What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Today I got:

Film Noir Dark Side of Cinema volume 10 blu ray set (includes Flesh and Fury, The Square Jungle, World in My Corner)

The Ten Commandments 4K/blu ray steelbook

Today I got:

The Banshees of Inisherin blu ray
The Count Yorga Collection Arrow blu ray set
Gothic Fantastico Arrow blu ray set

Today I got The Uninvited Criterion blu ray, Everything Everywhere All At Once blu ray and the best of Abbott and Costello volume 3 dvd.

It's not exactly a movie, but it is very cinematic - A DVD set of the old The Outer Limits episodes from the mid-60's. Sci-Fi has rarely been smarter than these episodes, which I am savoring. Being an anthology, each episode had a different cast, subject matter and setting. They had top-drawer writers, each doing a condensed 54 minute episode on something weird. Cinematography was done on film, excellent quality black and white, now scanned for hi-def. The low budget and lack of any significant FX meant that the "creatures" were "rubber-suited-monsters" and the music repeated in the episodes, but it didn't matter that much because the were mainly metaphors for the spiritual or psychological condition of the human characters. I've seen episodes sporadically over the years, but having this set put them on my current radar. Great stuff.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I bought the slasher film Trick and the psychological horror film Unsane on a whim. I haven't bought DVDs and Blu-Rays in awhile and I feel like I want to start building up my physical collection again. I found them both for $2.50 (total) at Dollar Tree. I was surprised to see them. They aren't major films or anything, but I didn't expect to find them for that low.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Loving Vincent (2017)

Experimental adult animated biographical drama film about the life of the painter Vincent van Gogh.

This better be as good as you say! <shakes fist>
I watched the Everything Will Be OK short many years ago, FWIW.

WWII spy movie directed by Lewis Gilbert (Alfie, Moonraker, Educating Rita) I've heard good things about and that isn't streaming anywhere.

The Uninvited (1944)

Since it says "DVD" and not movie, I'll do another one of a TV series - Kolchak, The Night Stalker a complete DVD set. It was a 70's, fairly short lived TV series about Karl Kolchak, a nosy newspaper reporter who, week after week, stumbles into something scary and not part of the world as we know it according to the experts on reality. Of course, nobody believes him except the folks watching the show. "Debbie wanted to be successful. She should have settled for being alive".

Darren McGavin (The Christmas Story) was terrific as the actor/narrator, Kolchak, armed with a film camera, a typewriter and a great rumply suit and hat. Allegedly, the show inspired the X Files. You can also stream it with commercials, but I like the no-ad DVD version.

https://www.nbc.com/kolchak-the-nigh...ripper/3980757

And....this one - "Bone Chilling Horror 10 Movie Collection". I haven't started it yet, but what with The Ring, What Lies Beneath, The Haunting and Stephen King's Graveyard Shift, as well as 6 others, it looks like a good one.

The Haunting from 1963 I hope. I love that movie.
This one's a 1999 remake starring Liam Neeson. I do recall the older one.

It's not exactly a movie, but it is very cinematic - A DVD set of the old The Outer Limits episodes from the mid-60's. Sci-Fi has rarely been smarter than these episodes, which I am savoring. Being an anthology, each episode had a different cast, subject matter and setting. They had top-drawer writers, each doing a condensed 54 minute episode on something weird. Cinematography was done on film, excellent quality black and white, now scanned for hi-def. The low budget and lack of any significant FX meant that the "creatures" were "rubber-suited-monsters" and the music repeated in the episodes, but it didn't matter that much because the were mainly metaphors for the spiritual or psychological condition of the human characters. I've seen episodes sporadically over the years, but having this set put them on my current radar. Great stuff.

I was just thinking today that the tumbleweeds episode took something so ordinary and made it so terrifying.