CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

Why did 89% of the movies made in the 70's have to include a female topless scene?
Because showing women's breasts was new and exciting back then. You were not allowed to do it in the USA before that.

The 80s had a kind of odd obsession with the sax.

I think that there are instrument-cliches.

Unaccompanied Piano -- We want you to feel sad. Seriously, please be sad or at least melancholy.

Unaccompanied Electric Guitar -- Awe, general badassery.

Unaccompanied Synthesizer -- Coldness, danger, fear, dystopia.

Unaccompanied Saxaphone -- "It's Sexy time" or "I'm gettin' to old for this s**t."
Yes if you can't place a song in time and then you hear a sax solo..bingo! Its the eighties.

Yes if you can't place a song in time and then you hear a sax solo..bingo! Its the eighties.

This concert is 2002, but the song is older. Love this sax solo.

Formal cliche. If a story reveals fakery expect the fakery to be doubled or tripled. EX: A person who fakes murder will be faked out by fake murder.

This is formal property is played out for comedy in Arrested Development and Community. At the point that it's satired, the a cliche has ossified.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I can't think of any specific ones right now, but in movies, whenever someone escapes a kidnapping, and goes to the hospital, the hospital then sedates the person into unconsciousness, and this seems like it's done so no one can ask them any questions, just so the plot is not over too soon, and has to continue.

But is it a legal medical policy for hospitals to sedate people just because they have escaped kidnappings?

I can't think of any specific ones right now, but in movies, whenever someone escapes a kidnapping, and goes to the hospital, the hospital then sedates the person into unconsciousness, and this seems like it's done so no one can ask them any questions, just so the plot is not over too soon, and has to continue.

But is it a legal medical policy for hospitals to sedate people just because they have escaped kidnappings?

I am not familiar with this specific pattern, but the inaccessible witness thing is common enough. Seems like there is always an argument about the dangers of using "medicine drug" to bring the person back to consciousness.

Slapping people especially women to get them to calm down. Does that even work?
It worked for Will Smith (and he didn't even choose a woman)!

Welcome to the human race...
Does that count as a "current" cliché when Airplane! was parodying it back in 1980?

Does that count as a "current" cliché when Airplane! was parodying it back in 1980?

Oh my, I was actually thinking ongoing cliche. Actually slapping isn't much of a cliche today in movies, at least from what I've seen. I watch lots of old movies and I swear back in the day, 1930s,40s,50s etc... a slap to straighten someone out was super common. Just tonight I seen Ann Sheridan slap someone in an old 1940 Bogart film.

It’s not good to slap people.

Yes, it can work. Should you do it? You be the judge.

Don’t slap a woman. End of discussion.

I wouldn't recommend smacking anyone, male or female. I am merely commenting on the question of whether it could have the desired effect. A smack can knock someone out of an hysterical "loop". Then again, so can a kiss. So, we have two options, sexual assault or simple battery.

It’s not good to slap people.
Of course, agreed.

Don’t slap a woman. End of discussion.
Nor a man. I know of a woman who slapped a teenage boy who was calling her filthy names. He called the cops and she had to go to jail. It's the law and the kid knew it and bated her until she got mad enough to slap him.

It's NOT like in the movies (mostly old movies where it's super common to see).