Daniel's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen Persona or Paths of Glory yet, but I will. Oldboy was very disappointing to me. But your reviews are consistently enjoyable.

Rosemary's Baby
(1968, Roman Polanski)

Despite that fact that Chinatown has been one of my favourite films of all time from the moment I first watched it, it had previously been the only Roman Polanski film that I had seen. Although his noir detective mystery is widely regarded as his best film, Rosemary’s Baby (along with The Pianist) is also held in very high regard, and as a person who prefers a well constructed and intelligent psychological thriller over a modern slasher horror, I was extremely interested in watching Rosemary’s Baby.

The reason that Rosemary’s Baby works is because of Roman Polanksi’s approach to the genre. For the first half the film not much happens at all, when compared to what many expect from a horror. In fact almost the entire film takes place in one place, an apartment. There are very few scenes of violence either, for the majority of the film we are simply listening to the characters speak, this film is obsessed with details and this mean each character is extensively developed, we know everything about their lives, their feelings, and most importantly: their suspicions.

The characters, whose lives feel like part of ours, are aiding by fantastic performances all round. Mia Farrow is the star as Rosemary Woodhouse, a young woman who becomes pregnant but then grows increasingly paranoid over her and her baby’s safety following mysterious events and occurrences from those around her. Although I believe Mia Farrow gives the strongest performance, it was the performance of Ruth Gordon that saw the film gain Academy Award recognition, winning Best Actress in a Supporting Role, she is superb as an old woman who immediately befriends Rosemary after she moves into to her new apartment, although funny and friendly there is an awkward and dark feeling about her character from the moment we meet her.

Along with Ruth Gordon’s character there are a number of other subtle details that we are shown even at the beginning of the film that help build up an uneasy and disturbing atmosphere such as a suicide and even a wardrobe strangely positioned inside the new apartment. As the film progresses these small fears grow into even greater ones, with the potential threat of real danger becoming increasingly real, Rosemary is the character who feels these fears and even though she is alone and isolated in her concerns we feel a genuine connection to her as suspense is intelligently built up.

Although this film has supernatural elements, the fact that we do not see any type of real danger works in the films favour as through details we paint a dark and horrific image ourselves. The films ending is fitting and superb, although I will avoiding giving anything away about it in the review, the less you know then the better the film will be as you watch from start to finish and enjoy the suspense and horror built over two hours.

As a horror film, Rosemary’s Baby was received extremely successfully and as previously mentioned even managed to win an Academy Award. The film is said t have inspired and laid the foundations for many horrors and supernatural thrillers to follow but unfortunately none (at least that I have seen) have matched Polanksi’s level of horror created through a mature and organised structure, instead choosing to attempt to shock viewers with violent/scary images rather than allowing the element of fear build an image of such for the viewer.

RATING:

Killing Them Softly
(2012, Andrew Dominik)

Killing Them Softly is a film that due to its harsh and brutal criminal setting, won’t appeal to everyone. And it is a film that despite a delayed release, failed to pick up any Academy Award nominations, but do not let that put you off what is one of my favourite films of 2012.

The film is based on the 1974 novel ‘Cogan’s Trade’ by George V. Higgins, but it was decided that it should be set in 2008 America in order to integrate the story with the political and economic setting of the 2008 US Presidential election.

The film’s story is simple: a couple of small time criminals are hired by another criminal Johnny ‘Squirrel’ Amato (Vincent Curatola) to rob a card game ran by the infamous Markie Trattman (Ray Liotta). Amato explains that should everything go to plan then the trio would have nothing to worry about as the blame would fall upon Trattman due to a previous incident in which he organised a robbery on his own game. The story though is not really important, it is relatively straightforward, what is important is the criminal world that we have an insight of, a local economy and the people who inhabit it and their lives.

The two main characters whose lives we have possibly the biggest insight to are Jackie (Brad Pitt) and Mickey (James Gandolfini). Brad Pitt is superb as the hit man responsible for sorting out the crisis created, he delivers most of the film’s memorable dialogue that includes some final lines, but more important to the film are the conversations he shares with others in the middle passage. Approaching the situation from a neutral, unbiased and level headed perspective, he argues with the ‘Driver’ (Richard Jenkins), who meets with him to deal with the situation, over various issues surrounding the crisis, he knows that Markie Trattman is not responsible but he explains how he still must die. He acts as the man who delivers the grim, dismal and inevitable bad news, even death, to various characters, ultimately reinforcing the message that hope – despite political propaganda – is just that, that life will ultimately never get better for these people who are involved in a dark and depressing business.

Whilst Brad Pitt’s character acts as the man responsible for delivering death, he refuses to get close to any of the men he needs to kill, he does not want emotions to get involved and instead likes to kill them softly, from a distance. This is where James Gandolfini’s character comes in, a character that has limited screen time but makes a huge impact. There are only two scenes that I can actually recall with Mickey, a hit man called in to help out Jackie, he turns out to be far from the man that Jackie remembers him as, now a past his prime, alcohol loving and prostitute addicted old man, it quickly becomes apparent that he wont be committing no murder. These two scenes are filled with dialogue, I have actually heard some people criticise this and label his character and stories pointless, this however is far from true and these conversations act as a negative and pessimistic reminder of the dismal fate of men. Jackie, who refuses to get emotionally connected to any of his victims, finds himself listening to a man who represents to him someone who he could potentially become, Mickey is the only character who refuses to take orders from Jackie, and in a reversed role ironically ends up being the bearer of bad news to Jackie.

The rest of the supporting cast are as strong as they need to be, each one having their individual moments of interaction with Brad Pitt’s lead character. Another actor who stood out for me was Scoot McNairy as Frankie, the more intelligent half of the duo that robs the card game at the beginning of the film.

As well as containing great performances and dialogue, the film is also brilliantly directed from a stylistic point of view; with Dominik doing a great job of created a dark and gritty atmosphere to fit the run down criminal community. There are a number of fantastic and memorable scenes in the film; my favourite involves brilliant use of slow motion in a graphic and bloody drive by murder.

Being a massive fan of The Sopranos as well as numerous crime films such as Goodfellas, I was looking forward to watching this film. Although it has two actors from the former and shares noticeable elements with the latter, as a whole it felt like something much different, a unique film that works because off the world it creates and its in inhabits that represent to us the cynical and depressing side of the world, in that sense I would say a better comparison is to the Coen Brothers’ No Country for Old Men.

If I had to recommend to people one film from 2012 to see, I would avoid the bigger names and crow pleasing usual suspects, and go with Killing Them Softly. A unique film that has fantastic direction, a great screenplay and all round great performances, unfortunately it seems to have been met with a ‘love it or hate it’ reception, probably down to its cynical and pessimistic message. Soon I suspect I will watch The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, an earlier film from Dominik that is based in a genre that I love (Western), if it is as good as this – generally I have heard more positive thoughts on it - then I am sure I will love it.

RATING:

If you haven't already, please watch Chopper. It's a superb film and one of my all-time favourites.
Nope I haven't, but I was planning on doing so after Assassination, cheers

Django Unchained
(Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

Throughout his career, Quentin Tarantino has always made clear his admiration for Spaghetti Westerns, citing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as one of his all time favourite films and paying homage to the surrealistic and gritty style of the films through elements of his own such as in Kill Bill where he even uses some work belonging to the Italian composer Ennio Morricone who famously scored the films of Sergio Leone.

When Quentin Tarantino announced that he was to finally make a film set as a Spaghetti Western, as a big fan of his, I was as excited as anyone to see the end result. Despite being a Western, Tarantino actually sets his film in the south of America, giving us his own unique take on a slice of history as he did in Inglourious Basterds.

Setting the film in the south, during a time of slavery, allows Tarantino to set up a fantastic platform in which he can develop a fantastic array of characters in a classic revenge tale. Jamie Foxx stars as a freed slave, Django, who is attempting to rescue his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), Christolph Waltz stars as his accomplice to make for an enjoyable and fun ‘buddy’ relationship, and Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson star as the films villainous duo.

Fans of Tarantino will have known what to expect in this film, with a mixture of violence and humour apparent straight from the film’s opening scene. Following a classical Western style opening in which we hear the song from the original film Django, Waltz’ character, Dr. King Schultz comes to the rescue of Django in a violent confrontation with the Speck brothers. Waltz begins the film with a bang, he is a retired dentist turned bounty hunter who brings humour to the film despite being presented in numerous serious situations, unlike his Oscar winning performance in Inglourious Basterds, he instead plays the role of the hero in this film, a likeable character that acts as a ‘deus ex machina’, a character of convenience who comes along out of no where, perfect to solve all of Django’s problems.

Waltz is once again superb in a role certainly deserving of his Golden Globe win and Oscar nomination, this time he’s the good guy and arguably steals the show, that is not to take credit away from Jamie Foxx, his partner who puts in a fantastic performance, after watching the film you really can not imagine anybody else playing this role.

The film can be split into two distinct halves; the first is the development of the friendship between Django and Dr. Schultz, where the experienced Bounty Hunter works with his partner to hunt down various criminals such as the Brittle Brothers, as he trains the slave into a capable killer. This first halve is full of entertaining and enjoyable scenes in which we see a number of different great cameos such as Don Johnson, M.C. Gainey, and even Jonah Hill who is at the centre of a hilarious scene focussed on the early existence of the KKK.

Once the film introduces its two villains, the infamous plantation owner Calvin Candie and his black assistant, Stephen, I was left wondering how the remainder of the film would play out with over half the viewing time remaining, but once we get inside Candyland (Candie’s plantation) the film really gets going with some fantastic and suspenseful scenes that are pure Tarantino in the way that we get to see each of the main characters expressive themselves in a way that is fascinating and entertaining. Tarantino does a great job of making us well and truly despise the villains, Calvin Candie is a truly detestable man who our hatred towards is fuelled by two of the most violent scenes in the film in which we see black slaves brutally killed. Then there is Stephen, with Samuel L. Jackson giving possibly the most surprising role of the film, when I initially heard about this film I had imagined a small role for his character but closer to release it became apparent that he was to have a larger role. Always alongside his boss who he looks up to, Stephen is a manipulative and sinister character who we are not sure whether to laugh at or be afraid of.

What is perhaps surprising is how despite Tarantino exploiting this fantasy western world to fit in as much as he can in terms of trademarks, references, dialogue and humour, the film always stays pretty close to its central story which is one about love and Django’s journey to rescue his wife. This won’t please everyone, especially with how the final act is laid out and one criticism of the film that I have is the fact that the love story acts as a platform for Tarantino to develop other ideas for two thirds of the film, yet how the film comes together and ends relies heavily upon it which is surprising given relatively little development between Django and Broomhilda, although having read the original screenplay I can understand (often regrettably) why certain scenes were left out of the final cut.

If you are a fan of Quentin Tarantino then you will probably love this film, and even if you are not then you would be silly to miss it, although not as well crafted as other films in 2012, it is definitely the most entertaining film of the year that I have seen.

RATING:

Moonrise Kingdom
(Wes Anderson, 2012)

Only nominated for one Oscar (original screenplay), Moonrise Kingdom might just be the most overlooked film of the year. Released in the first half of the year, the film unfortunately never really generated a serious Oscar push.

I am a fan of Wes Anderson, and in particular his film The Royal Tenenbaums which is a film that tends to divide opinions. There is no doubting that there is a mixture of positives and negatives in the film, in fact almost all Anderson’s films have faced criticism other a repetitive formula that whilst everything plays nicely and fits together well, results in a final piece that is missing something. Fortunately the story of Moonrise Kingdom allows for Anderson’s directorial ability to be utilised arguably better than any of his other films, with an innocent and loveable tale at the centre of it.

Like his other films, Moonrise Kingdom has a strange fantasy world which is inhabited by a bizarre array of strange characters. This world is a small island, with a scout camp on one side and a family home on the other. The story is simple, two characters from either side, a outcast scout Sam and an unhappy Suzy agree to meet up and run away together in a romantic teen love story.

With the film’s opening we are immediately reintroducing to the charming visual style that we associate with Anderson, detailed and odd sets, particularly laid out and brought to life with a fantastic palette of colours and great use of different objects, such as the scout camp. The whole island is a visual delight, with a warm feel generated that works well with the cute story.

Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, the two newcomers who play the parts of Sam and Suzy, are wonderful to watch. Like other Anderson films we also get a strong supporting cast. I was in particular impressed by Edward Norton and Bruce Willis (appearances also from Frances McDormand and Harvey Keitel), both portraying scout masters who although do not take other the story, develop relationships with the film’s protagonist that help aid the film’s innocent story.

Wes Anderson’s style won’t be for everyone, but I would be surprised if you finished watching this film without a smile on your face. After films such as The Darjeeling Limited and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, which were met with mixed critical receptions, I feel that in both this film and Fantastic Mr. Fox, Anderson has shown himself maturing as a filmmaker by applying his quirky style that blends a serious narrative with a comedic and fantasy like elements to two stories that are extremely watchable and enjoyable for audiences.

Although this film on the whole is possibly a more safe piece of work than some of Anderson’s other films, it means that in terms of quality this is probably the Anderson’s most perfect piece of work so far. One of the most delightful films of 2012, make sure that you do not miss it.

RATING:

Great reviews Daniel! I really look forward to seeing Django Unchained. I really don't think I'd like Moonrise Kingdom at all, but I may watch it just to make sure.

Looper
(Rian Johnson, 2012)

Looper is one of the most creative and original films of 2012, Rian Johnson’s ambitious film combines an intelligent futuristic Sci-Fi plot with a human story centred on its two main characters that are brilliantly portrayed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis.

With its Sci-Fi setting, Looper was always going to be a film met with mixed reaction from audiences, with a 2074 based time travelling story asking its viewers to go along with the premise in parts where everything might not make complete sense.

However plot difficulties never seemed to me a problem for my viewing thanks to Johnson’s fantastic screenplay, which had it not been for the genre of choice perhaps would have picked up an Oscar nomination. The story is based around ‘loopers’, men who are paid a fortune in gold to kill other men who are sent back to them from the future, what’s the catch? Loops are eventually closed, this means that the loopers are paid to kill their future selves; they are paid a huge sum of gold to do so and can live their life lavishly until the day comes that they need to be sent back in time.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character is asked to close his loop, but allows his future self a moment of opportunity to escape, something he immediately regrets and brings with it a whole raft of consequences.

So how does this relationship between Gordon-Levitt and his future self, Bruce Willis, play out for the entire film? It’s not simply a game of hide and seek, or an action filled Sci-Fi film that it easily could have been, although it does have a good amount of interesting action scenes. Instead we are introduced to a third character who gives the film another dimension: the mysterious ‘Rainmaker’, a person who is responsible for much crime and pain in the future world.

I enjoyed all the performances in the film, before their paths split about halfway through, Gordon-Levitt and Willis get the opportunity to give us one of the finest scenes in the film where the two exchange heated conversation at a small diner as their differing personalities clash, both have their own personal motives for wanting to either kill, or let live the older Joe.

By the end of the film I was very pleased with the direction it took and how it intelligently came to an end, it kept me interested and I can honestly say I was unsure exactly what was going to happen at times. A Sci-Fi film that is intelligent and respectful, with a great screenplay and top performances to go with it, one of my favourite films of 2012.

RATING:

Nice review! I liked it too, but I would rate it slightly lower than you. Something like
+ or
-

I thought the part at the house was a little bit weaker than the rest of the movie and although the ending was pretty clever in trying to make the time travel thing work, everything still seemed very paradoxal to me. A problem that I didn't have with Bruce Willis' best time travel movie (in my opinion), Twelve Monkeys.

Looper was still very enjoyable, though.

Nice review! I liked it too, but I would rate it slightly lower than you. Something like
+ or
-

I thought the part at the house was a little bit weaker than the rest of the movie and although the ending was pretty clever in trying to make the time travel thing work, everything still seemed very paradoxal to me. A problem that I didn't have with Bruce Willis' best time travel movie (in my opinion), Twelve Monkeys.

Looper was still very enjoyable, though.
If I was being stricter I'd probably give it a rating of 4, however relative to the rest of the films I've seen in 2012 I'd give it higher than most hence 4.5, I wanna give it a re watch later sometime this year again though.

And Twelve Monkeys looks really good, I love Brazil which is a Terry Gilliam Sci-Fi who also directs it and I love La Jeteé, the short film which Twelve Monkeys is based on. I'll definitely have to watch it sometime.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Looper is definitely one I need to rewatch before cementing an opinion on it. I posted my review of it (review here) immediately after viewing it at the cinema and my initial instinct was to give it a
, but almost instantly I felt it should perhaps have been a bit lower and the film has rather soured in my mind since. Will need to give it a second watch and see what I make of it.

Oh and I definitely echo Cobpyth's view on Twelve Monkeys. Love that film, absolutely fantastic!

This was ignored in the couple of years old Moneyball thread, so hope you guys don't mind me reposting this here

Moneyball (Bennett Miller, 2011)

It's about getting things down to one number. Using the stats the way we read them, we'll find value in players that no one else can see. People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality. Bill James and mathematics cut straight through that. Billy, of the 20,000 notable players for us to consider, I believe that there is a championship team of twenty-five people that we can afford, because everyone else in baseball undervalues them.
I will start off by saying that Brad Pitt is definitely one of my favourite modern actors, he's not just a good looking decent talent, he is a fantastic actor who makes great choices in his films, with a good mixture of popular and less-popular, but great films, he's appeared in a very interesting bag of films since 2000 and as such as gained a lot of respect from me, apart from this I'm talking about Inglourious Bastards, The Tree of Life, Killing Them Softly, Burn After Reading, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Babel, even Snatch. I haven't seen all of those films listed, but not many actors would have taken on such a variety of films and directors.

And speaking of great modern actors there's Philip Seymour Hoffman in a relatively small role as the team coach, Art Howe, his character doesn't have any 'spectacular' scenes but Hoffman offers a dislikeable character to contrast with the two we are cheering on, Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill, the latter proving he's not just some dumb comedy actor, excelling in this dramatic role. It doesn't look like Hill's great performance has gone unnoticed either, he recently appeared in the 2012 hit Django Unchained (albeit a comedic role) but perhaps even more impressively got the chance to work with Martin Scorsese in his upcoming film, The Wolf of Wall Street.

What makes Moneyball such a great film is pretty much a combination of what I have spoke about before, it's intelligent in the way the story is told in the fact that no baseball knowledge is required before hand, this is a film about humans and their lives, the choices they make, their jobs and responsibilities, we see a young economic graduate tell a number of ageing scouts that the job they've been doing for thirty years is wrong and we see the team coach being forced into decisions he would never make in his own mind with his job under pressure, even though he's not a likeable character, we can understand the struggle he faces.

Ultimately the film is a lot about the struggle and challenges people face in life, and as part of this we see flashbacks from Billy Beane's (Brad Pitt) earlier life as a baseball player turned scout, his personal life and history plays a part in his character, each character has their own reasoning and motives for the decisions they make, the conflicting of characters and policies makes the film even more rewarding when we watch the strategy work. Emotionally the film works out like many underdog films that we have watched time and time before, except we're not cheering the underdog team, but the underdog 'belief', an idea that triumphs down to perseverance, with hard choices having to be made on the way.

The film works because it's a true story, when the underdog battles and triumphs we feel joy, and also sorry for Billy Beane who whichever way you look at it has changed the face of a sport entirely (at least in the context of the film, but I believe in real life too), there is a scene towards the end that acts as a brilliant metaphor for the accomplishment of Beane, Brand (Hill) and 'Moneyball' as an idea, where we see a player unknowingly score a home run as he struggles to complete his run, Beane is pessimistic and understandably so, we feel a personal triumph for his character who I felt a great connection and affection for during the film.

RATING: