MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2021 - Signups

Tools    

I haven't drafted in the middle rounds in a minute. It's so much more engaging! I've gotten Trout more than once so this might be a really interesting draft. Acuna seems to mostly be going number 1 but I've seen Tatis also go first. I have yet to see Trout go number 1. End of an era. And maybe, just maybe he'll have one of his finest seasons on roids. I could really fix him up.

He had a cup of coffee with my team in his rookie season and I haven't come close to getting him since. I'll take him. If not imma gonna get the guy I want at 7 even if Trout's gone. You can't stop me. You can only hope to contain me. That's a really old saying that I just made up!

Was making a special point to get some mocks in, and boy...you just can't. There's just almost nothing but bots in those, at least during the day, when I'm trying to do it in the background of various work tasks. Guess I have to sacrifice my precious evening-and-weekend-time to get something real. Booo.

I usually have pretty good luck getting A full draft. It is pretty crazy how quickly people bail tho. Usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get one going. Seems like a lot of waiting just to make a pick or two. Besides, the later rounds may be even more important than the early rounds. Its usually just a matter of waiting to see who's gonna make it to you early on. But later on? That's when these leagues are won.

Sheesh! Just did a draft where Soto finally fell to me at 7. Then I nabbed Machado, Sherzer, Abreu, Suarez, Voit and Snell. That was just the beginning. Wow. What a mock. Some times the stars align and you get 2 or 3 good guys to choose from at every round. Goodtimes.

I didn't know we could switch spots. How do manage that? What's the point of a random draft order if u can then just switch spots?

I would really love to have the first pick or the last. Anybody want to switch?

I didn't know we could switch spots.
We did the same thing in the previous football season. I'm sure it's come up before then, too, even though it never happened back in the day.

What's the point of a random draft order if u can then just switch spots?
Because the switching has to be agreed on.

Initial order is random because it's the only fair starting point. How would you assign them otherwise? And what would you do if people wanted the same spot?

It never happened because I think most of us assumed we weren't really supposed to switch.
I'd assign the picks the same way just about every sports league does. Whoever wins the league gets last pick second place gets second to last and so on.

The trick is not minding
Hey Fredrick and I have swapped draft slots: he gets 2nd and I take 5th.
Have we not learned our lesson? Don’t accept trades with Yoda! 😜

In All seriousness, what’s the benefit to trading to the fifth position?

I'd assign the picks the same way just about every sports league does. Whoever wins the league gets last pick second place gets second to last and so on.
Leaving aside that those leagues need parity to function in a way fantasy leagues do not, they also do it because the last place team still has the same roster afterwards, so they give them a draft advantage to compensate. The logic there doesn't apply, because we're drafting entirely new teams each year.

In All seriousness, what’s the benefit to trading to the fifth position?
Possibly nothing, but I prefer it (slightly) because I think the gap between the 2nd-best and 5th-best player is fairly small, so I'd rather have a slightly higher 2nd round pick.

This is pretty much the only reason to trade a draft slot: because you have a slightly different opinion about where some early round skill tier ends or begins. There's obviously no consensus here, as evidenced by the fact that I wanted to move AWAY from the edges of the round and PW apparently wants to move towards them.

Make Believe Registered User
For what it's worth not that I ever chime in on here I don't agree with changing spots either. If you were to allow trading of spots I feel like one should give up something for a preferred slot over the other.

Leaving aside that those leagues need parity to function in a way fantasy leagues do not, they also do it because the last place team still has the same roster afterwards, so they give them a draft advantage to compensate. The logic there doesn't apply, because we're drafting entirely new teams each year.
And now we're going down a rabbit hole that doesn't matter. How we get the order really isn't important to me. Really not trying to have some weird argument with you about this. I happen to really like the personal touch you give it.

Up until the last fantasy football season trading picks hadn't happened. I bet if we take a lightning poll we may find that most of us didn't realize that was an option and I think we discussed this a few years back and it was frowned on. Maybe I'm misremembering. Anyway...

Since it seems ok now, I'd like repeat my offer from earlier since it's getting buried.

I got the 7th pick. If you've got the first or the twelfth pick and would like to switch let me know.

My memory, for whatever that's worth, is that we talked about how we couldn't trade picks in just some rounds and not others, since I don't think that's even possible through the site. I dunno if that's what people would be thinking of, but I'm happy to go back and confirm if anyone cares.

Anyway, I'll help you out: Fabulous has the first pick and Tim/Banknotes Harper has the last one. Hope you find a taker.

Yeah, your probably right. I'm probably misremembering. I do smoke a lot of blunts these days. Anyway. I'm perfectly fine with the draft order and how it gets determined. Thanks for the info!