Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Was it ever decided if the film lists would be the English translation, or in the native language? Asian or Russian film titles would be pretty obscure in their native fonts.

I think presentation is still being determined, but just as one person, I think presenting both is not only informative/useful, but could play into the style of the presentation in some interesting ways, too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Human Condition trilogy: One film or three? For anybody else who might vote for it, if it is ruled as three separate films for the purpose of voting, we should pick one of the three and all vote for that film to represent the trilogy, yeah?
Haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like it may be worthy of three spots anyways.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Great. 3 months to find a film with the wildest title for my one-pointer.

That thought goes through my head on every list. I never follow through with it.

The Human Condition trilogy: One film or three? For anybody else who might vote for it, if it is ruled as three separate films for the purpose of voting, we should pick one of the three and all vote for that film to represent the trilogy, yeah?
I will absolutely do this. It belongs and I was considering not voting for it because of not knowing what one to pick.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Third One aka The Best One, obviously.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

War and Peace appears to be listed as a film on imdb so I'm happy for it to be nominated as such, unless anyone has any objections.
My question was more about if it's a movie or four movies. It was released in four parts between 66 and 67, but then again it won an Oscar as a whole (because of this, I guess it's hard to argue it shouldn't count as one but I still wonder how it differs from The Lord of the Rings but that isn't a question for you to answer).

I think @Yoda 's idea of intent (or the dubs being made as part of the production instead of by the foreign distributor) sounds like a reasonable way to handle the language issue. I think it drops at least a few Argento films like Suspiria off the list but what can you do. Sadly Wikipedia doesn't have as much info about Fulci's films, but I'll try Google something before bringing them up for review.

Does Apocalypto qualify as a foreign language film?

My ballot is in. Le Boom.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I believe it has been previously counted as three separate films so let's stick with that. Vote for the one you like best or all three, that's up to you.

My question was more about if it's a movie or four movies. It was released in four parts between 66 and 67, but then again it won an Oscar as a whole (because of this, I guess it's hard to argue it shouldn't count as one but I still wonder how it differs from The Lord of the Rings but that isn't a question for you to answer).
And my answer was about counting it as one movie, sorry if that wasn't clear. It won awards as a whole, it's listed on imdb as a single entry, so yeah, one very long movie.

Fortunately, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is not eligible for this countdown so I don't have to worry too much about it, but as that has three separate imdb entries and won the Oscar for just one of its parts, I guess it is different.

And my answer was about counting it as one movie, sorry if that wasn't clear. It won awards as a whole, it's listed on imdb as a single entry, so yeah, one very long movie.
One entry it is then, and I'm in agreement.

P.S. Just for the sake of it, War and Peace is also four movies in IMDb (Part I, Part II, Part III, and Part IV)

Excellent, stuff.

So are films like Nosferatu and Vampyr ineligible?
My thinking is that if they originally had intertitles in a language other than English then they should be eligible. I haven't had much input on that so if anyone has any opinions on the eligibility of foreign silents, speak now!

I think Vampyr is at least debatable. If we go with the intention, then it shouldn't count IMO. From Wiki:

Dreyer originally wanted Vampyr to be a silent film, as it uses many elements of the silent era such as title cards to explain the story.[11][14] Dialogue in the film was kept to a minimum.[11] For the scenes with dialogue, the actors mouthed their lines in French, German and English so their lip movements would correspond to the voices that were going to be recorded in post-production.[14] There is no record of the English version being completed.
Then again, it's unclear if the English version was completed, but it certainly was intended as part of the production.

The trick is not minding
I think Vampyr is at least debatable. If we go with the intention, then it shouldn't count IMO. From Wiki:

Then again, it's unclear if the English version was completed, but it certainly was intended as part of the production.
I’m not sure why intention matters. The final result is it was released in a foreign language, so that shouldn’t make it debatable.