A (Bad) Sonnet to 30

Tools    

Oh, 30. How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.
I loathe thee to the dark and deep and dank
Place in my life: the utter reaches of life's other bank
That marks the end of Youth and Innocence.
I loathe thee without recompense.
Yet on thou cometh, and hope rising, sank.
I loathe thee with resignation, as I walk the Aged Plank.
I loathe thee with regret, as men wish for more time.
I loathe thee with the impulsiveness untamed
In my youth, and with a laundry list of things To Do Before 30.
I loathe thee with a fear so common, yet unnamed
That I'll be this forever - I loathe thee for catching me unready
To pass this watermark! - and if God be blamed
For time? I shall try to not fear thee so.

based on EBB's Sonnet from the Portuguese #XLII

http://www3.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/l...nttheways.html

30... I'll be 30 in four years. Oh my GAWD, four years!

And then I'll be 10 years away from 40... 20 from 50!

TWENTY YEARS until I am 50 years old.... 24 right now... that'll go by fast, unless I die somehow before then (pray not).

Old people, what should I do?

Happy New Year from Philly!

Old people, what should I do?
Just don't bitch about how old you are at thirty to them or they will hit you with their canes and bite you leaving their false teeth in your tender young flesh.

Originally Posted by beelzebubbles
Just don't bitch about how old you are at thirty to them or they will hit you with their canes and bite you leaving their false teeth in your tender young flesh.
It wouldn't be the first time.

Mack, Sexy Celebrity, beelzebubbles, you poor little dears--life is going to be such a surprise to you when you finally get old enough to enjoy it. Like in your 40s when you finally have your family raised and gone and you've established a career and have the money and time to really enjoy yourself without saving for the kids' school clothes or driving them to soccer practice. You'll fly instead of drive, dine instead grab a burger, and learn that Budweiser really isn't a very good beer compared with what else is on the market. Saturday night dates turn into weekends with sophisticated lovers. Your 50s are still fun, and 60 today is the new 50. When I was 63, I didn't have a cane or a walker--I had a wife and two mistresses. But I've matured some in the last 3 years and now am very happy to spend my time with just one fabulous woman. And I still have all of my own teeth, finely capped and sparkling.

And then there's the grandkids who think you're wonderful because you spend time listening and talking with them, take them interesting places, buy them special gifts, always take their side in spats with their parents, and then you load them up with sugar and send them home!

Your teens are full of anxieties and pimples. In your 20s you're trying to make the grade and prove yourself and flopping from one disappointing relationship to another. Your 30s you take your place in society, buy a home, raise a family, climb the corporate ladder. But your 40s, 50s, 60s--ahhh, your time is mostly your own, and you don't have to prove a damn thing anymore.

You know what? I really wish people wouldnt pretend they didnt (or wont) wig our about turning 30 - at the time, at the very least. I consider myself pretty down to earth, and frankly - the idea of turning 30 hasnt been something that truly bothered me. Until about now, actually.

Unfortunately, quite a few of my friends turn 30 this year as well. One in particular (lets call her, oh... "Diva no. 1") decided that to mark the occasion, she would fly in her friends from all over the country and celebrate her 30th in the same fashion as very wealthy people celebrate their...well.....wedding receptions. Complete with required reservations, etc! Her mother (who is a wedding planner in our circles) told me in passing to make sure we all made the RSVP list to be allowed to come. I wont suggest that we are close - in youth there was no love lost between us girls and them girls. These days, we are .... fondly acquainted (fond being arms length). Most of our friends are mutual, and since we've known each other since grade school, me and all my sisters were invited. Ok. I'll give them that they know how party - so it goes without saying that we were all angling to make it. Somehow, I failed to make the RSVP by the date - ok, actually I was puking up my guts/not going out of the house sick, and completely forgot to "officially" call and RSVP - nevermind that I specifically told the mom IN PERSON that we'd be there. By the time the party rolls around, none of us really want to go, but I've told the mom we'd come, though I havent officially RSVP'd. So the sisters make me check to make sure we arent standing anyone up if we dont go, and that we arent crashing if we do go.

So, I contact the little sister (let's call her Diva #2) who is in all actuality my little sisters age, which approx 1.4yrs younger than me and her older sister Diva #1. Long story short, Little Diva #2 tells me she checked with her mother, and that we're not on the list and shouldnt come. Cool? Cool - everyone's happy, no one's pissed. On the day of the party, hours in advance of it starting, the mom calls everyone of us, telling us that we totally couldve come, and please come. Bottom line, we're all still sick, so we dont go.

To top it all off, Diva's 1 & 2 then cruise the world for a ridiculous length of time, and come back regaling us all with the story.

So basically.......she married herself, had the reception, and then the honeymoon. Only thing she's missing is the man!

Now I have any number of our friends calling me and asking me what I am going to do for my 30th. Good GOD!

Top that off, no less than 6 of my friends got married this year, and a 7th is now engaged and working her way to the altar faster then he can (literally) build their house.

I am actually happy for all of my recently married friends, and in truth, I dont begrudge the Diva #1 for her gift to herself. She's actually become a nicer person, and this is nothing new for he - its just the person she is and how she does things. But the bottom line is that it doesnt make it any easier for me, or the rest of us. All it did was narrow down the scrutiny to a greater focal point, and up the pressure. You know. The Pressure.

Then it went from bad to worse. The little sister, Diva #2, turns 29 this year, and in October. We often discuss how our birthdays are in the same month. So now, not to be outdone by her sister, she goes and plans a ridiculously large party for herself to celebrate her "last year in her 20s" , when we all know with that family, she's going to be celebrating her 30th as well.

The kicker? She planned her bash on my actual birthday. And invited every single one of our mutual friends. Except me, I mean. Yep. That's the thing. I'm a forgiving person, and I wanted to believe that it was a minor oversight, but the planning of her "29th" on my "30th" and the systematic invitation to every single person in our circle, save me or my sisters was a slap in the face. Then she goes and says "if she forgot anyone" the invited people can invite others, so in this way, she can continue to be considered a nice person.

And she did this in early September, so since I hadnt planned anything yet, every single one of our friends accepted.

You know. I'm a firm believer that a person can choose to be or not be offended, specifically when someone is intending to offend them. You can walk away. I can be an impulsive person, but my sisters told me to walk away, so I walked away. In order to preserve our friendship, I pretended that I didnt get it, and to this day we still chat as if nothing is a problem.

Cool, right? Not cool. She then goes on Facebook and openly puts as her status that as of October 1, she is celebrating her birthday, all month long. (Of this, I am a fan, and I do it often, so that's not the problem.) She then goes on to publicly say that "someone" came to her and asked her (jokingly, I suppose), whether or not other people could manage to get their real birthdays out of the way before she trampled all over them and made the month about herself. She went to say, in so many words: "ABSOLUTELY NOT. ITS ABOUT ME."

So that's where I am. Pressured, contemplative, and a little pissed off.

Pressured because my friends are accomplishing life steps that I havent, and I can feel the scrutinizing (or, egads pitying?) eyes of everyone tsk, tsking over me.

Contemplative, because I'm not sure how I feel about this milestone - ambivalent, really, and so I'm not yet sure how I want to celebrate it: quietly, or with a bash.

Pissed. REALLY pissed, because, maybe I am slow about it, but I would have liked to have had the opportunity to choose for myself how I wanted to bring in 30 - and now its been chosen for me. I get to celebrate my 30th watching a friend celebrate her 29th, and you know what? She's going to do the same thing next year ANYWAY. (I'm actually not that pathetic, and am going to do my own thing, but now, because of her, I'll no other friends in attendance.)

It all makes 30 suck that much the more. For me, it is a year that will go down obscurity, and in what seems these days to be the perpetual shadow of others. And while I realize that others have to have their day in the sun (and I have enough humility to know this is only right), since I'm taking stock of my life so far, I have to ask myself if this isnt the story of my life? To be disrespected, shoved aside and trampled on by others?

The adage for Mack, at 30: Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Some people would sum it up in two words.

I hated when I turned 20, 30 was like the death of my youth, 40 was just a few days ago, but lord when the body comes into play it makes a diff. I think I had my midlife crisis when I was 25 or so and it is still a crisis, I am serious. I feel about as old now as I did when I reached that 1/4 of a centry mark. Oh well one day I might admit that I am old, but for now I just wanna watch football and play basketball.

Well, hey, at least youre honest!

Originally Posted by rufnek
Like in your 40s when you finally have your family raised and gone and you've established a career and have the money and time to really enjoy yourself without saving for the kids' school clothes or driving them to soccer practice. You'll fly instead of drive, dine instead grab a burger, and learn that Budweiser really isn't a very good beer compared with what else is on the market. Saturday night dates turn into weekends with sophisticated lovers.
As a gay man, I don't see myself with a family by the time I'm 40. I don't see soccer practice, school clothes and I definitely don't see Budweiser. Weekends with sophisticated lovers sounds kinda fun, but I would rather just have one lover, and a "sophisticated" one sounds like a 63 year old sugar daddy to me.

I don't want kids -- I can barely take care of myself. I don't have any yearnings to be a parent. If an attractive, non-butch lesbian woman wants my seed, and I don't have to provide any money to the kid, send the contract and the cup to me and you've got a deal. But that's it.

But I do fear my future right now because I don't have the dream job I want, nor do I have the partner anymore... and the front of my hair is starting to go next. I'm scared of a possible partner #2 because I don't wanna spend years with a person again only to have it totally ruined and over, yet I'm excited about the possibilities. But who will I choose? Is there someone else out there?

I don't wanna be one of those gay men who ages alone and becomes an "intellectual" on some silly subject like Judy Garland movies -- although, in my case, it'll probably be Jake Gyllenhaal. I don't wanna turn into a Truman Capote or someone like that. If I'm still chatting away here at Movie Forums when I'm 45 and I'm still single, hunt me down and shoot me dead. Nothing wrong with this place, I just don't wanna turn into a lonely, single, gay movie fan.

Your 50s are still fun, and 60 today is the new 50. When I was 63, I didn't have a cane or a walker--I had a wife and two mistresses.
Oh, god, I've got an aunt that's just like that -- but hers aren't mistresses.

But I've matured some in the last 3 years and now am very happy to spend my time with just one fabulous woman. And I still have all of my own teeth, finely capped and sparkling.
For some reason, I picture you as Jack Nicholson now.

As a gay man, I don't see myself with a family by the time I'm 40. I don't see soccer practice, school clothes and I definitely don't see Budweiser. Weekends with sophisticated lovers sounds kinda fun, but I would rather just have one lover, and a "sophisticated" one sounds like a 63 year old sugar daddy to me.

I don't want kids -- I can barely take care of myself. I don't have any yearnings to be a parent. If an attractive, non-butch lesbian woman wants my seed, and I don't have to provide any money to the kid, send the contract and the cup to me and you've got a deal. But that's it.
I know gay couples who have children (my cousin and her spouse for one) and I know straight couples who don't, either by choice or problems with conception. I know single people (some may be gay) without kids of their own who have great times with their nieces and nephews. I've also known women and men who were sophisticated in their 40s, their 50s, and their 60s--whether that sophistication extended to their love life, I don't know--especially the guys.

I'm scared of a possible partner #2 because I don't wanna spend years with a person again only to have it totally ruined and over, yet I'm excited about the possibilities. But who will I choose? Is there someone else out there?

I don't wanna be one of those gay men who ages alone and becomes an "intellectual" on some silly subject like Judy Garland movies -- although, in my case, it'll probably be Jake Gyllenhaal. I don't wanna turn into a Truman Capote or someone like that. If I'm still chatting away here at Movie Forums when I'm 45 and I'm still single, hunt me down and shoot me dead. Nothing wrong with this place, I just don't wanna turn into a lonely, single, gay movie fan.
I think a person who is balanced and likes himself and his lifestyle can be alone without being lonely. Personally I've never worried about being alone. A lady astrologist told me long ago, "If you have attracted love once, you can always attract it again." I don't believe in astrology, but I thought that made good sense. I've never been one to give up on love, so therefore I've seldom been without it. It's like dancing with strangers--first few you ask to dance may turn you down, but if you don't give up, you'll eventually find a partner. Then you get a chance to demonstrate your moves. And if you're any good, others notice and you rarely ever get another refusal. Romance is about 90% confidence to get started, and then paying attention to your partner to keep going. Main thing is don't hang back. That's for losers. You sit home and wait for love to come knocking at the door and you will die lonely.

For some reason, I picture you as Jack Nicholson now.
I've got more hair than Nicholson and don't color it. I think my smile is more attractive. And I rarely wear shades, all the better for eye contact.

I hated when I turned 20, 30 was like the death of my youth, 40 was just a few days ago, but lord when the body comes into play it makes a diff. I think I had my midlife crisis when I was 25 or so and it is still a crisis, I am serious. I feel about as old now as I did when I reached that 1/4 of a centry mark. Oh well one day I might admit that I am old, but for now I just wanna watch football and play basketball.
Inside I still feel much the way I did when I was 17. I've never been much for sports other than rodeos and motorcycle racing.

Originally Posted by rufnek
A lady astrologist told me long ago, "If you have attracted love once, you can always attract it again."
Yeah, she told me the same thing -- her name is Rachel, right? -- so, I said, "Okay, Rache, are in the mood for steak or seafood?" Well, she wanted both, which was fine by me, because I like eating both, anytime of the day.

Well, we went out for steak and seafood every night for the rest of the week... then she got sick of it... then after another week, she got sick of me... then after another week, she got sick of the sex... I think me throwing up a chunk of beefy shrimp on her back had something to do with it.

There was an attraction between us, but it was soon demagnetized.

The People's Republic of Clogher
30 hit me like a punch to the gut. But it woke me up.

It wasn't any of this 'unfulfilled youth' stuff because I had a great life, all things considered, and never envisioned myself doing anything differently. That things f***ed up somewhat soon after was not 30's fault.

It's just that the days stretching out in front of me seemed a little less sunny, a little shorter. Hard to describe but I went into a major fug for what seemed like months.

Everyone talks about how 30 changes your life.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

What does 26 do? I'm turning that in a month!