The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Incredibly stylish eighties movie that somehow got released in 2011.
With yet another perfect intro/opening scene. Drive was my #14.
Shoplifters is very good, in my top 200, altough a bit low on re-watchability for me personally.

SEEN 68/84
BALLOT 17/25

That's awesome that Shoplifters made it and so high on the list too. 15 people voted for it. Well done Mofo! Koreeda's best and a return to top form. I haven't seen Like Father, Like Son though and should get on that. I like Drive quite a bit too but not enough to rank on my list. Top 50 probably. I don't really like anything else Nicolas Winding Refn has done.

3. The Act of Killing (2012)
4. Holy Motors (2012)
6. Shoplifters (2018)
8. Under the Skin (2014)
9. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
12. Joker (2019)
14. The Turin Horse (2011)
17. Birdman (2014)
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
22. Moonlight (2016)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The trick is not minding
Shoplifters is my #1 pick. Really stoked it made it. That final scene crushed me.

Drive is perhaps my favorite Refn film.

Both are masterpieces.

Never heard of Shoplifters but now I’m gonna check it out.

Drive is ok. I’m not as enamored with Refn and Gosling as a lot of other folks.

I thought Shoplifters would be right up my alley when I first heard about it sometime back. Right from the get go I was hooked and very interested to learn more about these people and their very different type of lifestyle.

I loved the unique world that the movie shows us. I liked the actors and the characters they portrayed too. They were intriguing and seemed like real people and not just mere props in some movie. I don't even know what city they were in, but it doesn't matter as it was like a candid view of a world that one would never see and to me that's cool.

Drive I've not seen it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
22. Interstellar

A wild ride through space that I got the joy of experiencing on Imax. Nolan is one of my favourite filmmakers and people complain that he's too cold and calculated and lacks any real emotional pull in his films. The sequence where McConaughey receives 23 years of messages from his family that he missed says otherwise.

24. The Avengers

If any Marvel film was going to make my list, it was going to be this one. The first big gamble of "can this actually work?" and it paid off in spades. Whedon has a history of juggling a large cast of characters and he gave each one their "comic book moment".

5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Such a wonderful theatre experience. Seeing something new up on the screen after being bombarded with the same type of animated style for years. A killer soundtrack, emotional elements that work and enough wild energy to make you wanting to come back for multiple viewings, Spider-Verse is one of the best Spider-Man movies ever made.

4. Inception

I guess two Nolan movies made my list. Inception is a film that is littered with expository sequences and every time I watch the film, I'm still glued to the screen. Debate the ending all you want, this was a thrilling mind-bender that stands the test of time due to the practical effects (save for one funny shot). Inception is one of the decade's best films.

7. Get Out

People may be overrated Peele these days, but Get Out is a genuine masterpiece in my mind. So well written, expertly directed with confidence and has just the right amount of humour sprinkled throughout. Get Out will go down in history as one of the best horror films of all-time.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
4. Inception (2010)
5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
7. Get Out (2017)
8. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
9. Nightcrawler (2014)
12. Spotlight (2015)
13. Toy Story 3 (2010)
17. Shutter Island (2010)
18. Prisoners (2013)
20. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)
22. Interstellar (2014)
23. Ex Machina (2015)
24. The Avengers (2012)
25. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

I know for a fact that 16,19, and 21 won't make it, but I'm really holding out hope that my number 10 makes it in.

It's been a while since my last reply to the topic. Boyhood, Into The Spiderverse, Inception and Get Out was in my ballot.

2)A Separation
3)Burning
5)Boyhood
6)Room
8)The Favourite
9)Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
12)Black Swan
14)Toy Story 3
16)Get Out
19)Interstellar
23)The Revenant
25)Inception

I like Boyhood because most generally about the type of shooting. It is a really good job to shoot someone for years and apply a fiction. To be honest, I didn't really focused on the plot and the idea of the movie but all of the details about the shooting was incredible sufficiently. I haven't seen any Linklater movie yet and as I know his type is a little bit difficult but revolutionary. Anyway I'm happy to see it in this position.

Into The Spiderverse is a really good animation and the movie did everything according to the multiverse idea (the animation type, the idea, the message etc.). Also I am a big Spidey fan, but I can say that except that it is really one of the best in 2010s and it sits in a good place.

Inception was the last one in my ballot. It is one of the best in Nolan movies especially about the concept of the movie, but I lost it just because the unnecessary action part of it. I don't know why but I could enjoy Matt Damon part in Interstellar, but I didn't need any action part of ınception (except hotel scene).

And of course Get Out had to be one of the best in this list. Actually I excepted that in a higher ranking. But anyway, it is a really good example of adapting a something like a real life subject to an interesting horror and fantasy movie. Really good scenario!

I've seen The Irishman, Django, Avengers, Birdman and Hateful Eight. Irishman was fine, but too long I think it was the only problem maybe. I liked Django and Hateful 8, but I guess I had some difficulties about embracing Tarantino movies for a long time. I am a big fan of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill and the feeling difference about these 4 movies is affecting me about Tarantino. Birdman is one of the movies I couldn't put on my list and I really wanted to. I guess this type of movies just don't raise any emotion in me.

I guess 4 more movies in my ballot that I think absolutely to see in the list. But there are some movies that I am really surprised for not seeing, anyway maybe some surprises can show up.

Shoplifters was my #7. It was my gateway Koreeda, so while it’s not my favorite of his anymore, it’s the one that got me into him. Such a simple heartfelt premise, but totally surprising in the structure. A matter of fact kidnapping that leaves you squarely on the side of the kidnappers. Not easy to accomplish, but Koreeda so easily accomplishes it that we forget we are watching a crime most of the time. My favorite directors easily convey the depths of humanity in a sympathetic way and Koreeda is way up on my list of directors who do that.

I rewatched Drive before making my list because I hadn’t seen it since it came out. It wasn’t as good for me this time. Maybe because it doesn’t feel as original anymore. Maybe because the character depth isn’t quite there. Regardless, moving from a 5 star to a 4 star movie means I still love it. It also means it wasn’t on my list though, and I consider this a bit high on the list.

"Shoplifters" was my number eight. A film that was recommended to me in the foreign film countdown. Much like another film that is high up on my balllet.

Haven't gotten around to see "Drive" yet. Need to remedy this because it sounds like my type of film.

Haven't gotten around to see "Drive" yet. Need to remedy this because it sounds like my type of film.

That's what Sarah Deming thought. https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-drive-trailer

Shoplifters was my #7. It was my gateway Koreeda, so while it’s not my favorite of his anymore, it’s the one that got me into him. Such a simple heartfelt premise, but totally surprising in the structure. A matter of fact kidnapping that leaves you squarely on the side of the kidnappers. Not easy to accomplish, but Koreeda so easily accomplishes it that we forget we are watching a crime most of the time. My favorite directors easily convey the depths of humanity in a sympathetic way and Koreeda is way up on my list of directors who do that.

Well said.

Have you seen 'Broker'. Those themes that you mention are tested to the limit.

I thought Shoplifters was excellent but it didn't really affect me or stay with me.

I was disappointed in Drive the 1st time but then loved it the 2nd time. A contender for my ballot that must've been at least partially influenced by The Driver (1978).

That's exciting seeing Shoplifters show up at this point. Very unexpected, although I'm not always aware of when certain films are being talked about. I had it at #21. Drive is great. 2011 was a good year in film for me, and it could go either way whether I love it more or Take Shelter. I had it at #3.

My List:
2. Take Shelter (#67)
3. Drive (#17)
4. Midnight in Paris (#45)
5. The Shape of Water (#52)
9. Nightcrawler (#55)
11. Birdman (#21)
13. Burning (#35)
14. Get Out (#19)
15. A Separation (#90)
16. Ex Machina (#49)
21. Shoplifters (#18)
22. Knives Out (#74)
23. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
25. The Mill and the Cross (1-pointer)

Well said.

Have you seen 'Broker'. Those themes that you mention are tested to the limit.
I cannot wait. I preordered it last week. Yeah, I definitely got similar theme vibes from tge trailer. Hope I haven’t over hyped.

Shoplifters was terrific, but I didn't vote for it. Might have on another day.

Drive was okay, but didn't do too much for me. No vote.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #18. Shoplifters (2018) - I saw it about two years after it came out. It is a good member of this so fashionable these days Far East wave. It deserves to be in top 100 list of the decade, maybe not so high. Anyway, I cut it early of my consideration stuff, would be probably around #70 for me.
- (77/100).
---

• #17. Drive (2011) - Saw it couple of years ago, noticing its popularity in film forums. It is OK, entertaining... △
(73/100).

Quite apparent how they took the superb character performed by Ryan O'Neal in the great movie classic The Driver (1978).
- (96/100)

---

Can't say I've ever heard of Shoplifters, so no go from me. I still haven't seen Drive but it's on my watchlist.

My List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#4. Silver Linings Playbook #24
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65