Dune (2009?)

Tools    

shoot me if there is a thread for this already - i cant find it if it exists.

apparently they are rebooting this classic! I like Peter Berg's acting - his directing - well, the jury's still out on that one, but I love Dune and a reboot can only be a good thing! nice to have more it, and after the HORRID miniseries, it can only get better from here. kind of wonder if this take will include information/background from the Brian Herbert novels?

Peter Berg is attached to direct a bigscreen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel

"Dune" for Paramount Pictures. New Amsterdam's Richard Rubenstein, who produced Sci Fi's "Dune" and sequel

"Children of Dune," is also producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Film 44, Berg's production banner. John

Harrison and Mike Messina exec produce.
you get the sense that this one isnt going to make a 2009 release, because there's so little info out there. in fact, in some quarters its considered a 2010 release.

thoughts? info? anybody know anymore, or got any production/release pics?

oh Im with you mark, but then, the Lynch version is what got me to read the series and become a Frank Herbet fan (of course, I was an impressible child at the time, and I was very impressed). nothing so far is better than the lynch version, though there are those who disagree. i thought the miniseries was very true to the letter of the book, in that it got a lot more of the story into the films - but you know what? Lynch had far less to work with than the miniseries director, from a time and money perspective (i imagine), and I STILL think Lynch did a better job of capturing the atmosphere and spirit of the book. plus it had patrick stewart and linda hunt. what more can you ask for?

i mean god - the miniseries had Muadib as a BLONDE. Save us all.

A system of cells interlinked
I, of course, prefer the Lynch version, being the big Lynch fan that I am. Tonally, there can be no improvement, I think. As I think I have mentioned before, Dune isn't a screen-worthy story. So much goes on in the minds of the characters... Dune is best experienced in book form, IMO.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I've never been a fan of Dune in any form. I'm not sure why so many people think it rocks. Educate me?

Many consider it to be the finest work of Science Fiction ever created. it sits at number one on the Top 100 Sci-Fi books of all time.

The reasons are many, depending on whom you talk to.

The book is incredibly imaginative in its trappings, but manages to cover almost all pertinent issues of humanity in a succinct way.

- Clearly, it deals with man's struggle for valuable resources, and how that affects the environment, man's political world-view, foreign relations, and society in general.

- The Freudian concepts of Id vs Ego are also extensively explored. The sequences featuring The Box, a test Paul must take to prove his humanity is one of the focal points of this concept.

- Revolution is also clearly a theme, as we follow our intrepid hero as he rises to power and begins a Jihad against an oppressive Imperialistic Empire.

- Personal Spirituality is another focus of the book, and one of my favorite aspects. I enjoy Paul's spiritual rebellion against the rigid rules of the established religious paradigms. I find his soul searching and personal discovery deep and thought-provoking.

- Like many great epics, such as Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, it borrows heavily from ancient classics, such as The Odyssey. The classic 'rise of the hero" storyline is told here, in a brilliantly creative and forward thinking way. Herbert's predictions of various technologies and the pitfalls associated with the advances was nothing short of visionary, IMO; his thoughts on computers, or technology in general getting out of hand, in particular.

He discusses and theorizes on other issues such as gender roles, drug use, time/space travel, societal class, mysticism, corruption, information control, and last but not least, The Messiah.

So, Herbert created an incredibly detailed fictional society...no, not society, UNIVERSE, while still managing to inject pretty much every important human issue that concerns humans in a deep and thoughtful way. The stuff isn't just tacked on, in other words. I guess that is the best way I can sum it up.

the man is brilliant. period. battlestar galactica could sit on a dime and swings it legs in the shadow of the political and moral intrigue of the Dune universe. plots within plots, and very interesting! but it is true that the movies dont do the books justice - which is why you ultimately have to read at least the first book (the original first book) Dune.

ever actually read Dune bleached?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I tried to read it but I'm pretty sure, I just couldn't get into it and therefore, didn't finish it.

the man is brilliant. period. battlestar galactica could sit on a dime and swings it legs in the shadow of the political and moral intrigue of the Dune universe. plots within plots, and very interesting! but it is true that the movies dont do the books justice - which is why you ultimately have to read at least the first book (the original first book) Dune.

ever actually read Dune bleached?

I never saw any of them. However, I want to. They are supposedly "acclaimed sci-fi masterpieces."
As I said, the film is flawed. It's the one film Lynch refuses to revisit, even in discussion. He had his name removed from the credits. I do think the longer, restored cut tells the story a bit better, but, the film is what it is.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, except for the tone he creates.

Some of the effects have not aged well, so, be warned!

As Mack said - Just read the book.

I remember seeing DUNE in the theater for the first time, I was 10 years old, and I thought " WOW, this movie is sooo cool looking! And the costumes and scenery are amazing!...I wish I could just understand what's going on". I've seen the movie about 40 times since then and have read the book about 3 times to boot, and DUNE will always remain one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. But as Sedai mentioned, it probably wasn't a great idea to try and translate all of what goes on in the book into a movie, there is just too much going on at any given time through-out the novel, to try and get it across in under, say, 14 hours. Lynch did the best he could given the limitations he had to work under, his vision is spectacular. I don't see anyone else having any more success at it than David, and quite frankly, I think there has to be a better way to spend the budget required to make another DUNE movie. Isn't this society just begging for a remake of "The RUNNING MAN"?