You replaced your bad memories of a classic Fulci horror film with Twilight? Psh.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
230 .......................... 250

July 28th

—— 2015 ——

—— action ——
CINEMA REVIEWS

CLICK FOR FULL 5000+ WORDS REVIEW
if you don't have any plans the next day or two.

+

If you were to only go by the last couple pages, we would have completely opposite taste. Great reviews though.
That's true haha

Thanks as always cricket, for checking in and reading what I have been watching!

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
231 .......................... 252

July 29th

—— 2008 ——
THE POKER HOUSE
—— drama ——

There wasn’t really much about this film,
which made me interested in watching it...

The little interest I had, was because of Jennifer Lawrence, which also showed to be the case both before, during and after the movie. This is one of those stories that exists only in its own little enclosed world, often consisting of certain characters and certain social and environmental standards, which are then tested and put to the limit, but only on the small scale of the movie itself. Kind of like ‘Killer Joe’, which I recently reviewed, where we as an audience get the chance to dive deeper into something we don’t know much about – seeing something out of the norm and making something kind of special out of it. But is ‘The Poker House’ a joker or a royal flush?

I must day it was quite interesting to watch and follow these fellow human beings, who are without money or a caring mother, try to survive and get by in a small and poor neighborhood. It is never fun to see people struggle, but it can make for some great movies, but ‘The Poker House’ just couldn’t seem to poke a proper hole on the emotional bubble. It was mostly bleak and weightless, but it did keep your interest just enough for you to care. Again, it was Lawrence who made it all worth it. Her character has the hardest time, living with a drug-infused mother and therefore has to take care of her sisters, as well as the house and everything in it. Her sisters are both a little to young to understand all that is going on, which makes Lawrence's character work even harder to make their life better and more lively. She even has plenty of talent in many different areas – she is both smart, creative, caring and good at sports – something, which only a handful of people know of and appreciate.

Overall this is a very bleak and slow-moving film, which does keep your interest to a certain extent, but it ultimately falls a little flat and fails to really grab your attention or change or develop enough in any cinematic way – whether story, characters, visuals, whatever. It could easily have been a good short film though, since the basic story is a little too thin and shallow to be feature length and when the film does try to grab our attention it comes too late in the film and it feels forced and cheap. That particular scene is intense though; if you have seen the movie you know which I'm talking about: Lawrence is absolutely amazing here, especially considering her age and experience. Still, the movie as whole just isn’t memorable enough for me and I doubt I would have been interested and invested enough had Jennifer Lawrence not been in it.

When I sat down to watch this, I didn't know anything about it or the story it portrayed, so when the final piece of text popped up on screen, it was really emotional for me. I honestly didn't know. It may be a cheap trick, but it worked for me nevertheless. It worked a little less though, when I read that the story wasn't really that much of a true story according to several people, but whatever... This was decent entertainment, but ultimately this poker house falls apart and the little height it may have gained during its runtime, now lies as a thin layer of thinly drawn lines, which unfortunately won’t be stuck in my memory for too long.

-

Finally caught up with the last twenty entries or so . . .

I still think it's cool that you're chronologically working your way through all the animated Walt Disney classics. I haven't seen many of those films since I was in elementary school, so it's cool to stroll down memory lane while reading your reviews. 101 Dalmatians was one of my favorites as a kid. I still remember it pretty well even though I haven't seen it in twenty years. I barely remember Sleeping Beauty, though, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen Sword in the Stone.

It's good that Guap found somebody else who enjoyed Gunbuster so much. Even after reading you praise it, it's still difficult for me to muster up any desire to watch it. I'm with you on Hugo. It's a well-made film, but I found it pretty dull. I'm very disappointed to hear that you disliked Kingsman so much. I've yet to watch it, but I'm expecting a fun time. Matthew Vaughn has always delivered in the past, so I'm hoping this is just an instance where you and I will disagree. I've heard mostly good things from everyone else.

Home looks incredibly generic-- no interest from me. Dr. No is the only pre-Goldeneye Bond that I've seen so far, so I haven't watched any of the Roger Moore ones. Your review for Live and Let Die actually makes it sound pretty fun, even though you didn't enjoy it very much. I love that .GIF of Bond running across the gators. That looks awesome.

I love all three of the 90's Nicolas Cage action flicks, but Con Air is my favorite of the bunch. It's one of my favorite action movies, period. An amazing cast with everyone clearly having a great time chewing on the scenery. John Malkovich holding stuffed bunnies hostage. Steve Buscemi singing "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands." Nicolas Cage with a glorious mullet and a terrible southern accent. The Rock and Face/Off are also great, but they don't have the same level of fun that makes Con Air so re-watchable.

I enjoy both of the Jump Street movies, even though neither is quite as funny as they should be. Hill and Tatum have great chemistry. I'd give the slight edge to 21 Jump Street, but I like them both about the same. I felt like the sequel overdid it some when it came to the self-aware humor. Final Destination had a really cool concept. It's been a long time since I last watched it, but I think I'd still enjoy it if I watched it today. I'm interested in The Tale of Princess Kaguya, although I worry that the unique visual style might put me off.

We're on opposite ends when it comes to The Third Man. Hopefully you just had something else on your mind during your initial viewing so that kept you from fully connecting to it. Personally, I think it's an amazing film. The Dutch angles and the excellent use of shadows are iconic, but I think the film is a lot more than just fancy camera tricks. The "Cuckoo Clock" speech is one of my favorite monologues in cinema. I'm also disappointed that you didn't like Killer Joe very much. I thought the film had a great script and a lot of great dialogue. I also thought it was cool seeing a modern day noir take place in a trailer park. At least you enjoyed McConaughey's excellent performance and the intense last act.

I gave my thoughts on The Blues Brothers in the Hall of Fame thread since I had just recently watched it at the time. My biggest problem is the length. It's too damn long. As the weeks have passed, though, I find myself thinking back on a lot of scenes and still smiling in amusement. I'd never heard of The Poker House until Zotis nominated it. I might check it out someday. I expect a little bit of a TV-movie feel, but it'll be interesting to see such an early performance from Jennifer Lawrence. The subject matter sounds interesting, too.

Considering how poorly I keep up with this thread, it's a good thing you're always lagging a few weeks behind when it comes to keeping pace with the dates you watched the films and the dates you post the reviews. Otherwise it would take me all day to catch up. I always enjoy reading your opinions, though, even when we disagree.

Damn... 20 entries of catching up on full-length reviews... I sure appreciate and admire your dedication and will power to actually read your way through it, rep them all, comment on almost them all. I wouldn't even know if I could do it myself, even if I love writing and reading reviews.

As I said in my Cinema Reviews thread, it really is okay if you skip some of them and just check in from time to time, I almost feel responsible for putting the clown to sleep here, suffering an early death. I enjoy reading your every thought and appreciate it so much, so whatever you do I appreciate it, small comments; big comments; whatever. All is appreciate so much.

Thanks as always, mr. Spaulding!

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
233 .......................... 254

July 29th

—— 2009 ——
DRAG ME TO HELL
—— horror ——
REWATCH

Even nice people
can go to hell

After being dragged into a commentary session and cursed with the company of Swan, I wasn't too sure what to expect with this revisit to hell on earth... I had very torn feelings about this film last time I saw it, but it has been ages since then, and I guess you could say I have been aging into a proper cinephile within that time frame. I don't know if this is the right movie to clarify my love and understanding for cinema, but I was sure ready to be dragged to hell and back, hopefully having one hell of a time on my way there...

This film is a good bit of fearsome fun in my opinion; exploding with a huge hellfire of awesome directorial attitude and fantastic flair for creepy atmosphere. I may not like this film as much as I appreciate and admire it, but even if you don’t flow with the flames and dance to the Devil’s pipe on this one, you will definitely still surrender to the evil amusements no matter what. Sam Raimi is the uncrowned King of unconventional chaos; always delivering said chaos with a crooked smile and a side of gruesome gags to go with it. Because of this, ‘Drag Me to Hell’ is a swell time within the horror genre and the film never really drags either, since Raimi keeps things hot, exciting and alive throughout.

One of the most memorable scenes in my opinion, is without a doubt the small scale struggle in the car, between the main character and an unhappy costumer, so to speak, which ultimately leaves her cursed. This makes for an intense and very amusing adrenaline-fueled ride in a car that almost never moves – and when it does, it only gets better and even funnier. Everything build around the story is beautifully haunting, with intriguing set designs and absorbing atmospheric cinematography – which is then combined with Raimi’s roaring sense of presence – creating the offspring of the Devil himself in movie form. The soundtrack shoots through the cracks under your feet and flames up with what can only be called the Devil’s personal house orchestra. I want to call it Godlike, but that doesn’t really make sense does it? I guess you could call it the melody of evil clashing with the good and ultimately overruling the earth and creating the Devil’s playground right in our backyard. The tunes crawl under your skin and the sounds creep through your mind like a possessed piece of classical music.

As fun as this film can be, I’m not a blazing fan of it when it goes too far and becomes overly silly. As I said earlier, I do admire when Raimi takes the Devil by the horns and makes the movie he wants to make. I don’t mind when horror films want to be comedies either, but if only Raimi had reached for the high humor opposed to underground entertainment I would have accepted it more. But instead everything comes across as a tad too serious, for something that wants to be so obviously hilarious as well. There are times where the film walks a fine line between heaven and hell for me, but when it falls too low for my liking I rarely follow it through; especially not when it dives all the way into stupidity and ridiculous ramblings.

I must admit I mostly admire the attempts at being funny more than I truly love them, and though Raimi usually knows his balance he stumbles a bit with this one. I prefer the film as a horror rather than a comedy, but some of the smaller and more cleverly conceived humor honors the movie with some nice tasteful flamboyance. ‘Drag Me to Hell’ is both a fun time and a dumb time, though thankfully, never a dull time. But for me I do think it has a lot more potential than what it seems to fulfill by the end of it. It is also one of those movies I really wish I loved more, but I just can’t seem to embrace it entirely…

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
233 .......................... 255

July 30th

—— 2012 ——
L I F E
OF
P I

—— adventure ——
REWATCH

IN 3D
You think tiger is your friend?
He is an animal, not a playmate

This will be the first time I dive into this life journey of a pacific pioneer, ever since I saw it at the theaters, all the way back in 2012... Upon release, this film was favored by many critics and hailed by the mainstream audience as the ultimate experience of visual exceptionalism and eccentric escapism. I definitely see the appeal in watching something almost unreal unfold on the open waters, while we sit safely in our seats watching magic become reality. The question is though, whether or not this movie truly is superior enough to be sailing past other films at award shows, winning in several categories as well…

If you want my personal point of view, I see this film sailing down the same (main) stream as ‘Avatar’ did, back in 2009. ‘Life of Pi’ is an immerse movie made to be experienced, not merely watched, all the while the scale of budget and cinematic science is operated at the uppermost level. This may not make it cinematic craftsmanship at its finest, but it launches a visual concept and constructs a wonderful world around it – a place that encourages you to jump on board this visual spectacle and join the journey of picturesque proportions. Because, this film is definitely beautiful to look at, though I'm still not sure how I feel when computer-generated visuals beat out hand-made and hand-measured cinematography at award shows – but who cares about medaling movies anyways? Even though I might not mesh with the mass of cinema evolution, I do think it is amazing what you can achieve with movies today, especially when going all the way with it. Because I do think the film is absolutely stunning, and it is the visuals, which make the movie lift off the screen, while the main character and authentic artificial animals award the movie with all the weight.

That said, I will say the weight that this movie has isn’t much more than what can fit into a lifeboat, quite literally, but when you look at what the movie has to work with it succeeds rather well actually. Suraj Sharma does a fine job as the main character out there in the open, but he isn’t as extraordinary as some people seem to think. But when his acting perhaps isn't up to par or pales next to the beauty of the film, I just remind myself of a few things… this guy is a debutant actor in his first role… acting in a major big budget blockbuster… made by an Oscar-winning director… acting opposite absolutely nothing… next to a blue screen… behind a swimming pool… inside a set. Honestly, that is all you need to know to be pretty convinced. And after all, the beauty of the film is blinding and a joy to behold. But the thing is, when you have just one actor on screen for most of the runtime, it isn’t always easy to keep everything interesting. It does have a hard time paddling itself along, but thankfully the visuals make you forget the cloudier parts – both the backdrops and the animals front and center. The wide landscape makes us lean back and enjoy the scenario, while the animals makes us invested and interested in what is going on. How these animals came to life is a prime example of computer magic making our emotions compute. When you look at it, the movie essentially succeeds in the same way that the character does. It is some kind of weird real-time revelation of cinema; this movie struggles at times but ultimately keeps everything afloat.

Overall, 'Life of Pi' is like a combined poem of nature and human nature; a morally majestic masterpiece in many ways, though not through and through in my eyes. I definitely see the beauty of it, but I guess it is an exercise in capturing the moment and showing off every technical flair possible. It feels almost like Noah's very, very small ark, but it is just so full of life when you watch it. In my opinion the 3D is essential, mainly because of the experience you want to have with it, and the fact that it adds that extra sense of being inside the boat… out on the sea… around all the emptiness. This film never really took my breath away, despite of all the stimulating scenery present, but the storm hitting the ship and sinking it is by far my favorite sequence. That scene is surprisingly intense and extremely well made, especially with the last shot of Pi flowing weightless beneath the waters. It has almost become an iconic shot and it is a prime example of a beautiful art from artificial machinery – and so is the movie itself, whether you like it or not.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
You basically said everything about Drag Me to Hell that I thought about it too it had its moments in both the horror and comedy aspects, but I agree, it went a little bit overboard

I haven't seen Life of Pi yet, but I might check it out eventually because you're rating isn't bad at all, and I quite like Ang Lee too

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I seen Drag Me To Hell in the cinema back when it was released. I thought it was pretty good, but i remember liking the first half alot more than the second.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Thank God someone checked in here, I was beginning to worry! Thanks for saving my day CiCi and Optimus!

You basically said everything about Drag Me to Hell that I thought about it too it had its moments in both the horror and comedy aspects, but I agree, it went a little bit overboard

I haven't seen Life of Pi yet, but I might check it out eventually because you're rating isn't bad at all, and I quite like Ang Lee too
Glad you agree with my review and that you took your time to read, rep and write something as well. That's like the best thing ever and you know the feeling as well as I do.

I would definitely say check out Life of Pi, but as I wrote I would recommend to see it in the best possible way - a huge screen, a great surround system and preferably in 3D as well. It really gives the movie that extra depth and lifts the overall experience.

Thank you so much, Callum, I appreciate your thoughts!

I seen Drag Me To Hell in the cinema back when it was released. I thought it was pretty good, but i remember liking the first half alot more than the second.
Yeah, the second half was definitely weaker than the first, which was way more grounded and intense on human emotions and unexplained happenings. The second half went more crazy with the concept and created a predictable twist as well, which I wasn't the biggest fan of.

Hope you liked the review and I'm so very thankful that you checked in here! I really appreciate every comment I get because people really took their time to write something instead of do a one-click and then leave. I appreciate rep too, but not as much as comments obviously so thank you, Optimus!!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Thank God someone checked in here, I was beginning to worry! Thanks for saving my day CiCi and Optimus!

Glad you agree with my review and that you took your time to read, rep and write something as well. That's like the best thing ever and you know the feeling as well as I do.

I would definitely say check out Life of Pi, but as I wrote I would recommend to see it in the best possible way - a huge screen, a great surround system and preferably in 3D as well. It really gives the movie that extra depth and lifts the overall experience.

Thank you so much, Callum, I appreciate your thoughts!
No bother MM, you're more than welcome!
And yeah, I totally know what you mean as well, personally I get quite giddy and excitable whenever I see a reply

I've probably missed my window for that happening then and apparently I can't see 3D properly so this optician told me not to bother wasting my money watching 3D I was gutted! I know exactly what you mean though, there's a few films I'd love to see in a giant cinema setting, mainly Argento films to be honest!

No bother MM, you're more than welcome!
And yeah, I totally know what you mean as well, personally I get quite giddy and excitable whenever I see a reply

I've probably missed my window for that happening then and apparently I can't see 3D properly so this optician told me not to bother wasting my money watching 3D I was gutted! I know exactly what you mean though, there's a few films I'd love to see in a giant cinema setting, mainly Argento films to be honest!
The Suspiria soundtrack and visuals on the big screen would be the perfect viewing experience for that film!

Damn, sad to hear you can't see 3D, though you only miss out on a few occasions. Not all 3D is worth it, but a few movies actually become even better in the format. Films like Gravity, Avatar, Life of Pi, Wizard of Oz (yes, the original), Beauty and the Beast as well as animated movies in genereal, they really come to life with the help of that extra dimension.