MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

It also may have Jerry Goldsmith's most-exciting and avant-garde musical score.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to comment on that! I loved the score a lot, very different and extremely fitting for this film.

Yes, my parents took me to see it at the movies when I was 11.
Damn, it would most likely be a favorite of mine too if I had experienced it at an early age, and even better, at the time of release!

I enjoy the original Planet of the Apes series... the remakes are decent but I prefer the originals... there are just something unique about them for the time period. My brother used to have the action figures. I remember those as well.. he was always having them hang our barbies or something like that...

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
133 .......................... 123

May 1st

—— 1992 ——
The Last of the Mohicans
—— adventure ——

I don’t think I have ever watched this film, but I have always wanted to,
especially for the time period and Daniel Day-Lewis in the central role

But I must admit that I was rather disappointed with this. I actually loved the opening to the film, where the great soundtrack got to expand together with a gorgeous sequence of a haunting chase on foot, taking place in the beautiful scenery of the forest. But as soon as the characters had their true moments of screen time, I noticed that I never really cared about them, because the dialogue and character development were so poorly done. You would think that because the characters were boring to follow, then the action scenes and beautiful set pieces could make up for that, but no. Well, the set pieces and naturalistic scenery was indeed beautiful to look at most of the time, but a bad movie doesn’t become great because you chose to film it in beautifully distracting environments…

But the action did not make up for anything. This film has that type of action, which makes you feel so distanced to what is happening. There is a lot of wide shots present, and when we finally get close-ups, it is just of people getting blown up or something like that. It was really missing an emotional core, which didn’t happen in any shape or form until the end of it all. I definitely think the film has potential, but it is far from greatly executed in my opinion. The direction is hectic and all over the place, the action and even the characters are distancing and flat to look at. The sound design was pretty good, and I loved the soundtrack, but pretty much everything else wasn’t really worth my time to be honest.

May 2nd

—— 1947 ——
Fun and Fancy Free
—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.9

I honestly can’t believe that Disney dived determinedly all the way into animation mediocracy,
in the hope of this poor habit of moviemaking may some day stick

This clip collective chaos is beginning to drive me nuts, not only because of being tired of watching what seems like leftover materials most of the time, but just that this feature film strategy never really worked in the first place either. Once again has Disney taken some short films, then crammed them all into a feature length animation, and lastly strung them awkwardly together with stilted narration, or even worse, live-action… Why did Disney keep on insisting that it was a brilliant idea to blend their beautifully animated set pieces together with flat and uninteresting live-action?

The first short in this film, coming after a rather forgettable introductory piece, is a love story with a circus bear as the main character. It is a fairly cute and harmful story, but it really lacks impact and creativity. Overall it feels quite dull actually. The second story is a classic one; it is Mickey and the Beanstalk! But you know what, this is not a version where the animation and story gets to shine… Instead we got some horrible narration with stupid off-screen characters delivering stupid off-putting dialogue. I think The Giant in this one is stupid and pathetically done, but that doesn’t mean it isn't eventually beautifully animated, and contains Disney’s famous trio of characters with the last ever performance by Walt Disney himself as Mickey Mouse.

Even though I have suffered through some stinkers by going through Disney’s classic catalogue chronologically, I ultimately find it significantly rewarding in the long run, because I get to see Disney and the general state of animation evolve over time. I become introduced to various changes of style and most importantly the revolution in animation itself. That said, I must say that the animation in ‘Fun and Fancy Free’ is definitely a clear improvement in terms of detail and richness. I definitely noticed a change here, which of course evolve directly into upcoming classics like ‘Cinderella’, ‘Alice in Wonderland’, ‘Peter Pan’ and others…

-

The Last of the Mohicans would have been a film I would have looked forward to a couple of years ago, but the more and more I hear about it and read what people think, the less interesting it becomes.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
136 .......................... 126

May 3rd

—— 2015 ——
Avengers: Age of Ultron
—— comic book ——
REWATCH

I'm working on my full review of this as we speak...

N/A

HIS FILM DIARY 2015

May 4th

—— 1988 ——
Rambo III
—— action ——

Who knew that the most hated entry in the Rambo franchise,
would end up as my favorite one so far?

The majority of people prefer the more down-toned approach of the first entry, while a few tend to talk about the second film as the definitive one from this franchise because of being more action-packed and ultimately a better and stronger film than the first… But somehow, there seem to only be a handful of people, who view the third entry as the best of the bunch, and I find myself wondering why. Because in all seriousness, it is the most comfortably crazy and power-packaged picture in the franchise, which doesn’t hold anything back when the testosterone explodes during the last third of the film. This is the kind of John Rambo I always saw on the screen – even during the first film – but only here it is more obvious than ever and doesn’t try and cover anything up.

I thought the first one was fairly good entertainment, but it was too stupid to be taking as seriously as it wanted to be, and the character of John Rambo was both written and acted in way, that completely contradicts with a real war veteran and their individual moves and methods to survive and do problem solving. I just didn’t buy into it, and when the second film came along it felt like it was going in the right direction, but ultimately fell flat for its frantic direction, terrible screenplay and laughable editing… The third film, however, while having an embarrassing forced message of some sort (kind of like Rocky IV), it works great as an action film and, in my honest opinion, a proper development of the Rambo character. His everyday lifestyle seems believable and better portrayed; his reasons for going on a mission seem plausible and ultimately believable; and the execution of it all is a blast by the end of it. But for all the action I felt like this definitely had better dialogue than the second film as well, even though some might disagree here, mainly because it has become a bad habit to do so when this entry gets a little praise.

I loved all of the set pieces in this film; the action was far more creative and delivered “dead-on” with no mercy or time for sappy dialogue or cringe-worthy middle pieces, while the tension of it was surprisingly effective. I also loved how Colonel Trautman finally got some more screen time, and it made for a great rescue mission in the spirit of true war veteran loyalty. I guess the film ultimately falls in the category of guilty pleasures, but still I can’t deny that I genuinely loved this. I thought it was a fit for Rambo, both character and story-wise, to do what he did and act like he did in this film. And, of course, the big budget “money show” gets to shine for every penny when the wide-ranging action bombs away at your screen! I’m ever so ready for the fourth Rambo film, though I already watched it back when it came out. I barely remember it though, since I was like 13... But Stallone and buckets of blood is always a good combo…

HIS FILM DIARY 2015

May 5th

—— 1979 ——
Time After Time
—— sci-fi ——
EXTENDED REVIEW

This was one of those nominations where I had no idea what to expect, but judging only from the poster and short synopsis, it seemed like a dark and unnerving concept made into family friendly entertainment that wasn’t afraid of proudly presenting its rating of the ‘parental guidance’ lightweight category...

In the end of it all though, I guess I was both right and wrong with this statement. The way the film starts out seems to almost have a giallo-inspired horror vibe to it, which wouldn’t be far from the truth considering the fact that the genre was at its peak in the 70s. I don’t intend this to be a genuine comparison, but more like how it just reminded me of it. Anyways, I should probably tell you how I liked the opening instead… I must say I thought it was rather terrible to be honest. It seemed like a cheaply executed opener to get the audience excited on a heartbeat, which didn’t at all succeed for me. I was more searching for my own heartbeat during the scene, quickly tapping it a few times to assure I wasn’t die of boredom. But overstatements aside, the overall idea for an opener was fine, because we should of course be introduced to the storyline, to some extent, right from the beginning.

Following the opening we get an introductory scene for the characters, which only ends up being two of them who are actually important to this story, not that it matters though. What I’m really getting at here, is that I didn’t actually like the first fifteen minutes or so. It felt weird to open the film with a grisly scene, and then turn it the other way around in terms of mood and atmosphere, even glancing over a time machine that looked like one of those children’s “coin-to-ride-machines”, which are always placed next to a supermarket or something, usually with a screaming kid inside too. Only, I was the kid screaming of frustration because this film wasn’t going all sorts of places, and we haven’t even travelled through time yet! But anywaysm here is the short answer about that damn time machine; the design of it looked cheap and the following special effects even cheaper, which actually felt more dated than it should for the time this film was made.

But despite of a very disappointing beginning, I have to say that this film only got better as time passed by, which almost seems like an odd coincidental pun but it is true... As the actual time travel sequence finally began, I was brought back to Kubrick’s remarkable yet lengthy “coloristic confusion” in 2001: A Space Odyssey from a decade prior. Still this sequence worked fine on its own, and both as homage and as a nice independent touch as well. When it comes down to the actual story of the film, I must say I found it quite unique and strangely addicting. I love the concept of someone traveling through time to stop a vicious killer from spreading fear and death over several decades. And I guess it was both a good and bad idea to take two real-life individuals – each famous/notorious for totally different things – and then adding them, surprisingly lighthearted, into this time-travel-romance of entertainment and love.

Yes indeed believe it or not, this is also a romantic story about complicated love, which just seems decades apart, yet so incredibly close to heart that they have to make it work, but really can’t, and then can eventually, and so on; you know the drill… I do intend to leave a little sarcasm and slight criticism here, though the love story isn’t too bad actually. I liked certain elements of it, especially for the fine acting performances. I loved the performance given by the one and only Malcolm McDowell, while Mary Steenburgen might actually be one of the cutest single women to ever step onto the big screen... I usually don’t find woman that attractive in older movies, but Steenburgen was awfully cute!

Overall I definitely this film, and I was very entertained by the comedic elements of H.G. Wells being introduced to the everyday life of the 1970s; it brings forward some very amusing sequences, though this is rather “easy comedy”, so to speak, if you know what I mean. It isn’t exactly hard to find amusing stuff with a great laugh value, when you act out a concept like this? But it works for the most part, despite running a little dry towards the end. Neither did I like how the film was willing to try and create a somewhat happy ending, even though it pretty much goes against both the characters of the film and the story, and is quite predicable as well. Whatever though, I was greatly entertained for the most part!

I haven't watched The Last of the Mohicans in a few years, but I really enjoyed it the few times I saw it.

As much as I love First Blood, I never had interest in the sequels.

I haven't watched The Last of the Mohicans in a few years, but I really enjoyed it the few times I saw it.

As much as I love First Blood, I never had interest in the sequels.
I understand, they have nothing to do with the original really... whole different style and approach.

I have to return some videotapes.
WHERE DA AVENGERS REVIEW AT?

I kid. I kid.

I've never seen any of the First Blood sequels either.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
139 .......................... 129

May 6th

—— 2006 ——
Children of Men
—— sci-fi ——
EXTENDED REVIEW

"Everything is a mythical, cosmic battle
between faith and chance..."

The film starts out like a distinctive dystopian doomsday presentation, which is frequently used in various other futuristic films or genre-orientated concepts that revolves around the end of the world, as we know it. So despite eventually developing into something undeniably unique, the opening is your typical universal introduction to a global chaos phenomenon, where the importance of showing the social situation is placed high on the cinematic checklist… The great thing about this though, is that the film merely needs to scratch the very surface of its runtime, and yet still succeed in presenting an appropriate and detailed view directly into a world, which has been gradually collapsing for several years prior to this. The basic story illustrates a world, where the human race has suddenly become unable to have children, which therefore leaves the entire world stuck in a massive limbo, awaiting the inescapable death of every last person on earth.

What this creates is essentially a world lost of all hope and faith in the future existence of a better living - or simply any form of living – wherein the only hope they have got right now, is placed upon something that isn’t much more than a pathetic thought or a false comfort. Referring here, of course, to the blown-up scenario of the sudden death of Baby Diego, the youngest person on the entire planet. But in a world with no hope in sight, a little bit of optimism is really all that is needed to shine some light in the darkest of days. Showing the entire world in a state of emotional shock, because of their very last hopeful thought has died together with Baby Diego, this truly demonstrates exactly how little was needed to affect the entire population, and to this degree as well. Diego was never able to carry on the human legacy by himself anyways, but with hope in short supply you will do anything to hold on to just the slightest resemblance of hope – and not until that hope has died out will you ever give up believing and praying for a better tomorrow, though there is always a chance that a miracle might some day happen… This setup further helps the story to realistically set up the “sensational pregnancy” later in the film, where a woman has miraculously become pregnant, and could possibly be the long awaited answer to the future of mankind...

But of course this film is not only about showing whether or not there is or isn’t any hope present in the story, it is also one of the greatest dystopian depictions of a gritty and filthy future ever made in cinema. The amount of detail is spectacular and the realistic approach is a frighteningly accurate expansion of today’s society. We are shown everything from the paranoid and desperate living of human beings, the state of immigration and emigration alike, the rise of rebels and local religious and political wars, the government’s suspicious involvement in various legal and illegal activities, as well as their desperate, drastic and lethal measures to keep a sinking world afloat…. No wonder people are losing their minds. But of course, all this can shine ever so brightly in the script or in the novel that it is based upon, without ever reaching a visual presentation in respect of the source material. Thankfully, the combination of a brilliant and creative director and a masterful and ideal cinematographer, this is a match made in heaven of a world created in hell. The raw and gritty atmosphere is intensely presented using several long-takes and an impressive hand-held stylistic approach. Emmanuel Lubezki's work as director of photography is always gorgeous eye candy, especially his flair for lighting a scene; in particular his expert use of the sun, both as a natural source of light and as a direct focal point for the frame… However you may put it, the visuals are definitely a key element to this film, whether it is purely as a striking feast for the eyes or as a representational extension of the storyline and its further development towards a climax.

In order to create a nicely rounded conclusion to this review, I might as well cast a quick point of view on a previous discussion, concerning whether or not the ending of this film was hopelessly inevitable, and if that in any way ruin or contradict with the film and its story… First off, it is obvious that whatever you opinion of the ending might be, it is totally acceptable to have such opinion – negative or positive. Second, I do indeed think that the ending to some extent is hopeless, but it doesn’t at all goes against what the film has been saying for basically its entire runtime. It may feel completely hopeless to us, but to them every bit of hope counts. Ever since its opening shots of a destructive downfall for society, and more importantly, since the death of the youngest person alive on earth, the world has been feeling pretty much doomed, with the human race hopelessly left to slowly go into its ultimate extinction. At least that is how every single human on earth thinks at that point – except for those few still believing. ‘Children of Men’ is kind of bittersweet in a way, because the future of the human race is indeed rather hopeless, but in a world with no hope in sight, a little miracle like that of a newborn is all they need to ignite it.

It may all be hopeless to us, but the birth of the baby acts more like a symbol of hope for people who haven't seen the shadow of it in a long time... The film is supposed to illustrate a world falling apart – in fact it has already done so many years ago – and then this miracle comes along and lights up the very soul of everyone around; even though this was a miracle too late, and the main characters are pretty much on a journey into uncertainty. Furthermore, all this also shows the common and current state of people's minds, and where they are in time, because to them, every little light is a shining hope in this dark and sinister world. It shows what they are essentially willing to do, and where they are willing to go because of it.

In the end though, I think it cinematically succeeds in delivering something I personally think is both powerful and thought provoking. The ending itself may be a little depressing in some ways, but you could say that it symbolizes hope present in a hopeless world. So however you may view the film and ending, you might see yourself resigning with one side or the other. So in a very simplified explanation, this film can be both hopeful and hopeless – it depends on how you define hope and whom you eventually assign it to…

Master of My Domain
I second what Swan said. Good review as always.

Just noticed, 2006 was a great year for cinema. Pan's Labyrinth, Babel, The Lives of Others, and Children of Men.

I second what Swan said. Good review as always.

Just noticed, 2006 was a great year for cinema. Pan's Labyrinth, Babel, The Lives of Others, and Children of Men.
I need to see Babel.

MM, great review on Children of Men... I remember seeing that in the theatre....

MM, great review on Children of Men... I remember seeing that in the theatre....
Damn how lucky you were! I wish it was me.

I can always pray for a re-premiere some day though!

Damn how lucky you were! I wish it was me.

I can always pray for a re-premiere some day though!
Well Im sure I have seen far more movies in cinema since I am older