Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Don't got any extras per se on my WotW dvd (just the cinematic trailer but I don't count those as extras myself) but then it's just the bog-standard edition sadly

Don't got any extras per se on my WotW dvd (just the cinematic trailer but I don't count those as extras myself) but then it's just the bog-standard edition sadly
Chyp, the DVD I borrowed from the library had a beautifully restored print of the film. It really looked great! There were many different extras including: A commentary track for the movie by the two stars Ann Robson and Gene Barry. Another commentary track by film historians. Then there was a mini doc on the making of WotW and they interviewed the woman (who with her father) created the Martian...as well as archival interviews with the designer of the Martian ships. And there was another doc about the impact of WotW, with stuff on George Pal and production. So what I'm trying to say is it's a great DVD!

Chyp, the DVD I borrowed from the library had a beautifully restored print of the film. It really looked great! There was many different extras including: A commentary track for the movie by the two stars Ann Robson and Gene Barry. Another commentary track by film historians. Then there was a mini doc on the making of WotW and they interviewed the woman who with her father created the Martian...as well as archival interviews with the designer of the Martian ships. And there was another doc about the impact of WotW, with stuff on George Pal and production. So what I'm trying to say is it's a great DVD!
I'm sure it's absolutely splendifourous - wasn't an option that was available when I bought the film though. There is a Special Collector's Edition I could now buy that has all this as extras:
Commentaries: Audio commentary by actor Gene Barry and actress Ann Robinson
Audio commentary by "fans" Joe Dante, Bob Burns, and Bill Warren
Extras:"The Sky is Falling: Making The War of the Worlds" -documentary (29:58)
"H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction" - featurette (10:28)
"The Mercury Theater on the Air Presents: The War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast" (with stills of Orson Welles - 59:09)
Theatrical trailer (2:19)
12-page Booklet

but tbh I have the film (it's a good copy as well), the trailer and the 1938 radio broadcast (on the CK SE dvd) already so I can't really justify the spend just for commentaries and cpl of shorts.

The irony is I could get all that now for cheaper than I paid years ago for my copy without all the extras

edit: ah f*ck it, 'tis nearly Xmas .... ordered

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

Director: Nicholas Webster
Cast: John Call, Leonard Hicks, Vincent Beck
Genre: Family Comedy Sci-Fi

About
: The Martian's children have the blues so they send a flying saucer to Earth to kidnap Santa Claus so he can make presents and cheer up the little green kids.

Review: Pretty wacky name for the movie, especially as Santa doesn't really conquer the Martians, it's more like he's extra nice to them. Nice is the word This is a nice, Christmas, Sci Fi, Family Comedy movie, suitable for small children. I doubt many adults would like this as it's pretty darn hokey. I was mildly amused by it, but mildly is the key word. Mostly it's worth watching for how bad it is.

I suppose the nicest thing I can say is, the Martian family were really nice to the Earth kids and despite the fact there was a bad Martian who wanted to through the kids out an airlock into space. We find that most Martians are basically nice, but boring people from another planet. Now, Santa Claus is always Santa. He's kind, he's jolly, he loves kids everywhere, even Martian kids. I liked Santa he was great and even though he was kidnapped he never lost the spirit of Christmas. See nice beats mean

Made in 1964, it has two claims to fame: The first appearance of a Mrs. Santa Claus.
The film also marks the first documented appearance of Mrs. Claus in a motion picture, coming three weeks before the TV special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer also featured the character.

And the first movie appearance by a young Pia Zadora. She's one of the Martian's kids.

Can you spot Pia? Hint she looks a little space out! Ha, get it!

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
is often listed as one of the worst movies ever made! Don't believe it! That dubious credit goes to the next film I'm going to review....

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	pior20.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	27803  

Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968)

Director: Peter Bogdanovich (as Derek Thomas)
Cast: Mamie Van Doren, Mary Marr, Paige Lee
Genre: Z budget sci fi
Length: 78 minutes

Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen!...When is a movie not a movie? Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women answers that question. Originally this was a
Soviet Russian film called Planeta bur (1962), it was dubbed into English, had some of the original scenes deleted and new scenes featuring sexy Venusian mermaid women edited in. A voice over narrative tells the personal story of one of the astronauts who falls in love with a Venusian. The voice over is done by a young Peter Bogdanovich who also directed the new material for Roger Corman under the name Derek Thomas.

What results is a misshaped, cut up film that tells a bizarre story none too well. Add to that bad English dubbing and a movie print in such poor shape that the only remaining colors are a sickly green, tinting a blurry image. The photos I used is indicative of the quality, including the odd purple ban down the right side.

I get the feeling the original Soviet film was pretty well done as the stock footage used in this bastardized version shows the Soviet film as one with decent looking space hardware and concepts. It's hard to believe that the very next film that budding director Peter Bogdanovich directed would be
The Last Picture Show (1971).

If you can find a decent print of this movie, it's interesting to watch for historical film reasons.

Some of these films you are watching Citizen, they don't even sound like proper movies. Juxtapose that with a lot of films you have turned off in the first fifteen minutes. I am starting to question your sanity brother.

Ahh...but I'm having so much fun watching them...well not the last two, they were pretty bad.
Do you watch them by yourself? The reason I ask is they seem like they might be fun with someone who would make fun of them with me. I don't feel like I would have fun watching them by myself, could be wrong though.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
That's true. You didn't give Bone Tomahawk a chance, and yet, you can somehow sit through the last two?

Do you watch them by yourself? The reason I ask is they seem like they might be fun with someone who would make fun of them with me. I don't feel like I would have fun watching them by myself, could be wrong though.
Sean, I watch every single movie along with my wife, I never watch a movie by myself. Even all the Hof films, she watches them along with me. Luckily we have more or less the same taste in movies. Though she didn't like the last film. We actually both feel asleep during it. I watched it because it was one of the first films Peter Bogdanovich directed and Venusian babes sounded interesting. and it was free on youtube.

That's true. You didn't give Bone Tomahawk a chance, and yet, you can somehow sit through the last two?
Max, I don't know how to put it into words but Bone Tomahawk in it's opening scene was too strong for me (in a certain way) and along with the dialogue and style of film making I just wasn't interested in it. I find each year that I like even less the new films that are being made. Unless they are period pieces, or bio-pics. I did see Belle (2013) the other night and really liked that one.

Sean, I watch every single movie along with my wife, I never watch a movie by myself. Even all the Hof films, she watches them along with me. Luckily we have more or less the same taste in movies. Though she didn't like the last film. We actually both feel asleep during it. I watched it because it was one of the first films Peter Bogdanovich directed and Venusian babes sounded interesting. and it was free on youtube.

Max, I don't know how to put it into words but Bone Tomahawk in it's opening scene was too strong for me (in a certain way) and along with the dialogue and style of film making I just wasn't interested in it. I find each year that I like even less the new films that are being made. Unless they are period pieces, or bio-pics. I did see Belle (2013) the other night and really liked that one.
I haven't seen it yet but the word of mouth about Love And Friendship has me thinking you should check it out. Your comment just jogged my memory.

I haven't seen it yet but the word of mouth about Love And Friendship has me thinking you should check it out. Your comment just jogged my memory.
I'll check that one out, thanks!

Max, you're a good guy to talk to and you watch a of movies, you should consider joining the next main Hof the 12th. Also there's still time to join the 40s HoF Part 1 hosted.

The Prestige (Nolan, 2006)
Director: Christopher Nolan
Writer: Jonathan Nolan(screenplay)
Cast: Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi

About: In the early 1900's two London stage magicians vie for supremacy with a dangerous game of one-up manship. Each magician strives to do the ultimate illusion, with deadly results.

Review
: If you like Christopher Nolan films with their mysterious existential elements and his highly stylized way of story telling, you should love The Prestige. It works both as a beautifully filmed tale of revenge and jealousy between two top stage magicians....and it has a deep mystery that focuses on who killed who. The movie escalates from a seemingly innocent, yet tragic stage illusion into something much more deadly. True to Nolan's film making style it's a brain twister with several twist and turns, that are interwoven through out the movie.

This is listed as sci-fi, but other than a side story line involving the inventor Tesla played by David Bowie who makes some pretty interesting devices for the stage, it's basically a highly charged drama mystery.

The two leads, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman did a fantastic job of being likeable, yet arrogant and driven by their hatred for each other. Neither are nice people and as the film states, to make it to the top the magician has to be able to get his hands dirty...and dirty they get!

The other notable actor in this is Scarlet Johansson who does more than just look great in her stage costume. She's the linchpin between the two adversaries and acts as a romantic catalyst...and adds a mystery to what her true intentions are.

The Prestige seems to have it all.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-08-07 06-23-30.png
Views:	81
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	80017  

Max, you're a good guy to talk to and you watch a of movies, you should consider joining the next main Hof the 12th. Also there's still time to join the 40s HoF Part 1 hosted.
Thanks. As for the HoFs, I'm not looking for that kind of long-term commitment right now, but thanks.

Have you already seen The Illusionist (2006)?

Thanks. As for the HoFs, I'm not looking for that kind of long-term commitment right now, but thanks.

Have you already seen The Illusionist (2006)?
No I haven't, but thanks for recommending it, sounds good to me so I just now requested it from my library. I'll probably review it in a week or two. Did you like it?

No I haven't, but thanks for recommending it, sounds good to me so I just now requested it from my library. I'll probably review it in a week or two. Did you like it?
Yes, enough to own it on DVD.

Aha, so glad you got to Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women before I did as now I know not to bother

I remember enjoying The Prestige - I skipped The Illusionist too as they were oft talked about in the same breath ... looks like I should give that one a whirl at some point in the future too then.

For Rules or anyone else interested... I just came across this YouTube video (it's over an hour long!) but it was kind of a coincidence since it contains some of the movies you recently reviewed.