The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I hear ya, I just feel like maybe I didn't watch enough of the "relevant" movies, as they are being revealed here, to be qualified for this.

It doesn't matter what movies you watched, as long as you watched enough movies to make a list that you are happy with.

If you haven't seen enough of the "relevant" movies, then you have a bunch of movies to add to your watchlist. If you think some of them would have made your list, then just make a custom list of your new Top 25, or even as high as your Top 100.

These lists are supposed to be fun, so just enjoy the countdown, and maybe find some new favorite movies along the way.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You sound like me! My movie taste is far outside of the range of the average MoFo, making me feel like an outsider (which is OK by me). I use to watch new movies alot, but then almost totally gave up on them a few years ago and focused on deep discovery of 20th century movies.

Sit the 2020s out? Don't we have some years before that countdown will be done? Or am I missing something?

I think my taste might be the farthest from everyone here. (That's why I stopped joining the HoFs. )

At this point, it looks like I might only have one or two movies on my list that will make the countdown. And it's not because I haven't watched enough movies, because I've seen a lot of the movies that made the countdown so far. I guess that just means that the rest of you just picked the wrong movies for your lists.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. The Lighthouse was my #22. Aside from the undisputed classic that is Resident Evil: Retribution, this was the only horror movie on this list. While most films that come under the "elevated horror" umbrella tend to be annoyingly pretentious due to their apparent need to disengage from genre conventions in an attempt at respectability, The Lighthouse manages to be one of the rare films where its artistically distinct approach does genuinely work in its favour. The black-and-white 4:3 cinematography and relentless commitment to depicting potentially alienating period details such as grimy surfaces and archaic diction certainly give it credibility; what does set it apart is that, underneath the sinister gloom and potentially supernatural occurrences, it's something of a workplace comedy with Dafoe and Pattinson constantly getting on each other's nerves as the isolation wears away at their sanity. It's a tough balance to strike but it nails it very well. As for Incendies, I've only seen it once and liked it well enough, but I have no idea how it'd hold up on rewatch (if at all).

The truth is in here
Well set sail already, because if anyone tells you that adults don't watch Spongebob, they need to get out more.
I didn't know other SpongeBob fans on this forum existed

I forgot the opening line.
28. I guess Mad Max : Fury Road (I was having strong You Were Never Really Here vibes but that film's opportunity has gone...)

27. Could be Whiplash? There's drums in it....eehh, not my best guess.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
30. Incendies - Some movies I have to see first to digest the story, then on my second watch I can take in all the cinematography, performances and score - I'm really free then to see how it mixes together. So, I've seen Incendies once now, and it was a really solid film - it's appearance on the Foreign Language Film Countdown got me onto it I think. I have a very serious feeling that when I watch it for a second time I'm going to be blown away. It has some really strong, mind-testing moments of pure horror, and as it rolls to a close and we have all of the information to make sense of what's what, it's immediately clear why this film would have had the impact it's had. It has the kind of plot that you want to discuss with other people right away. This film was never really a contender for a spot on my ballot, considering all of the others vying for spots, and much-loved movies that I had to reluctantly cut. It's quite a coup for it to snag spot 30 - but in saying that, there are probably others who will say "I expected this to rate higher". The only time none of us can say that is for the film at number one.

29. The Lighthouse - I honestly thought The Lighthouse was no chance by this late stage. So, Hereditary is number 96 and The Lighthouse is number 29. This is something I will now internalize as the countdown teaches me how popular and well regarded some films are. I didn't love or hate The Lighthouse when I saw it. I thought Willem Dafoe was tasked by Robert Eggers into having to overact for a scene or two, and films where characters drink non-stop for portions wear me down at times. I did feel that sense of being stir crazy and I don't ever want to be tasked with keeping a lighthouse running on a lonely island. It's probably the least likely of all the films that have been revealed so far that I really want to see again. I think I can feel the psychological pain these two characters go through a little too keenly, and there's not much fun in it for me. If fate sets it up though (ie - it's late, the remote control is on the other side of the room and it appears on television) I'd see it again, just because it made number 29 here and I want to reassess.

I watched The Irishman yesterday, and it was quite impressive.

Seen 65/72

28. Drive
27. Cameraperson (yeah I know, I just like to make a slightly cleverer guess than my usual inane ones once in a while)

28. It's Such a Beautiful Day (unless you're the store clerk)
27. 12 Years a Slave (based on the lyrics, it feels like a lock)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Hee hee. I swear I will live to see you say you like a movie just once.
I wish you read my recommendations too. Just in my previous post I've praised Boyhood enough. Several more movies in my former posts were noted for their high cinema qualities.

Victim of The Night
I wish you read my recommendations too. Just in my previous post I've praised Boyhood enough. Several more movies in my former posts were noted for their high cinema qualities.
Yay! Mission accomplished. Smile on my face.
Sorry, your negative reactions are so vitriolic I guess they just really stand out. Funny as hell, though.

And there it is...the one I forgot to include - The Lighthouse, which is in my top ten and maybe, possibly cracks my top 5.

So far the list has been what I expected. Kind of underwhelming, not a lot of must see movies but that was the decade. I've seen 51/72. Watched an hour of Spring Breakers last week and I think I got enough out of that hour to count it as watched.

1. Should make it
2. No
3. Absolutely
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
5. Yeah?
6. Probably not
7. The Raid (2011)
8. No
9. Inside Out (2015)
10. No
11. Yes
12. No
13. Yes
14. Yes
15. True Grit (2010)
16. Hereditary (2018)
17. Not Sure
18. The Witch (2015)
19. No
20. Sicario (2015)
21. Doubt it
22. Interstellar (2014)
23. Not sure
24. No
25. No

A system of cells interlinked
I know they have already been said but...

28 is Get Out

and the Stargazer lyric...

We feel that our time has arrived
The world spins, while we put his dream together
A tower of stone to take him straight to the sky

Just has to be Arrival for 27.

Victim of The Night
I know they have already been said but...

28 is Get Out
I've seen Get Out 4 times and I don't understand how DeNiro beating the shit outta some guy (again) is Get Out.

It's because he and Scorsese just need to retire already and Get Out.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

A system of cells interlinked
I've seen Get Out 4 times and I don't understand how DeNiro beating the shit outta some guy (again) is Get Out.
Speling gets a bit abstract and tricky with his clues, so I was just thinking that he got that guy out of his store!

And as I mentioned, I wasn't the first person to guess that film re: that same clue.

it's something of a workplace comedy with Dafoe and Pattinson constantly getting on each other's nerves as the isolation wears away at their sanity.
Tremendous. Likening this to a workplace comedy is like professional critic stuff.
would chuckle inwardly at again.