Toy Story 4 - yea or nay?

→ in
Tools    

I am a die hard Toy Story fan since I loved the first 3 installment from the bottom of my heart. Last week I purchased the Toy Story Marathon ticket to see all 4 movies on Toy Story 4 opening night.

It was still amazing and heartwarming to watch through the first 3 movies, but man I left the theater with a bitter taste in my mouth after watching Toy Story 4.

This is what I rated for the entire franchise:

Toy Story 1

Toy Story 2

Toy Story 3

Toy Story 4

As you can see, the latest episode is clearly not on par with the previous in my opinion.

Here are the reasons why I didn't enjoy Toy Story 4:

1) The characters lack of consistency from the first 3 movies, especially Woody Buzz & Bo Peep.
2) The plot is a bit messy and all over the place, the reason I enjoy the first 3 movies is because simplicity is truly the beauty.
3) None of the newly introduced characters are really like-able or make me care about them a lot. Ducky and Bunny are funny but annoying. The villain is too creepy and I don't like how the villain is the one who receives empathy at the end. Also I forgot to mention that all the beloved old folks don't even have enough screen time because of those new characters.
4) The ending is just not satisfying. I did not have the same emotion compared to the other 3 movies, I left the theater confused and didn't know what direction this series was moving towards in the future.

Overall, I am very very disappointed in Toy Story 4. I am not saying it is a terrible movie. But to me this new episode does not meet the same standard from the previous.

I see a lot of people still giving high praise and I would love to hear different opinions.

shoulda just left it with the third

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

It's Only Weird If You Make It Weird
I don't know. I loved Gabi Gabi. Though I do see your point. It was weird that she was trying to steal woody's voice box, a good toy wouldn't do that

Welcome to the human race...
3) None of the newly introduced characters are really like-able or make me care about them a lot. Ducky and Bunny are funny but annoying. The villain is too creepy and I don't like how the villain is the one who receives empathy at the end. Also I forgot to mention that all the beloved old folks don't even have enough screen time because of those new characters.
Isn't that kind of the deal with SId's toys in the first one, though? We first get introduced to them as these ugly monstrosities who Woody and Buzz immediately fear and distrust only for them to be revealed as sympathetic victims of Sid's cruelty who ultimately help Woody and Buzz escape. Then the sequels have Stinky Pete and Lotso starting off as charming and likeable only to be revealed as the major antagonists of their respective movies where even their ostensibly sympathetic motives (Pete never getting bought and played with, Lotso being "abandoned" by his owner) do nothing to justify some of their more horrible actions (especially Lotso leaving the other toys to die at the dump). Considering how I've seen people complain about Lotso essentially being a rehash of Pete, it makes sense that Gabby Gabby switches things up by adding the creepy-at-first nature of Sid's toys while also making sure she's never actually that bad - she's willing to let Woody go once she has his voicebox (which doesn't stop him from talking to other toys anyway), which is a far cry from Pete and Lotso wanting to imprison and/or abuse the other characters indefinitely. There's also the matter of how she serves as a foil for Woody's own anxieties about not getting played with anymore, which even Woody realises before too long and which ultimately justifies the decision to make her a more empathetic character.

Also, I figure that the rest of the main toy group gets a pass because Bo has to make up for not being in 3 at all. Better than having them figure into the plot "just because".

4) The ending is just not satisfying. I did not have the same emotion compared to the other 3 movies, I left the theater confused and didn't know what direction this series was moving towards in the future.
That's assuming it does move forward - the ending does alter the status quo enough that it would be even more contrived to do a fifth one, but I could make the case that it's at least as good a culmination of the series' overall arc as the third one was.

In my review of 3, I stated that if there was never to be a Toy Story 4, I would be OK with that. When I wrote that, I had no idea that they were actually going to do a Toy Story 4.

In my review of 3, I stated that if there was never to be a Toy Story 4, I would be OK with that. When I wrote that, I had no idea that they were actually going to do a Toy Story 4.

And do you mind that they have made a fourth?

The Critic (cartoon character) had a good rule to follow for watching movies: never watch something with a number bigger than 2 after the title.
I guess they missed out on Toy Story 3 then

Yeah, I thought Toy Story 3 was great and a great way to wrap up the series. I haven't seen the new one. There are a number of bad third movies in series but there's also Star Trek IV and VI.

1. Toy Story 3
  2. Toy Story 4
  3. Toy Story

It's been way to long since I watched Toy Story 2. I'd revisit Toy Story the side toys didn't have much to do in that one as well and the animation was really bad. Visually the film is on another level, and I did enjoy the story and some of the humor. I enjoyed that they gave us a female villain I was less enthused with all the female characters.

Going to watch the movie tomorrow on Friday baby!!!