Blade Runner 2049

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
The questions abound, and they're all more frustrating than intriguing. I just feel that if Deckard is a replicant, that leaves a gaping hole of explanation. And what's the resonance supposed to be? People aren't what they seem? We're perhaps more artificial than we would like to believe? I don't know that that's supported by the rest of the film.

I'm dying to hear some other thoughts, so please discuss!
Phil K Dick was a fairly paranoid soul, so it wouldn't be a great surprise if a film riffing on his work suggested humanity should check its programmed rhythms, its ability to be steered by society without realising. To not even trust your own self, but question your own comfortable assumptions and constructed histories (and the intent of others, definitely the intent of others). All those themes would be very him.

You could still take take it as a paean to the idea that conscious (and morality, and love) could emerge from a crucible of universal pain, in beings other than humans, and as such there is some 'universal truth' and redeeming beauty to it.

Mind you, Dick woulda been fine with the tinfoil unicorn just being a tinfoil unicorn too, and a coincidence. The guy played games

i have to say that i am excited about a new film of the same universe, before watching blade runner, i thought maybe this film isnt my cup of tea, but i got it, watched and i was amazed by the vision, of the future, rutger hauer was just superb as the villain, harrison ford with his usual best, i was amazed by every thing about the universe of blade runner, hoping denis villeneuve can give us more of the same, at least nail the atmosphere of the first film.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I'm a big fan of teaser. I've seen it, like, 20 times since its release online.

Villeneuve is capable of crafting mainstream films with artistic sensibilities. He's a capable visual filmmaker, and he has a great eye for tone, characters & narrative. As far as modern directors go, he's probably the best possible choice for this project. His films have a dark, cerebral edge to them - and that's exactly what this sequel needs.

I saw Passengers on Wednesday night and they played the Blade Runner trailer on the big screen beforehand. Woah.

As for whether Deckard is a Replicant or not in Blade Runner 2049, Harrison Ford says finding out is worth the price of ticket. From Entertainment Weekly...
The original Blade Runner, set in a dystopian 2019 Los Angeles, centered around Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a “blade runner” tasked with hunting and “retiring” (i.e. killing) four rogue “Replicants” (human-seeming androids). But in the years since Ridley Scott’s 1982 Sci-Fi classic was released — and, in total, there are seven different versions of the film in existence — there’s been an ongoing debate as to whether or not Rick Deckard himself might be a Replicant.

As it turns out, it’s not just the fans who fight about it, it’s the filmmakers, too. Ridley Scott has long insisted that Deckard is a Replicant. Ford and Blade Runner co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher have just as firmly been in the “No” camp. Earlier this year, while in the middle of production of Blade Runner 2049, director Denis Villeneuve went out to dinner in Budapest with Scott (who conceived of 2049's story with Fancher and serves as executive producer) and Ford, and found himself with a ringside seat for the same argument they’ve been having for the last thirty-four years.

“It was very funny, I must say, to find myself in the literal crossfire of Harrison and Ridley, arguing as to why Deckard should be a Replicant and why he should be human,” says Villeneuve. “As a fan, that’s a dinner I will remember for all my life.” As for whether or not 2049 will settle this debate once and for all, the cast and filmmakers aren’t saying. “I’m happy to censor myself on this one,” Ford says. “I can tell you that it was a question that was of interest to me when we made the first film, and I’m not sure I ever got a straight answer from the people I was working with at that point. I think the answer to your question is worth the price of admission.”

http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/22/blad...ard-replicant/

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As for whether Deckard is a Replicant or not in Blade Runner 2049, Harrison Ford says finding out is worth the price of ticket. From Entertainment Weekly...
Now that's dinner discussion!

(I love the idea that Ford's uncertainty about whether he's human in the film might have helped his portrayal )

He's a solid 2.5-3 director.
I'm going to start rating your ratings...

(This one gets a
)

...(I love the idea that Ford's uncertainty about whether he's human in the film might have helped his portrayal )
Was that stated in the news link that Holden posted? Or did you read that some other place? I read the link from Holden's post and watched the video and I didn't see where Harrison Ford said that.

What I read, was this:
As for whether or not 2049 will settle this debate once and for all, the cast and filmmakers aren’t saying. “I’m happy to censor myself on this one,” Ford says. “I can tell you that it was a question that was of interest to me when we made the first film, and I’m not sure I ever got a straight answer from the people I was working with at that point. I think the answer to your question is worth the price of admission.”
A film made 35 years after the original can't retroactively change the meaning of the original film. Same goes for any of the other remixes of Blade Runner, whatever they say about Deckard's status is only relevant to their specific version of the film and to the original.

What if there was a new remix of the original Star Wars and it made the rebels into terrorist, and made the Empire the good guys...and let's say George Lucas said he had always intended the movie to be that way. Would everyone then start believing that as gospel?

From this statement by Ford, “I’m happy to censor myself on this one,”...it tells me he still believes Deckard was a human, but he's learned not to rock the boat. Ford knows what side his bread is buttered on.

Was that stated in the news link that Holden posted? Or did you read that some other place? I read the link from Holden's post and watched the video and I didn't see where Harrison Ford said that.
This bit:

“I can tell you that it was a question that was of interest to me when we made the first film, and I’m not sure I ever got a straight answer from the people I was working with at that point."

IE even if he was certain in his own mind that the character should be human, there was ongoing debate, and he couldn't know how the director would ultimately frame it. Would at the very least have played on his mind that he should weave the possibility in there.

(I may be crediting Ford with too much range here, but it does feel to me that he hits the most deadpan end of his scale. Possibly he was just going for grumpy neo-Noir, but I could easily believe he was accounting for both interpretations with the performance).

This bit:

“I can tell you that it was a question that was of interest to me when we made the first film, and I’m not sure I ever got a straight answer from the people I was working with at that point."
That doesn't equate into Ford saying this:
...(I love the idea that Ford's uncertainty about whether he's human in the film might have helped his portrayal )
Ford has never said he was uncertain if Deckard was a human in the original Blade Runner. He's always contended that he was.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I don't know why I laughed when I noticed there was a second animated part of that gif.

I'm going to start rating your ratings...

(This one gets a
)
I'm giving you a
rating for your rating of mark's ratings

Never in my entire life have I re-watched a trailer so many times! Blade Runner is one of my all-time favorite films and Ryan Gosling is probably the best actor in Hollywood right now. Denis Villeneuve is not half-bad either, Prisoners was good, Enemy very intriguing, Sicario awesome, Arrival was beautiful but something of a letdown for me. But his overall track-record is quite amazing.

I am literally salivating with anticipation for this film. I may go as far and say that I am more eager for Blade Runner 2, than I am for Star Wars VIII or the new Alien film.

i like all ryan gosling movies, and hope for certainly more of the same with this one.

Villeneuve about his first impressions when he heard a sequel to Blade Runner was being made.

Dammit, I think I'm now genuinely excited for a Blade Runner sequel.

For me it was the sound design/effects of Blade Runner along with the music of Vangelis that made it incredible. I'll certainly give the sequel a fair shake and I'm hoping to enjoy it. As long as I don't try and compare it to the original, it should be that much less offensive. I saw the original at the drive in back in 82'. Saying that it would be a tough act to follow sounds like a joke because it would be so much more than an act to follow. Ford says it's the best script he's read. I wish I hadn't read that. We'll see.