True Blood

Tools    

I'm like the opposite, Pyro. I loved season 1 a whole hell of a lot more than what's been in season 2 so far. I hate this new christian Jason, it just doesn't fit his character. I also hate the whole sub-plot with Maryann, she's a plain annoying character. The only thing that I think has really improved from season 1 is where they've taken Bill and Sookie. They've only gotten more interesting since season 2 started.

Eh, i think they've got themselves settled, like most TV shows the second season is often the best where they've introduced all the aspects and can take it where they want to go. The season story arch is far more interesting than a simple whodunnit. Granted, i liked Terra when she was more sassy and Lafayette has only just come back so don't know where they'll take his character. As for Jason, at the end of last season and everything that happened I think you can let him be a clean slate to have a slight character change. Agree that a vampire hater doesn't seem right but he isn't totally in on that, last ep i saw he walked out. Imagine that it will be quite an interesting conclusion to it. Though, my guess is the leader killed his father and Jason hooks up with his wife.

Bit hesitant on them introducing werewolves as more than reference, if they indeed do.

Just finally caught up with season 2. LOVE this show. Going back in time with Bill was a bit too Angel but loving the Twin Peaks vibe mixed with vamps

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
It was going back in time with Eric, that I saw. Eric so far has looked like a romance novel cover model. He is supposed to be scary, as is Pam. So far, people have mostly disrespected him. I wasn't happy with that because it's going to dilute the story later on if you don't get the shock of his being terrifying for most of the show and then see his better side.

I liked going back in time with him. It showed him as more of a person than a cliche'.

Also I love that Jason is more of a person this season. I was sick of him just having the sex scenes of the week and being a dysfunctional jerk. He is still dysfunctional but the writers are giving him more layers now. He wants to be good. He wants to be the hero. He just has no way of knowing how to do that so he is searching.

If he would work with his sister, they could be a great team but neither of them wants to or can, function well together.

Well, i'd have said it looks like they're aiming at Jason and Sookie teaming up now they're in the same place. I'm hoping that Church minister guy has some beefy secret to him. Liking how Eric is coming along, in the first season i never really bought him as a Sheriff- more just some club owner now he seems to be doing some stuff and have some power.

I agree with you.

BTW, I watched the last show that has been broadcast today. It had the Bill flashback. I see what you mean about it being Angel-ish.

True Blood is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. But I'm getting tired of trying to guess what the deal is with Marryann. I want to know what she is already. I probably would if I had read the books, but I haven't.

I agree with you about wanting to know what she is. I've read the books. I don't remember her in them. I'm guessing that she is a TV add on, a very interesting one.

Hey, who killed Laura Palmer? Give all the answers and we've got no mystery and the way it's going what she's doing is just as interesting as what she is

SPOILERS ARE RIFE.

omg. the scene where jessica bites hoyts mother? BEST. TRUEBLOOD SCENE. EVER!!!!

good god this season is great. man, they seriously departed from the book storyline, so anyone who is holding off reading the book for fear it will "spoil" something - no need. you'll get a basic outline of what could happen, and a general framework for the progression of the plots, but as of this season, ALL bets are off, and fasten your seatbelts baby, because the train has left the tracks!

second best scene so far? the scene when the big, scary viking Eric cries about Godric. heartbreaking! Good lord that man can act. I even shed a tear, but of course, Im a softie. Father, Brother, Son. great stuff.

back to playing catch up. trying to get to the part where they take out the crazy orgy lady. Who DIDNT know from jump that they were going to tie her to Bacchus? As soon as she mentioned that the "gods are nearer than we think these days" that was the first name that came to mind, only to be confirmed by her wild parties, capriciousness and love of chaos.

I wonder if its Sookie's "other" gift in the books that comes into play here - if so, then she needs to beat that chick down. Preferably immediately. And here's betting that Bill has to go find Lorena to get the answer on beating maryann. How much you wanna bet that Lorena has already killed herself, though?

ok, dont tell. I'll find out in short shrift.

word of the season? EXCESS.

in some ways i was right, in others so very wrong! i cant believe they left us hanging like that! on another note, this show has evolved into a completely different beast than the books. Charlaine Harris can now pen Sookie books in safety. However, I read something alarming the other day: apparently she actually is around the show, discusses things with the actors, and .....takes part in the development???

PLEASE. NO. *shakes head vigorously*

now. we all know that Charlaine Harris is the diluted version of Laurell K. Hamilton, with Anita Blake, and her Louisiana being the much badder, much darker version of Sookie Stackhouse (actually in real time, Anita being the precursor to Sookie) and her world of vamps, tramps, and anything else that goes bump in the night. however, lets deal with reality.

here's reality. HBO is making Sookie Stackhouse and the "Dead" storyline into something Charlaine Harris never could have, and never would have dreamed in her wildest imagination. because let's face it folks - has anyone here ever READ Harris' books? if you have, you may have noticed that the characters are ridiculously cookie-cutter, as though Harris went and read a book on archetypal character patterns, and plugged them into her story one after another. To top that off, the books are chock full of basic unchallenged and unrepentant stereotypes, linear thinking and severe narrow-mindedness.

its not that this is bad - it simply tells you what to expect from the various books' ultimate punchlines. indeed, the books go undercover as enlightened themes and tongue-in-cheek/good fun critics of the personal prejudices and assumptions of Everyman, but in telling the story, so many assumptions are made and stereotypical pictures painted that at every turn of the page, it feels like you are missing some sort of inside point - a point that is never made.

the point is never made because Harris actually takes herself seriously. the shameless stereotyping of the books, and the enlightened "we're all god's children" and "cant we all get along" theme of the books are not the snide, yet intelligent humor of a knowing author who totally wants you get the juxtaposition. no. it is merely the basic presumptions of a mystery author who is (self)assured that she, too, can dabble in the theme of exotic fantasy fiction.

i know. *holds up hands in surrender* i judge, i judge. but truly? it was the shallow writing of the first 3 pages in the first book that got me reading the series so long ago. i can remember thinking: "Oh, this oughta be rich." rich, not in the sense of dense, deep or worthy material, but rich in sense of entertaining or laughable. and how! the entire series is a study in contradictions between the writer, and her work. you can tell a lot about a person by what and how they write - fiction or non-fiction, and Harris is an open book.

she is to exotic fiction what Janet Evanovich is to mystery: the dumbed down version. A lot of fun to be with, but nothing you can respect.

having said all that - lets now pop back over to the HBO show. the best thing that happened to the Sookie story was for Harris to allow HBO to take creative license. i grant you that where HBO is going with this is still a mystery, but its a strange, weird and intriguing mystery. and if nothing else, HBO has wielded its use of basic presumptions, cliches and stereotypes unapologetically (sp?) and with apparent knowledge - and in doing so it feels like they have given the story - and miasma of suffering depicted - more dignity.

Welcome to the human race...
Finished the first season recently, am annoyed that I have to wait for the second series to start showing on cable. Like it enough so far, though.

Mack,

I respect your opinions but I don't always agree with them. I happen to also respect the writing of Harris and Evanovich. Fun is a good thing IMO. I'm all for it. I don't not see Harris as any sort of copy of Hamilton at all. I love the books better than the show but the show is so much better this year.

Mack,
I respect your opinions but I don't always agree with them.
oh yeah? meet me outside, bleached. bring it. you dont want any of this. *backs away waggling fingers like "c'mon!"*

kidding! kidding! i enjoyed that because you sounded like you were throwing down the gauntlet at me.

I love the books better than the show but the show is so much better this year.
hey, doesnt she have a new book coming out in the series this year? that should be interesting, because i find myself wondering what could she possibly write about next?

LOL!

Yes, she has a new book out. I've already read it. It includes the story of Eric's embrace which is different from the TV show. As always, I enjoyed this tasty morsel but it was over too fast.

BTW, are y'all saying the season is already wrapped up?

Major dislike on waiting two extra week with no episode, especially when it's the last frickin episode! Trust it's 90mins or something