Fracking (not a Battlestar Galactica thread)

Tools    

You always act like I'm trying to take us back to the stone age. Really, I'd just prefer it, if we'd just slow down this conquest of the Earth and all its resources.

Yeah, it is hooey. And seismic activity is not a synonym for "earthquakes," by the way, even though it sounds appropriately scary.

The fire thing is bunk, too--the most famous video was explicitly contradicted by the Colorado Dept. of Natural Resources as being the result of naturally occurring methane. Other cases have been traced to problems with the cement in the wells--problems that have zero to do with fracking.

Nobody wants it, but I wouldn't be particularly afraid of it, either. And whether or not someone wants it is different than whether or not it causes earthquakes, makes tap water flammable, keys your car, or whatever else people will think to blame on it next month.

Sure. And if she says no, that proves it causes earthquakes and flammable tap water...how? Did we somehow switch from arguing about what's true to testing how much I believe it? Because you should give me a heads-up on that kinda thing.

Here's a question back the other way: why do you think people are blaming fracking for things totally incidental to it, like poorly laid well cement? Does that sound like an issue people are being rational and level-headed about? Because it sounds downright hysterical to me. It sounds like a lot of people are ready to believe anything about this.

It doesn't prove anything. Maybe it'll make you think a little is all. You are so quick to jump on a side and defend that side. You are pretty closed off my friend.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Here's a question back the other way: why do you think people are blaming fracking for things totally incidental to it, like poorly laid well cement? Does that sound like an issue people are being rational and level-headed about? Because it sounds downright hysterical to me. It sounds like a lot of people are ready to believe anything about this.

Are people really that quick to believe that fracking is even bad? Its going on all over the US. I'm pointing out some pretty brand new data, that isn't even really officially data yet because this fracking is still pretty new. But yeah. Who believes any of the stuff I say? Nobody, really. I don't have any followers.

I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that fracking causes earthquakes or cancer or can even be set on fire from a tap. But I'm concerned. It concerns me more how few others are concerned. I'm not trying to shut the planet down, but I would love it if we could just take a little step back and slow down a bit. Maybe do some scientific investigation if its not too much trouble.

And I suppose the mere fact that I disagree is all the evidence you need that I haven't thought about it, right?

Believe it or not, I've heard these arguments, and I didn't just find these rebuttals on the fly. I've read and thought about this before--because I live here. I actually familiarized myself with the other side before I started talking about it. Can you honestly say the same? Because it seems like a big red flag that we always pivot away from the facts and off into glib personal remarks about how I'd obviously agree if I were just more open-minded.

I have very little choice, but to learn about the "other" side as you put it. The other side just gets crammed down your throat whether you want it to or not. Seriously, they even have commercials for this stuff.

What's always interesting to me is how quickly these exchanges tend to devolve into your opinion on how badly I argue. Or my vehicle to get people talking about this. I've built an opinion on fracking over the last 3 years. I've learned a great deal about it. I'm willing to discuss most anything about it.

So, let's start over...

Gee, it sure seems like 'seismic activity' has gone up about 200% in Oklahoma and some of the other surrounding states in the last 2 years in particular. Link.

Do you think it's possible to likely that fracking might have a little bit to do with this? If not, then do you have any theories as to why it might be happening?

Chris, I just wanna say that I desperately hope that you or any of your family don't become another one of the many horror stories coming from your great state. I've grown rather fond of you over the years. Even if you're a little green fella, that kinda smells funny.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Can we move the last 9 or 10 pages of shouts to their own thread?

We can call it Freaking Fracking Friction. Or something.

There's been talk about fracking starting up here in parts of rural Fermanagh and, although I've not paid a lot of attention, the only people who seem not to be opposed to the idea are Tory types: Therefore I'm against it.

It's just how I roll.